• Gaming
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 17, 2010 4:10:08 AM

Hi, i need to build my self a budget gaming pc and my budget is £400 . I was hopeing some one could help me out with a good quality build that is cheap at the sametime. i dont need harddrives or optical drivers or a operating system got all that.
Thx

More about : budget gaming 400

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 17, 2010 4:22:50 AM

396 quid off EBuyer UK
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 17, 2010 5:24:48 AM

I like it :D  but the ram has gone up in price when did u get that price check? its now £60 so over £400
also the motherboard seems a bit old will that holdup?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 17, 2010 6:51:49 PM

Thx for the build :D  , any one else got any builds i can look at ?
I basicaly need something for gaming and watching 1080p videos i wont be
trying to game at 1080p though. please keep it under £400 and im from the uk so all links in £ pounds please thanks all :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 18, 2010 11:49:17 AM

Quote:
I like it :D  but the ram has gone up in price when did u get that price check? its now £60 so over £400
also the motherboard seems a bit old will that holdup?

Yep RAM prices are volatile but u can try these
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/234975

770s may not have bells and whistles like SATA/USB 3.0 but have a long and established record for no frills mobos ^^
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 19, 2010 3:47:49 AM

I think i like the psu and especialy the case from above but u bring a good point about the gtx460.
Nvidea cards and this one has phsyx right and ive been looking around and phsyx makes a big difference
on games that have phsyx. So what do u guys recomend the gtx 460 or the hd6850 also which brands(like asus power color, xfx,etc) Should i get? Thanks for your help guys its apreaciated :)  keep them coming ty
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 19, 2010 3:58:25 AM

PhysX nah but if u need CUDA then the GTX 460 is a good idea - after 400CX the successor 'builder' series aren't 80 plus certified and have weaker amps on the 12V - even staunch Corsair fans have expressed disappointed with these @@
November 19, 2010 8:02:32 PM

both the gtx 460 and the HD6850 are great cards, great overclockers and perform similarly. depends if you play any games that use phsyx if it will help or not.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 27, 2010 3:11:36 AM

For some reason my old acc disapeared and now its got me down as annoymouse well nvm that.
Heres what i put together so far using the builds u guys posted and changing some stuff my self
let me know if its ok and compatable. also im still intrested in seeing any changes u guys would make :D 
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6238/22476888.jpg
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 27, 2010 3:16:33 AM

Omg wrong pictire above (sorry about double posting but i cant edit)
picture above is from butchka i uped the wrong pic -.- heres the right one lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
November 27, 2010 9:08:51 AM

seems fine, if you want to save some money, you dont really need a 600w power supply. a good 500w power supply with 2xpci-e 6-pin should work fine. not sure how good this power supply is, ocz are a fairly good brand though and its a good price for a 600w power supply.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/204353

you could also save some money by getting a different case, its really up to you which case suits you as you can keep it for your next build aswell. the graphics card has actually gone down in price atm. its now £139.99

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/232853
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 27, 2010 6:12:07 PM

infernox_01 said:
seems fine, if you want to save some money, you dont really need a 600w power supply. a good 500w power supply with 2xpci-e 6-pin should work fine. not sure how good this power supply is, ocz are a fairly good brand though and its a good price for a 600w power supply.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/204353

you could also save some money by getting a different case, its really up to you which case suits you as you can keep it for your next build aswell. the graphics card has actually gone down in price atm. its now £139.99

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/232853

Thx for the info with the psu, i didnt even realise i had a 600w version in the cart. put it in a while back and forgot all about it never looked at it again lol. do u think a 500w one would be ok? i might be doing some overclocking to.
Also the graphic card the one for £139 has a lower clock then the one i have listed. superoverclocked edition has 815 clock while the £139 is 715. Think ill go with the ocz psu though :D 
November 27, 2010 8:22:42 PM

if you are going to be overclocking, it might not be worth getting the super overclocked. the gtx 460 is a very overclockable card. ull get to 850mhz core easy.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 27, 2010 8:31:00 PM

Sapphires 5770's run at 850/1200 mhz standard and are a little cheaper than the 460 too,
just an option
Moto
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 28, 2010 4:08:22 AM

Hiya, When i said i would be overclocking i meant the cpu but i heard u can push the gtx460 super oc past 900 core clock easy so i might give that a go. Also thx but on every bench mark ive seen a stock gtx460 beats the hd5770. the hd 5770 is good for the price though although ill stick to the gtx460 :D  Thanks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 29, 2010 6:44:59 PM

i got rid of the nzxt hades case and will be going for the cascom infernox recomended above, saved my self £32 should i spend that on a beter mobo or beter processor. Im thinking mobo because in the future when i need to upgrade parts i dont want to have to replace the whole pc and buy all new parts again instead just buy what i need. what do u guys recomend also can u give me some links to a beter processor or mobo which ever u choose. Thanks :D 

