Sign in with
Your question

Gaming/Video Editing System £900 ($1400) Budget

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2011 2:01:57 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks from now.

Budget Range: £900 (1400$) is the absolute most i can go

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Frapsing gameplay, surfing the internet, watching movies, general computer work.

Parts Not Required: Mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any trusted website that delivers to England. I hear BestBuy have a store in England now?

Country of Origin: England

Parts Preferences: Razer Amansi Keyboard, 24"-27" Monitor, Windows 7

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe if it will provide the best bang for the buck

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

Additional Comments: A window would be nice with a blue led but it isn't really all that important. I want to be able to fraps gameplay and play smooth at 1920x1090/1200 resolution whether im frapsing or not no matter what game im playing. I mostly play: WoW, SC2, Minecraft, LoL, Fallout, CoD, pretty much most things but not so much the extremely demanding things like Crysis. oh and i'd like alot of hard drive space
January 25, 2011 3:03:47 PM

well..... For £900 you can get yourself a very nice rig indeed. But i guess you'll be spending £200+ on the monitor. try www.overclockers.co.uk

they offer a wide range of products, if you want to build yourself. or they offer things like premades that you can tweak to your prefrence. witrh that sort of budget i'm thinking an Core i5 system, with a gtx 460.

Just check them out and hit us back.

Regards
Related resources
January 25, 2011 3:21:58 PM

looks nice! im just worried how it would perform when im frapsing? Also what if i didn't include the monitor price in the budget, would that increase the systems performance by a lot?
January 25, 2011 3:27:12 PM

if you spent the whole £900 on just a tower you could get an extreme gaming system. also, if you buy your bits and bobs seperately and build yourslef, you'll save alot, but you wont get the pre-overclock. which would be fantastic for capturing high quality video whilst gaming.

The bigger you clock speed, the smoother fraps will run. i would say overclockers for pre-builts and newegg for home building.
January 25, 2011 4:03:54 PM

Kgtv are you planning to build your pc or buy pre-built?

If your planning to build then i reccomend you go with the new intel proccesors, sandy bridge ( the i5 2500k for your budget)

I recently build my computer for a little bit less then your budget but did not buy a monitor so it does depend on how much performance you want and future proovity.

I would reccomend looking at Scan.co.uk today only deals as sometimes they have a lot of items you might be thinking of purchasing, a few quid less but 4 items a few quid less makes a good £10-30 saving. If you have a avforums account and 20 posts, you can also get free delivery with them. otherwise other websites you can use in the UK are overclockers.co.uk, Ebuyer.com, Dabs.co.uk, aria.co.uk, novatech.co.uk etc etc. Newegg does not ship to the UK though so you won't be able to use them.

What i think will be a good build: (using scan.co.uk as reference, you can use other websites to purchase/compare prices)

Intel CPU Core i5 2500K Unlocked Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-2500k-unlo...
£176-190 (I got mine from scan.co.uk for £176 but the price has been going up so other websites will now probbably have it bit cheaper)

Asus P8P67 Pro Intel P67 Express Socket 1155 Motherboard
Asus P8P67 Pro, Intel P67 Express, S 1155, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 2200(OC), SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-p8p67-pro-intel-p67...(x16)-ddr3-2200(oc)-sata-6gb-s-sata-raid
£140 You can chose other brands between Asus, Asrock, MSI,Gigabyte, EVRA but just watch out on the features you will need, if in the future you plan to SLI/crossfire make sure the motherboard has atleast 2 x PCI-E 2.0 x16 (@atleast x8 bandwidth)

MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB AMD / ATI Graphics Card
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-hd-6950-pci-e-21...(x16)-5000mhz-gddr5-gpu-800mhz-1408-cores-dvi-mhdmi-mdp
For your budget i would reccomend this graphics card, as you can bios flash it to a radeon amd 6970 later on if you need the extra power but it will play your game choises at high settings for a good time. If you can put a little bit more cash, then you should go for a nvidia 570 that will be more futureproof and will be more worth it to SLI in the even more distant future if you need again. Brand is your choice depending on warranty and customer service you like.

