Parts Not Required: monitor

Preferred Website(s) Scan.co.uk/Overclockers.co.uk

Country of Origin: England

Parts Preferences: I7 950 Or Phenom x6 1090t

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: SLI

Monitor Resolution: 1080p

Additional Comments: Would like to spend extra money on making pc quiet

Would appreciate any suggested builds around the two CPUs suggested.
October 16, 2010 2:01:23 PM

I too am looking for a build for similar purposes and budget.

on scan.co.uk today's offers there's a combo for £500..

Intel Core i7 950 Bloomfield 45nm, 3.06 GHz, QPI 4.8GT/s, 8MB Cache, 23x Ratio, 130W, Retail
120mm Akasa Apache Black Ultra Silent Fan HDB bearing PWM fan *OEM Fan Only
6GB (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3, DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.65V
Asus P6X58D-E, Intel X58, S1366, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 2000 (OC), SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B,Super 6 Heatpipe Tower Cooler for *NEW* Socket 775/1156/1366 (Fanless)

chuck in an XFX black edition 750W modular PSU - £90
1tb samsung F3 - £40
a GTX 460 for £165
whatever case you like

looking at £800 without a case.

Related resources
October 16, 2010 2:25:09 PM

Thanks i will have a look right now.
October 16, 2010 2:27:26 PM

Thanks batuchka, do you think 1055t is a good processor. I heard it is quite power hungry.
a b 4 Gaming
October 16, 2010 2:32:08 PM

Actually Icrontic got excellent results X6 + MPE in CS5 Premiere and u dun have to deal with mobos that cost an arm and a leg hehe
A case for GPU computing: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and the Mercury Playback Engine
http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/reviews/a-case-for-gp...
Quote:
This project consists of compressed 640×480 video footage. These small video files were being eaten alive by the massive 1090T hexa-core processor and 8GB of RAM. Premiere Pro CS5′s increased performance with multi-core systems coupled with bleeding fast hardware will make fast work of any simple projects such as this, not giving the GPU enough work to really make a difference. These results do suggest that if you’re editing small-time video footage, you will not benefit much from using Mercury Playback.

For tasks such as these yes and i wouldn't say for the CPU intensity it offers that it's power hungry lol Those would be stuff like Pentium Ds and 125W 6400+ Windsors @@ You are welcomed
October 16, 2010 2:53:14 PM

Ok cool. I Just want everything lol. A quiet pc good at gaming and editing and not too expensive. And whats the deal with running 460s sli on a amd platform. is there any way of doing it practically. i found one am3 boards that supports it but is usb2.
a b 4 Gaming
October 16, 2010 2:57:06 PM

Yep those would be the 750a/980a chipsets
October 16, 2010 3:55:04 PM

Ok so if i want sli then the intel route is the way.
a b 4 Gaming
October 16, 2010 7:21:36 PM

If you are not buying til november you may be persuaded by whatever 6000 series cards AMD have released by then. In which case you wouldn't be trying to get SLI on an AMD build.

Checking out the products on QuietPC.com might also help you pick out quiet components, even if you don't buy them from there.
October 16, 2010 7:25:59 PM

Ok that sounds like a good idea. The only reason i was looking at 460s was so i could play some games and watch movies in 3d. Rather than having to build a whole new system next year if i decide 3d is something i wanted to do. Are there any other things i should be thinking about regarding 3d, would appreciate any guidance.
a b 4 Gaming
October 16, 2010 8:01:24 PM

I thought that AMD were planning on introducing support for 3D with the new 6000 series. http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/41433-am...
I think you also need to have an 120Hz monitor to be able to have Nvidia 3D, don't know if this will be the same for AMD, but we will find out, soon hopefully.

When deciding on graphics card, if you want it to be quiet, I would definitely do research on the fan it comes with. The quietest GTX 460 around is the Zotac AMP Edition, which is quite a bit more expensive, pretty much the same price as one of the cheaper, yet still very quiet 5850s. GTX 460s tend to be quiet anyway, but you should still take care if you decide to go for one of the cheaper ones.

An answer to a question you posed in one of your other threads:

The Nexus PSUs are in a league of their own for fan-cooled PSUs. The Seasonic X Series is either fanless or semi fanless, so they have the potential to be very quiet as well. Most of the Corsair AX series is based on the same design as the Seasonic X semi fanless series. However anything high quality from Antec, Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, etc and adequate wattage will be quiet if they are in a 'separate thermal zone' to other heat producing components such as CPU and GPU.

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B and Noctua's are very good. Have a look at this list as well: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks Choosing a good fan to go with the Prolimatech Megahalems, or other heatsink without fan, is always a good way to help the quiet cause.
October 16, 2010 9:34:57 PM

Thank you, most helpful., i will look at those products. I dont mind paying more to keep noise levels down. I was thinking of gigabyte 460 as a review on tomshardware said they "refused to make any noise". But i will look at zotac.
!