Sign in with
Your question

£500-600 Gaming PC, first time build

Last response: in Systems
July 28, 2010 12:32:19 AM

Hi All,

This is my first time attempting to build a PC.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within the next month

BUDGET RANGE: £500-600, can stretch if needed

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Starcraft 2, watching movies, internet, TV

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Am open to suggestions

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: London, UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: I have done a bit of research and these seem to be of most interest to me.

> CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
> GPU: Radeon HD 5770 (also considering the 5830 and 5850 but heard it was unnecessary due to the monitor resolution)
> Memory: DDR3 (as this is the newest)
> HDD: 1TB
> Case: Mid/full tower

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050, although I may upgrade the monitor in the future

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My main stumbling block was the motherboard and what chipset to use. Also, I would want a mobo that can support a TV tuner port to stream live TV and preferably one with at least 4 USB ports.

I'm looking for something that can last, but nothing too excessive. And any advice on where to buy parts from the UK will be most helpful.

Also, any feedback on the parts I've chosen will be much appreciated. Thank you very much for all your help and I do apologise for not putting in any links as I'm still unsure of the difference between brands and best places to buy parts.

Best wishes,
Al
July 28, 2010 10:59:30 AM

Off Ebuyer UK
July 28, 2010 2:58:31 PM

Excellent build ! ^+1
I'd suggest the NZXT m59 tho, it is all painted black and has a big window to see you components. It's a nice case and not much more expensive
Related resources
Anonymous
July 28, 2010 2:58:46 PM

The suggestion above is great, but the video card is a bit of an over kill. You don't need a black edition cpu if you are not overclocking. Take those two out and you will cut the cost a bit.
July 28, 2010 5:33:30 PM

May be for the Black Edition but the graphic card is a very good card.
July 28, 2010 9:06:04 PM

If the OS is to be included in the budget, then yes, you'd have to drop down to the Athlon II X3 440, possibly have to cut back on one or two other components as well.

As for sites to buy from check out (in no particular order): AriaPC, Overclockers.co.uk, Scan, Novatech & saverstore.
July 29, 2010 9:30:28 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much for all your input, and for the complete recommendation, batuchka.

I wont be OC-ing, so I'll probably not get the black edition.

I have a few other questions as well, and I'll list them by components.
> GPU: Which ATI card is the GTX 460 comparable with? Is it really overkill for my 1680x1050 resolution or is worth the extra money?
> Memory: I've seen those 7-7-7-24 numbers somewhere and from what I understand, the lower, the better. What is it for, and is it worth saving money by getting something 'worse'?
> Mobo: I think I need one with a TV antenna/cable jack and HDMI port to stream live TV, as evidenced by a friend's laptop, and I couldnt find those ports on the Asus EVO 870. Is it different for desktops?

Also, I have yet to include the OS, but am hoping that by reducing the CPU to a normal one from a black edition, and doing some careful shopping while stretching the budget a little, I can hopefully squeeze it in.

Thank you once again for all your comments and for teaching me some valuable information. Looking forward to your replies.
July 30, 2010 9:27:19 AM

The HD 5830 1GB trades blows with 768mb GTX 460 but with current retail price go with the latter as it is the superior buy unless ATI slashes prices i.e price war!!
!