Ram, at the moment, i would get 2x2gb @ 1600mhz and in the future you will be able to add another 2x2gb if you need, look at the websites i mentioned for a good deal, a lower voltage and better cas timings are nice but not really noticeable at user level. £35-50

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM Operating System
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/microsoft-windows-7-home...
£75

Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive - HDD
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ss1tb-samsung-hd103sj-sp...
£40 widely used as it is good and cheap hardrive

Samsung DVD Writer, SH-S223C/BEBE, SATA, Black, OEM
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/samsung-sh-s223c-bebe-22...
£13

Case is really your choice, just make sure to read reviews and get the size that you want and will fit.
If your going to be overclocking, you will need a custom cpu heatsink and cooler and thermal paste.
January 25, 2011 4:13:38 PM

Did i say newegg? sorry about that, i meant Novatech.

As orkie said, without the monitor and £900 you can go all out. just checked out Scan, nice website, never seen that one before.

regards
January 25, 2011 5:21:16 PM

well i was stuck between building it myself and cyberpower, ive heard its not too hard to build one on your own and the i'd like to be able to say ive done it and id be able to upgrade it on my own when needed instead of taking it into a shop. I think I'll go with the 570 then, and i also lean towards nvidia whenever having to make a decision although not sure why.

if i'm not overclocking will i not need a cooler or heatsink then?

and how hard would you rate building a computer for the first tim only going by internet guides/videos?

also orkie i see you have Lich King in your picture so I'm guessing you play WoW and was just wondering how your computer performs at max settings?

Thanks both for the replys :D 
January 25, 2011 8:57:53 PM

if your not going to overclock, you still need a CPU cooler, but retail versions of proccesors (like the one i linked) come with stock coolers, their not the best but until you need to overclock they should be fine (i'm using stock cooler atm, it's quiet and seems good, i can only hear the case fans, if i switch them off, the computer is near to silent)

It was my first time building aswell and the 2 main mistakes i made was: Ram - you need to slot it in and push with quiet a bit of force until the little clip, clips back on it's own ( it feel like the motherboard is going to snap)

CPU heatsink and fan, make sure it is inserted correctly, after you've put it on, make sure it is firmly in place - i made the mistake of inserting it in the most idiotic way ever and thus had to remove and reaply the thermal paste -> the whole reason i wanted to go with a stock cooler... not to have to put thermal paste myself.

I went for the AMD radeon 6950 as just like you, i just have this gut feeling of liking AMD, i've always though of nvidia as show offs for some reason lol. Still doesn't change that the nvidia 570 is a very nice graphics card so if you can get it without sacrificing other parts, then do so.

The hard bit when building the computer was trying to figure which cable went where, but slowly 1 by 1 it kind of starts to make sense, i also got irritated on the toolless side of the case i chose as i found it kind of cheaply and bad design ( i scrached my hardrive trying to get it inside the toolless drive). Reading the manuals carefully sometimes helps but in my case, i found every single manual relatively useless.

I did used to play WoW but have stopped for nearly 2 years now, i'm more of waiting for Warcraft 4 to get released, but i doubt it will happen any time soon if ever.I'm gonna try Starcraft 2 when i save money to buy it. :p 

I did however test my computer on crysis and on a 1280x 1024 (crappy monitor) while all other settings on max, to get between 60-80 FPS with the amd radeon 6950 and the i5 2500k

I'm happy with the speed of my new pc and it does feel nice to press the power button and be able to say, i made this. I just hope it doesn't give up on me after a few months because i haven't done something 100% perfectly xD

January 25, 2011 11:02:31 PM

did you read any books or just go by youtube? if it's a specific set of videos could you link me to them please? :p 

What would be the next level upgrade on the processor/GPU if i were to come across a little more money? ;) 

That's the feeling I'm looking for and i want to be able to attempt to fix my Desktop on my own when it fails instead of straight away going to a forum/shop :) 
January 26, 2011 3:47:13 PM

There is no need for books other than reading the manuals that come with the parts ( but like i siad, sometimes their worthless) for the parts i watched pcityourself animated videos, they are a bit outdated on certain stuff but provide a general idea of fitting the parts. it doesn't show a lot of the cabling connecting though, which was the hardest thing for me.

Upgrading further than that atm will not have much effect, for the CPU you could get the Intel i7 2600k but it will not make more than 1-3 FPS difference in games, it will speed up certain programs but unless your a heavy user of Adobe/ other intensive programs then it's not really worth it.

GPU, the 570 is seen nearly as good as the nvidia 580 which i think is the best graphics card atm, i would save the money though and in 2-3 years if certain games are not playable at max settings, get a seccond nvidia 570 ( for a lot cheaper by then)in SLI.

Same with RAM, 4gb is seen the max needed for games for now and probbably for a atleast few years but you can always add another 2x2gb later to get 8gb in total if you need.
!