Sign in with
Your question

£1800 budget - P67, 2600k, Cooling - advice

Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2011 8:58:01 PM

Hi there,

I'm bying a new system on the next feel weeks and I was considering all the possible options when I end up with this:

I7 2600k (http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Inte...(Sandybridge)+Socket+LGA1155+Processor+-+Retail+?productId=43214&source=googleps)
GA-P67A-UD7 (http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin...)
Corsair H70
8gb Dominator GT 1866mhz (http://www.computers4-u.co.uk/dominator-cmt8gx3m4a1866c...)
2 x GTX 580 (maybe 3gb) (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/255825?utm_source=google&...)
OCZ Technology 120GB Vertex (http://www.dabs.com/products/ocz-technology-120gb-verte...)
Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W Modular (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/235557?utm_source=google&...)
HAF 932 - I already own this one

My choice for the UD7 is due to its price and because it's able to run 2 pcie x16 on SLI.

My questions are:

I'm moving to Brazil in april and taking this pc with me, due to the temperatures over there I'll be strugling a litle to keep the system cool. My HAF has the 3 big fans although I was considering to swap the side one for 4 120mm fans from your point of view guys will this help? What is the best 120mm fan to put there? Is there a way to improve this point?

My other issue is related to the Graphics Card. I've chosen the GTX 580, mainly if its 3gb. I'll be using this on a normal 1920x1080 Screen and that, is where my problem starts, I'm purchansing a 3D projector in probably 2 months time, I don't know the exactly the resolution so I ask, is 2 x GTX 580 3gb too much for it??

Also I'm open to any advice and tips and I really apreciate any help.

Thanks

Gus
Obs. Sorry my bad English
February 20, 2011 5:28:28 PM

I will probably gonna get 4 of this Scythes for the side. But what about the H70 stock fans, I was thinking 2 deltas (I know its loud, very loud) controlled by a Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme (30w max output per channel) so maybe I would put 2 at the same port, is it a good idea??
Thanks
Related resources
February 20, 2011 6:21:11 PM

-I'd take the ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution Over the Giga

-1867 RAM is wasted on SB platform. Since you apparently looking for every bit of performance, I'd suggest a move away from CAS 9 and get Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) CAS 7 Model 996981

- I'd try and find Asus / EVGA / MSI models of the 580 as they are generally more overclockable

- Changing the PSU would be my strongest recommendation.

Antec HCP 1200
Corsair HX1000
Corsair AX1200

- Given your heat concerns be aware that the H70 can not compete with the better air coolers such as the Prolimatech Megahalems, Cooler Master V6 GT, Scythe Mugen 2and Thermalright Venomous X. If interested in a water based system, the Antec Kuhler 620 w/ 1 fan had a temperatures of 65.9 whereas the H70 had 67.7 with the twin fans set at low and 65.3 with fans at high .... result is a bit noisy. When fitted with a common 113 cfm Delta fan tho, the Kulhler really kicked some butt:

Thermaltake Jing 69.7
Corsair H50 68.1
Coolit Vantage A.L.C. 67.8
Corsair H70 64.7
Coolit ECO A.L.C. 64.3
Cooler Master V6 GT 59.5
Prolimatech Super Mega 59.4
Antec Kühler H2O 620 58.7
Thermalright Venomous X 58.0

The H50 is a Corsair re-labeled Asetek LC550. For the Kuhler 620, Antec incorporated some design improvements, though apparently based on the LC550, the 620 has several unique feature. Most notable of these are the bigger and more flexible hoses.

The H70, with its double-thickness radiator, is a re-labeled version of Asetek's LC570 OEM cooler. Antec again has a similar design which it showed at CES called the 920. I expect it will include the same design improvements seen on the 620 and I also expect it will hit shelves before SB mobos are reissued.

BMR writes:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
But what I do know are the performance figures I got in my testing, which place the Kühler solidly in the lead of all other all-in-one water coolers that I've tested. Frankly its performance is almost unbelievably good: its stock-fan performance is 7.2 degrees cooler than Corsair H50, whose radiator appears to be identical. With the high-speed Delta fan on both coolers, the performance gap widens to 9.4 degrees. I can't come up with any explanation other than increased flow rate, but in the end that's really irrelevant, as the performance speaks for itself. Its only competitor in the all-in-one water cooling market is the Corsair H70, which achieves similar stock-fan performance with its thicker radiator and dual fans. However, the H70 is both noisier and significantly more expensive than Antec's Kühler.

Priced to compete with high-end air coolers, the Kühler offers similar performance and a lower noise level. It's the first compact liquid cooler I've tested that can honestly be considered as competition for the likes of the Cooler Master V6 GT, Prolimatech Megahalems, and Thermalright Venomous X.

Installing the Kühler is easier than most other compact liquid coolers due to the flexibility and length of its soft rubber hoses. ....The performance of the Antec Kühler H20 620 was excellent, exceeding that of every other water cooler I've tested and encroaching on the performance range of the very best air coolers. The stock fan is quiet at full speed and very quiet at low speed.....The Antec Kühler H2O 620 is the best-performing water cooler I've tested,.....

I hate to give a whole hearted recommendation to any product unless I have used it and I have long been a critic of these "faux water coolers" as they never appeared do anything better than the top tier air coolers. The Kuhler 620 has me wavering however. It calls for removing the standard case fan at the case rear and replacing it with the provided fan. I'm anxious to see how it would perform, leaving the case fan in place (pull) and using cooler provided fan to (push) sandwich the radiator between.
February 20, 2011 9:01:41 PM

Cheers Jack for your help but I've got some more questions.

1- About the Asus Ws I'm considering it but the design of UD7 is really nice, should I consider also the Maximus IV Extreme?

2- This mushkin 996981 is impossible to find here in UK do u have another model in mind?

3- GTX 580 I was thinking about the 3gb model cause the projector but I have no clue how much Vram its going to use in it with 3d. From your point of view what is the best choice: 1 GTX 580 1,5gb or 2 GTX 580 1,5gb or 1 GTX 580 3gb or 2 1GTX 580 3gb?
The only thing I'm sure is that I'm going to wait 2 more weeks to see if the GTX 590 will show up or not.

4- Changed to Antec HCP 1200.

5- For £20 less I would go for this Kuhler 620 mainly after read some reviews. But definitely with two Deltas and F... noise. My problem will be if its gonna fit with 4 Scythes on the side painel, I can smell trouble coming.

Anyway, thank u very much for your help guys, any more questions I won't hesitate in ask.

Gus
!