Best 27" 2560x1440 monitor

treestompz

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hey all

After seeing replies to a thread I posted, and poking around some more, I now got a question:

What is the BEST 27" 2560x1440 monitor out there? A IPS display? PLS? S-IPS?

I am looking to buy the best :D

Here's the thing, could you show me the BEST monitor (no price restriction) and then the BEST monitor under ~$1000?

How's something like a Catleap Q270, etc....

I'd really appreciate it :)

Hoping to get a new monitor soon for my 690 :)

Personally, for general use, the new Dell U2713HM looks pretty awesome. It's probably what I would get. The Dell U2711 has a slightly larger color gamut, but I don't think the difference is worth the $200 price difference (the 2713 uses a LOT less power too).

As far as other choices go, I personally don't tend to trust the "no-name" brands when it comes to high end monitors, but if you want to take the risk, they are quite a bit cheaper.

For ultra high end, price is no object choices? I'd probably go with the NEC PA271W. It's a bit much for most uses though, and you're paying for the high color gamut and excellent color accuracy when calibrated, which really only matter for things like professional graphics and photography uses.

sk1939

Distinguished

The price difference is actually less than you would expect, the cheapest I can find the U2713HM is $769, while Newegg has the U2711 for $850. The other difference is the panels, the new Dell uses the new AH-IPS panel which is actually 2ms slower than the U2711. You also are missing the component and composite video inputs if that matters, but gain a USB3.0 hub on the monitor itself (as well as a better anti-glare coating imo).

If money was no object I agree on the NEC PA271W, or even the HP DreamColor (30 bit color!).

treestompz

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I am seriously considering a perfect pixel Catleap Q270. I don't care about speakers, wobbly stand, or only DVI input...all I care about is the display.

If its using the same panel as an Apple Thunderbolt display, that means its one of the best displays out there correct? Q.q

treestompz

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Your saying the Q270 has one of the best displays available, yes?

The thing is, pretty much all of the 27 inch 2560x1440 displays use exactly the same panel, but they don't all have the same image quality as a result. Image quality is also a result of backlighting and (depending on the input you use) image processing, so even with the same panel, it is unlikely that you will get the same image quality from that as you would with, a Dell, Apple, or NEC display.

That having been said, you're unlikely to do better for the price. Personally, I find that the higher build quality and better backlight make something like a Dell worth it (and if you aren't in a hurry, the Dells go on sale quite frequently), but if all you care about is the price, you could go with that monitor, sure.

treestompz

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I originally was thinking 2711, but then I realized it doesn't have a LED backlit display. So I guess the choice would be 2713hm, but the 8ms response time kinda kills that for my gaming...

treestompz

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Are you saying LED backlighting takes away from color accuracy?

-------------

Also: I went to the local MicroCenter today to look at WQHD displays. I am quite glad I did.

I ignored all the glossy displays, although they look good I find the reflection and such to be too annoying.

I looked at 2 Matte 27" WQHD displays:

Dell UltraSharp u2711
Well, I looked at it. The build quality was nice. But I gotta say, it just didn't look crisp like the SAMSUNG S27A850D did. Not sure if that's because it wasn't setup properly or what.

SAMSUNG S27A850D
Wow! Looked really nice. After seeing PLS in person I'd say it looks damn good! Tried a bunch of Windows 7 backgrounds and the colors looked great.

After seeing those in person, I think I might go with the Asus PB278q coming out in 2 days. I'll wait for the reviews to roll in, and if all is good, I might just buy it. I have seen Linus (from LinusTechTips/NCIXTechTips) say it looks awesome. I know he might just be saying that too.

Any thoughts on all that guys? Thanks to everyone for helping me out!

sk1939

Distinguished

It does to a certain extent, but it's mostly effect rather than cause (most of the monitors that have LED backlighting are e-IPS and are 6-Bit panels). As far as PLS goes, it was developed by Samsung to compete with LG's IPS technology and does relatively well at it, but PLS still has poorer viewing angles.

The U2711 must have not been set up properly. Remember that when you go view monitors, reset them to factory default so you can see what you get out of the box, rather than seeing after people have toyed with them for who knows how long. Important to note though, if you plan to game with either the U2711 or the Samsung you will experience a high level of input lag (30ms or so) which means 2-4 frames lost a second. You also need to calibrate the Samsung, as from what I hear the default picture is rather poor, and the backlight is too high (100).

A great review of the Samsung can be found here and one for the Dell here.

I never follow what Linus says for the most part, remember he is there to sell products for NCIX, sort of like Newegg's videos.

The LED backlighting means it will run cooler, it will be thinner and lighter, and it will use less power, but it's actually worse from a display quality standpoint. All of the best displays still run CCFL backlighting, as it allows for the best overall image quality.

treestompz

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

It wasn't that the colors of the u2711 looked off, it was the general crispness of the images. I did even toy with the settings and it never looked as crisp as the Samsung did. I don't think there is a setting to tone down pixel quality haha...

So, I am excited to see what is said about the PB278q, and I think I might be going with a PLS display, from what I saw, it was pretty damn awesome. Hope I am not wrong.

"Important to note though, if you plan to game with either the U2711 or the Samsung you will experience a high level of input lag (30ms or so) which means 2-4 frames lost a second."

I am really confused...30 ms response time? I though it was 5ms? o_O

sk1939

Distinguished

In a monitor there are two types of response time; Gray to Gray response (GtG or G2G which is what is usually listed) which is the time it takes to go from light to dark, and input response time (called input lag), which is the time it takes for the picture received from the connection to appear on the monitor. This is unique to LCD monitors and an example can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2OE6hSh00

Koo

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
How about visiting here: http://2560x1440monitor.com/
They can accept paypal and even cheaper than ebay or amazon.
My friend bought from them and he found they are reliable korean ebay seller.

pikunsia

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
I'm in the future i.e. 6/2014, and now we can buy a 2560x1440 res., overclockable @ 120Hz for only $320. It is PLS Samsung technology, 6ms response time and PLS is superior than IPS specially for gaming. Not noticeable bleeding, with about 90% probability zero dead/stuck pixels. And yes, time changes technology!

Chewy44

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

What monitor are you referring to?

pdiddy

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014

uh, he said he's in the future...

pikunsia

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Well I'm in the future as those threads were on 2012 and we're on 2H 2014! My monitor is the Perfect pixel QNIX 2710 27" 2560x1440 pixels overclocked @ 120 Hz. This monitor is simply fantastic!

marooner

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Well, if you're looking for the best of the best, I'd recommend one of these two models:
NEC MultiSync PA272W-BK-SV
EIZO ColorEdge CG277-BK
You may not have heard of NEC or EIZO before, but they make premium monitors for a premium cost and are the creme de la creme in their expertise. They are used almost exclusively in the truly professional fields. Each of these costs more than $1000, and the EIZO costs more than $2000. If you're looking for the best color reproduction and screen quality available, that is your answer.

sasuki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Dell, HP, ViewSonic are crap quality stay away!

If you want the best quality picture than get the EIZO ColorEdge CG277-BK or the NEC MultiSync PA272W-BK-SV
If you want great quality with great price NEC EA244WMi BenQ GW2765HT