Sign in with
Your question

Review my first gaming rig (1600€/2200$/1400£)

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2011 1:24:49 PM

I'm new to computerbuilding, so i would really appreciate the help.

I'm going to use this computer for

1. Gaming: FPS (TF2,Crysis,Borderlands,L4D...->all steam games) , MMO's (like WoW), Indie games...

2.Watching movies: I'm a huge moviefan

3.In the future i'll do video-editing

Please read the notes i put in with some components.

MONITOR:

MEDION AKOYA 23,6" TFT screen - 1920 x 1080 (16:9)

CPU:

i5-2500 - I will not OC

GPU:

AMD Radeon HD 6950 or 6870 (don't know which one yet)

HDD:

WD Caviar Black 2TB

Motherboard:

ASUS P8P67 DELUXE - Note: I've read about some problems with the DELUXE. Should i be worried or something? Is it a stable MOBO?

OD:

Samsung SH B123L

RAM:

G-skill Ripjaws (2x4GB) model: F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - Note: I found this in QVL list for my P8P67 DELUXE motherboard, but not at the QVL of G-skill. Is this a simple mistake, or is it non-compatible?

CASE:

NZXT Phantom Black

SPEAKERS:

Logitech 5.1 Z 506

PSU:

Cooler master silent pro gold 700W

KEYBOARD:

Logitech Illuminated keyboard

MOUSE:

Logitech G500 mouse

Final notes:

1. I'm going to purchase all the components this week (first week of february)

2. I'm living in Belgium, Europe. We use € around here, but i'm OK if u say prices in $ / £ or link to Newegg or some other site, because i have a currency converter with me at all times.

Thanks for reading through my post.
January 30, 2011 2:40:37 PM

It's easy to determine which discreet gpu to get for gaming. Look at the 1920x1200 benchmarks of the games you're playing. Pick out the fastest card that you can afford. 30 fps is minimum. Old games on new cards won't get new reviews so I wouldn't worry about those benchmarks.

http://www.techspot.com/review/349-amd-radeon-6950/page...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...

The specs look good to me. FYI, if you get a 3rd-party cooler better than the stock one, the cpu can turboclock to 3.7ghz most of the time, given the heat limit. I'm on the stock cooler with 2500k. It's not 3.7ghz all the time. Something like COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 would suffice. It's not required though.
January 30, 2011 3:07:42 PM

I don't bother with QVL lists, because a RAM set doesn't need to be on it to be compatible, just make sure it is DDR3, dual channel and has low voltage (at or below 1.6V) because Sandy Bridge is even more adverse to high memory voltage than Nehalem.

Do you really need the features of the Deluxe - if you can tell me what features it has over a cheaper motherboard, then you are probably justified in getting it, but if you can't then I would question whether you needed it.
Personally I would probably just go for the Asrock P67 Extreme4 based on the Anandtech reviews, but I haven't read a review of the Deluxe yet so don't know why it justifies being called Deluxe.
Related resources
January 30, 2011 3:23:45 PM

Silvune said:
I don't bother with QVL lists, because a RAM set doesn't need to be on it to be compatible, just make sure it is DDR3, dual channel and has low voltage (at or below 1.6V) because Sandy Bridge is even more adverse to high memory voltage than Nehalem.

Do you really need the features of the Deluxe - if you can tell me what features it has over a cheaper motherboard, then you are probably justified in getting it, but if you can't then I would question whether you needed it.
Personally I would probably just go for the Asrock P67 Extreme4 based on the Anandtech reviews, but I haven't read a review of the Deluxe yet so don't know why it justifies being called Deluxe.

More PCI slots, the USB 3 front panel box, more USB ports at the back...
February 1, 2011 3:21:41 PM

ordered everything...
!