(oh waiti found out the mother board in my build does support sata 2 that was my main problem with it so i want to keep the mobo now and focus on a beter proccesor ^~^)
December 1, 2010 12:12:34 AM

Thanks infernox :)  , any way ive decided to go back to the hades case since i tried adding up all the costs of
the extra fans i would need in the casecom and it came to £50 :o , £10 less then the hades so i thought id stick
with the hades since i can see from reiviews how cool that is and i would be taking a gamble with the casecom. So im gona play it safe and as for the hd5850 it was £150 not long ago but i didnt want it because in all the reviews of the super clocked gtx460 it beats the hd5850 by quite a bit. If it was by a small ammount id go with the hd5850 and overclock :D  but nah to big of a difference. any way im almost finished with this and im gona be ordering the parts soon but there are a few things i need some advice and help before i order it all.

First thing is the ram i have two choices
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX

Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Blu

Which of these would offer beter peformance? they are priced similiary

The second thing is i want to know if my mother board is compatable with my power supply
(mother board is ASROCK M3A770DE 770 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard)
Acording to ebuyer it needs a 8 pin 12V power connector and my psu doesnt have one i think
(psu is a Be Quiet 600W Straight Power E7 )
My psu has a 8pin P8 Connector i was wondering if thats the same thing im new at building a computer this one will be my first one :D . Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far im very gratefull for it :D 
Ty :) 

(btw another thing i was worried about was that the psu has quad 12v rails with 18amp on each rail will this be ok with the gtx460 it needs 25amps ? thx:D )
a b B Homebuilt system
December 1, 2010 5:45:36 AM

Yes the m3a770de has an 8pin cpu socket, but mine runs well on 4 pins (until psu upgrade time ofc)
your P8 may be a 12v line, maybe manf's website could shine a light on that though?

Moto
December 1, 2010 10:40:11 AM

both ram are fine, hyperx blu uses a lower voltage so it could be useful if you overclock. the 8pin p8 connector is a 12v line. from the be quiet site i found this.

'The P8 plug is an extension of the P4 plug. It is equipped with eight contacts (pins), of which four provide 12V power supply and four are intended for earthing. The P8 plug is connected to the mainboard and is used for multi-core processors.'

the website also states that the max combined power of the 12v rails is 45amps/540watts, so it should run the gtx 460.
December 1, 2010 7:06:29 PM

Thanks for all the help guys :)  ill be ordering soon ;) 
Ordered it coming next week ^^

Thats great 2 days after ordering they drop the hd5870 down to £189. if they did that be4 i would have bought that
and that would have gave me beter peformance and crossfire options in the future -.-
December 7, 2010 2:22:10 AM

Hey guys im geting all the parts tmz had a few questions. Im new to pc building and i was hoping u guys could point me to some good guides and give me some tips, aslo im looking for a cpu cooler that will fit in my case and give good cooling. I dont realy want to take the side fan off. Another thing i was wondering was the temp probes that come with my case where exactly should i put these and how? with thermal tape? Thanks guys :) 

parts i ordered for refrence

Item: AMD Athlon II X3 445 3.1 GHz - Socket AM3 1.5 MB cache Retail Box Processor - Qty: 1
Item: Gigabyte GTX 460 Super OverClock Edition 1GB Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card With H.A.W.X. 2 Game Voucher - Qty: 1
Item: HAWX2 Nvidia Game Voucher - Qty: 1
Item: ASROCK M3A770DE 770 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - Qty: 1
Item: Be Quiet 600W Straight Power E7 PSU - Qty: 1
Item: NZXT Hades Mid Tower Case - NO PSU - Qty: 1
Item: Casecom 140mm Red Blade Case Fan 3 and 4pin Connector - Qty: 1
Item: Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - Qty: 1
Item: Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.65V - Qty: 1
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2010 5:16:31 AM

I'd really up the psu if you can afford to (lots on here will say you cant afford not to)
not sure on coolers that will fit that case,
maybe once the mobo is in place you can post measurements from cpu to sidepanel? use wooden ruler or cloth tape, not metal!
for guides, plenty on here including:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post...
sections three and four are your playgrounds and if you get stuck shout up, dont risk damaging anything you'll regret later for the sake of asking
Moto
December 7, 2010 8:36:48 AM

Up the psu, do u mean to install it upwards. im puting it in right now hope to hear from u soon :) 
If u mean buy a diff one its kinda to late ive allrdy got it and installed it
December 7, 2010 12:13:24 PM

