‚New gaming PC build, advice apreciated

d_nn_s

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Hey everyone, I am going to assemble a new system, but haven't kept track of the development of new technologies for a few years now.
I found some sort of template in another topic that I will use to make things easier, so here we go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I'm not really in a hurry, just taking my time to get some good information.

BUDGET RANGE: €1.000 (or about £822) after rebates.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, watching movies (currently my PC is connected with my Samsung HD TV), downloading, 3D modeling/rendering (will buy a separate system for 3D in the future, so it's not that important).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor and operating system aren't needed.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: All parts will eventually be purchased at www.azerty.nl, since I won't have to pay VAT. If you can work the site (it's in Dutch), please do so.
Otherwise just check known English sites and I'll compare prices with the Dutch site myself.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Netherlands.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm not really favored to either Intel or AMD (I've had both in the past and haven't had problems with either).

OVERCLOCKING: No, I'm not experienced with it and probably never will try.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, depends on the recommendations.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I prefer a quiet system. I've already seen some good parts, like Antec casing and Samsung HD's that are relatively quiet.
The system I'm going to build has to last for a few years at least, so keep that in mind.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for now, I'm sure I've forgotten other relevant things, so just ask me anything!
Thanks in advance,

~ Dennis.

^^ PM the mods, they will be help you out with the title...

As for the build, you can go with the Intel i5 760 build or the AMD AM3 955/ 965 build...

In terms of current performance, the i5 is the better choice, but the advantage that the AM3 has over the LGA 1156 is that the next-gen AMD CPUs might work even on the AM3 socket boards, but the LGA 1156 will be replaced with a newer socket next year...
So its upto you to decide...
But again if generally upgrade the PC as a whole and not by parts, then the i5 would be fine as it is the powerful platform compared to the AM3...Also there are i7s for the LGA 1156, to which you can upgrade to if you want...

Here are the 2 builds -
Intel -
CPU - i5 760

Mobo - ASUS P7P55D-E Pro

Graphics card - GTX 460 1GB
The GTX 460 SLI scales very well and offers very good performance...

AMD -
CPU - X4 955/ 965

Mobo - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO / Asrock 870 Extreme3(If you are fine with ASRock)

Graphics card - HD 5850

Rest are common -
RAM - Any good 4GB kit from Corsair/ Crucial/ GSKillz/ Patriot/ Team

CASE - More of a personal choice, but some good options -
Antec 300/ 900/ 902
Cooler Master HAF 922/ CM 690
Lian-Li K62

PSU - 650- 700W from Antec EA or TP series/ Corsair/ XFX/ Silverstone/ Seasonic/ CM Silent PRO

d_nn_s

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Thanks gkay,

I've been checking out the high-end gaming PC threads and am checking to see what it would end up costing when I buy all components at my store.
I'll let you know what I come up with and post any questions I may have.

Actually, I have one already.
I'm a fan of Corsair memory and came across these two: Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) 2000MHz and Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz.
The first is CL9 and is 2000MHz and the other has CL8 and 1600Mhz. On what do you base a decision between these two, because I really don't have a clue.
They cost about the same (only 10 euros apart).

^ The Dominators generally have more overclocking headroom, but even the 2000MHz XMS3 is good enough for overclocking, or maybe even better because if you reduce the speed to say 1600MHz, then you might be able to set the timings to 7, but if am not wrong, you should be able to tighten the timings on those Dominators too...

But if you will not be overclocking high, say aiming for ~3.6-3.8GHz, then you wont need any of those...the standard XMS3 1600MHz CAS 7/ 8 would do...

Just a heads up, even the LGA 1366 is being replaced by the LGA 1365 next year...

d_nn_s

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
I'm planning on using this system for the next few years anyway.
When I buy a new system, I usually sell my 'old' one (even though it still runs fine and can keep up with most games).
There's always someone who wants to spend money on a system and thinks he's found a bargain ;)

d_nn_s

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Well the thing is, I get a 19% 'discount' (don't have to pay VAT) and the money I receive from selling my current system will be used to fund this new one.
So basically I'll have around 300-350 euro more to spend.

Btw, in the "BestConfigs" topic I saw people posting a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 with the aforementioned Corsair Dominator memory (1600MHz).
When I checked the motherboard specifics, I couldn't see if PC3-12800 was supported. Is it? It supports other (lower and higher) types, so I don't really get it.