What is difference of ips led and lcd monitor screens

Hello,
What is the difference in ips, led & lcd monitors. does the screen give a little on the ips as it does on he led? Please help
denton9
5 answers Last reply
More about difference ips led lcd monitor screens
  1. This topic has been moved from the section Forum Feedback to section Computer Peripherals by Pyree
  2. denton9th said:
    Hello,
    What is the difference in ips, led & lcd monitors. does the screen give a little on the ips as it does on he led? Please help
    denton9

The types of monitor panels are IPS, VA, and TN. The types of backlights are LED and CCFL.

Essentially, IPS panels give the best picture overall, VA panels are better at shades of black, and TN panels have a higher response time (and potentially higher refresh rate). As for backlights, LED is more energy efficient and I think it's cheaper now as well. Older (and cheaper) LED backlights can tint the screen blue or green. CCFL backlights are an older technology, they're sometimes more even than LED and can support a wider range of brightness, but they eat a lot more power.

Generally, the monitors available today fall into one of these categories:
    LED backlit, TN panel - These are the cheapest, usually. Not a great picture, but they're much better than they used to be.
    CCFL backlight, VA panel - Essentially the middle-ground as far as cost and picture quality goes.
    CCFL backlight, IPS panel - More expensive, but also provide a better picture.
    LED backlight, IPS panel - There aren't very many of these, but they provide a better picture than TN with a more energy efficient backlight.
  3. AnUnusedUsername said:
    TN panels have a higher response time

AnUnusedUsername, I think you're getting a little confused here - lower response times are faster and better, and that's what TN panels have.

Other than that, I'd say that's a good summary. denton9th, if you want more details, I direct you to these articles for further reading:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/led_backlighting.htm
  4. Alright, so I will be doing a lot of FPS gaming... So I guess speed is important. But I also LOVE bright, colorful, and pretty monitors.

I guess I can go up to $250. Is there any you'd recommend or $250 that is right for me?
  5. vertigofm said:
    Alright, so I will be doing a lot of FPS gaming... So I guess speed is important. But I also LOVE bright, colorful, and pretty monitors.

I guess I can go up to $250. Is there any you'd recommend or $250 that is right for me?

vertigofm said:
    Alright, so I will be doing a lot of FPS gaming... So I guess speed is important. But I also LOVE bright, colorful, and pretty monitors.

I just bought ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms from new egg. Seeing as how I just bought it I cannot speak to how it actually is but it has good reviews and I think it is a pretty good deal at $219. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&ignorebbr=1
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Panel Monitors LCD Monitor Monitors LED Monitor Peripherals