Sign in with
Your question

50 °C spike temps / 124 °C TMPIN0

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2010 5:45:04 PM

Built my first PC last Fall, been running great. However, I have noticed something that has me very worried. I recently installed HW monitor for system temp monitoring purposes. My max load temp for TMPIN0 and TMPIN1 reached 88° C for just a second; they usually idle around 29 °C .

Obviously worried, I reset the minimum and maximum data for MWmonitor and watched. Sure enough, after about an hour the temps spiked again, but just for a split second. TMPIN0 reported 124 °C max.

I found a post that states that TMPIN0 and TMPIN1 readouts for my mobo are my cpu (as a whole) and southbound mobo temps.

I have no idea what is going on. I would think my mobo is going out, but my cpu wouldnt jump as well. Perhaps my PSU is shorting out or something?

Processor: TripleCore AMD Phenom II X3 Black Edition 720

CPU Cooler: 92mm Xigmatek

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M700
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : spike temps 124 tmpin0

a b B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2010 5:57:58 PM

Your temps cannot change that rapidly, consider how slowly a CPU temp goes up when it changes from using 30W to using 130W, what you saw was caused by a software glitch.

For this to have physically happened your chip would need to be pumping out a couple hundred watts of heat for a split second to make the temp spike 50C, and then your ambient temp would have needed to drop down to 0C or similar to make it quickly dissipate, the heatsink would take a while to cool down because it dissipates energy as a decaying exponential function, so you cant get a quick spike in temperature going either way without a massive quantity of energy being involved.
July 9, 2010 6:07:27 PM

i imagine it is a software glitch
July 9, 2010 6:33:00 PM

thing is, I have been monitoring my temps for about a week now. This has never happened before, and this just started happening today, 3 times now.

Are there any other temp monitoring programs that record and display max and lowest temps?
!