Ive ran in to a problem the sata connector wont go in to the hardrive are sata 1 and sata 2 ports diff im using a sata cable i got with the mb.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2010 2:11:09 PM

I did mean up as in buy a branded one yes, but as you already have it,np
Sata interfaces are standard (apart from E-Sata obv which is powered)
make sure you have the connector the right way around and are trying to insert it in the right place, and if your connector has a metal clip on it, gently press it in to help slide the connector on
Moto
December 7, 2010 8:30:39 PM

Thx for the help all done stupid me was sticking it some where else lol so far ive got it all set up but i got some cable routing to do tmz atm its all hanging out the case. running pretty cool :)  tried metro 2033 on maxsettings 1920x180 and were no lock ups at all *_* awsome
December 8, 2010 4:47:01 AM

Ive run in to a problem im geting loads and loads of refrenced memory erros could be my
ram thats messed up is there any way to test this? :o  ty
a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2010 4:52:14 AM

Theres memtest you can download to check each stick individually, check you have the correct version for your set up though,
I prefer to install one stick at a time and try booting it up though, a bad stick usually wont even boot.
Cable management hehe, don't get me started :p 
Moto
December 8, 2010 9:20:45 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Theres memtest you can download to check each stick individually, check you have the correct version for your set up though,
I prefer to install one stick at a time and try booting it up though, a bad stick usually wont even boot.
Cable management hehe, don't get me started :p 
Moto
. Hiya moto :)  i just tried taking the ram out and puting it in one at a time to see if it boots. It didnt boot on one stick but after i took it out and put it back in it worked. other then that they both work fine i was wondering if it could be the harddrive since i couldnt install windows 7 it said there was a problem with the harddrive or the cd/dvd. i know its not the cd/dvd since i took it out a working comp. :S Thx for all ur help :) 

(forgot to mention it wont let me activate windows even though i have a genuine copy that ive used on many other comps)
a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2010 2:31:40 PM

Make sure both ram sticks and the ram sockets are free from dust/grime/oil and the ram is seated firmly in place, sometimes thats all that is stopping the system working correctly.
As for the windows, I think if your disks fine it maybe time to activate it over the phone, explain your situation to Ms, homebuilder etc and they should be able to sort it, unless the disk itself is the problem, might charge you for a replacement one
Moto
December 8, 2010 7:57:11 PM

Heya moto, weird after instaling some windows updates it activated only bad thing is im running a 32bit winxp my windows 7 wouldnt install -.-
a b B Homebuilt system
December 9, 2010 5:48:58 AM

I dont know what else to advise you mate, its possible your Win7 disc is pants, could you get a 'backup' copy from a local pc shop maybe?
Moto
December 12, 2010 4:59:29 PM

Back again xD. The case i got from ebuyer is damaged -.- the leds on the side fan are missing the
tempreture display att he front dont work lol but i dont know if i want to return it after spending days installing my comp in there. Any way i have a problem with my graphic card now
it loses audio alot and i have to unplug the hdmi and replug it that works most of the time not working atm. Any way think ill return it and get a hd5870 there was a question i had about it though in the nividea controll pannel theres a option to resize ur picture i need this cuz when ever i plug my hdtv in, the picture wont fit in the screen so i have to resize it through the nvidea controll pannel, my question is does ati have something similiar? i dont want to be stuck with a big screen with half of the picture cut out. also managed to get windows 7 in and reinstall xp no errors now. also there is one thing the comp has a weird smell thats normal in new components right? :o  Thanks :D 

(ps the fourth core on my proccesor was unstable oh well xD)
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2010 12:14:04 PM

If its less than pristine when it arrives send it back :) 
your paying good money for an item, you dont settle for 'alright' or 'ok' condition

the new gfx card, did you install the new drivers and sweep the old ones out?

The wierd smell is excess grease from your new psu burning off , its normal and it wears off in a couple of days so dont worry :p 
you will have ati catalyst when you install the 5870, use this to tweak for your tv settings
sorry to hear about the 4th core but meh, cest life no?
a triplecores still good enough for games at the moment and for a while yet
Moto
January 13, 2011 8:13:50 PM

Hey guys im back witha new problem :D .
So i kept the graphic card i thought it was driver related because i didnt install the drivers for the mother board audio first. When i did that it worked. Its been going on and off recently. Any way nvm that.I returned my nzxt hades case because of the faulty temp display so the return has been cleared but the problem now is they havent got it in stock any more. They havent had it in stock since 3 weeks ago and i dont think it will be back any time soon. So i was wondering if u guys could help me out once again :D  By recomending a new case that has similiar cooling performance and is around the same price range im willing to pay up to £70. Thanks guys look forward to your reply and i hope i havent made a mistake not making a new thread :o  Ty

and Thanks for your great help so far moto and other members :) 

Edit ive been looking at the cooler master haf 912 plus on ebuyer would that be a suitable replacement and how does it match up in cooling http://www.ebuyer.com/product/239757
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2011 5:24:15 AM

The 912 is quite a popular case on here and other sites so I wouldn't hesitate to say its as good as, if not better than the Hades
Sorry your builds been so traumatic so far man :( 
Moto
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2011 7:28:16 AM

I just bought a HAF 912+ myself here in the UK and I really love it - it is the first time I have indulged in a quality case. It is nice and wide so a decent CPU cooler can easily be installed, you can take out one of the HDD bay so it can hold the longest GPUs around. It is silent (certainly compared to what I am used to) nice big fan at front and at the back. It is also sturdy, so the side panels go on and off with ease (with some budget cases after removing the panel a few times it never seems to quite fit on again and can then vibrate annoyingly)
Thanks to space between the back panel and the mobo plate you can have most your wires trail behind so there is no messy trail of wires ruining your airflow.

So yeah, it's a good buy
January 14, 2011 7:32:24 AM

Hiya,
Thanks for your quick reply moto :D  and dw about it. it hasnt been that bad. So you think if i go with the haf 912 plus i should get my self a 200mm for the top as that isnt included :)  ?
January 14, 2011 8:23:28 AM

Hi,
Thx for the reply asteldian :D  now im looking at the Xigmatek Utgard acording to bit-tech it has beter cooling and is in the same price range. Making a sacrafice on looks though which idm. Any one have any info on this case? looking it up atm seems good :D 
Hope to get some inputt on this one ty :D 

Also looking at the Antec Nine Hundred Two (sorry about the double post it wouldnt let me edit D: )
January 17, 2011 1:06:10 AM

Hiya guys,
Ive pretty much decided on the 912 plus haff but im geting a 200mm fan with it and all together its £75 But the haf 922 comes with the top 200mm fan and ive seen that for £80. So which one should i get when there about the same price? ill also be geting a cm hyper 212 plus cpu cooler soon after. Thanks :bounce: 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2011 5:15:48 AM

I'd say go for the 922,
you can add fans later if needed, but with the 212 in there I shouldn't think it will be necessary :) 
Moto
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2011 8:17:24 AM

At £5 more get the HAF 922. Also, depending where you buy from, www.scan.co.uk sells it for £75. Obviously there is shipping involved, but I tend to find when I buy everything from scan even if you include the shipping it works out cheaper than ebuyer and other places.
And if you are a Bit-tech forum user if you have 20 posts there then scan shipping becomes free which makes it even more of a bargain
January 17, 2011 1:22:47 PM

Thx for the replys guys ill definetly be going for the 922 then :D . Cheers for all the info :) . Btw i managed to unlock the 4th core stable :D  it just needed a bit extra volatage its hot though running 39c idle .Moto i have a question for you. Ive seen that u have the same mother board as me a m3a770de and ive noticed verclosley below the cpu cooler is a heat sink for one of the bridge chips i think. Does this get in the way for any after market cpu coolers? Ty
January 17, 2011 6:39:08 PM

39c idle isnt bad. when you get the new case it will go lower. when you get the cpu cooler it will go even lower. should be cool enough to overclock if needed.
January 17, 2011 7:09:14 PM

Yah 39c idle isnt bad but i ran prime 95 for a bit like 2-3 mins to see if it gets to hot and it was hiting 60 and going up when i took prime 95 off . Didnt wanna damage my processor it was going up fast though. Cheers for the reply :D 
January 17, 2011 10:21:44 PM

So can any one tell me if this bronze heat sink is gona be a problem for installing a cm hyper 212 plus? Pics of the heat sink im talking about below

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
January 17, 2011 10:31:30 PM

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Im planning on mounting the hyper 212 plus so the fan faces the top of the case. Also after i unlocked the fourth core of my cpu aod benchmarking scored it around the same or a bit lower. Idk why that is but im starting to think aod benchmark is pants since it said my memory was slower after i tightend up the timeings. Thx guys :) 

(Sorry about the bad quality i sharpend it a bit because it was realy blury earlyer.also sorry about double posting wouldnt let me edit to add the second picture)
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2011 5:28:51 AM

Sorry man, I work nights and didn't see the post till this morning,
I have stock cooler (Modified a touch) on my rig so no idea on the 212 clearing the Nb sink mate sorry :( 
but looking at this http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hyper+212&view=deta...
it looks like plenty of room to play with
Moto
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!