Sign in with
Your question

New Build can´t connect to network!

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2010 2:42:12 PM

Hello guys, I have a serious problem here...I can´t connect to the internet, or rather not even to the router!

I have a desktop that dosen´t have any built in wireless so I bought the Sweex 300N adapter. The ppl at the store said it would be easy to install.....
Here is what happened:

I put in the driver cd(yes my computer has windows 7 and this adapter supprots windows 7) and ran the install. It copies some files and then it asks for me to put my device an a free USB port. So I do it. It detectes that it is plugged in and proceeds the install, but.... The next step it says: Installing device driver, it stays there forever! I have waited 15 minutes and nothing! Then I tested it on my laptop, worked like a charm(runs windows 7). Well here is what I have already tested:

*reinstall(like 8 times already)
*shutdown the UAC
*restart windows(lol)
*plug the device in 20 times over and over again

Now here is the fishy about everything, I have tested already 3 ADAPTERS and none of them worked!
Here are the ones I tested: Netgear WG111v2, D-link(dont remember), and this one. On the Netgear one I successfully install drivers and able to run the utility. Though it dosent seem to detect the device(I have alredy plugged it in hundres of times). The D-link has about the same problem as this one, it hooks up during the installation. Something wrong with my rig?:

*ASUS Maximus III Formula
*Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
*Intel core i7 860 2.8Ghz
*XFX HD 5870
*Westen Digital Green Power 1TB
*Windows 7

Note some more things:
*I have installed lots of other drivers for graphics card, sound card etc... all worked perfectly
*When I try to get in Safe mode my pc reboots

Do you guys have any ideas what this might be? I would REALLY appreciate some help, any help.
Tnx.

More about : build connect network

January 24, 2010 4:29:08 PM

Hello erikjansson,

I've had exactly the same problem!
I tried:

Netgear WG111v2 - installed ok but could not find any network.
Belkin (can't remember which one) - didn't want to know.
Linksys WUSB600N - now this is the strange one, at first installed it in compatibility mode and it worked.
When the PC went to sleep or was shut down on resume or start up could not find the device.
Uninstalled and reinstalled same thing. The solution was to connect to the router via cable,
search for and install drivers then uninstall the drivers and install a Ralink windows 7 driver,
re boot the computer and it worked!!! But it only works if I turn the computer on, let windows
load and then plug the USB device in.

Can't say if this method works with a Sweex 300N but I read somewhere that the Ralink driver is sort of a generic
driver as most of the USB adapters use Ralink components.

I also tried a Linksys PCI adapter to no effect.

A word of caution, I did originally try loading a Ralink driver from the installed windows driver base - but like you
experienced it seemed to hang forever and I had to force quit which caused me a real problem and had to eventually
reload windows.

I do not know if any of this will help you and I am also not certain of the exact sequence I used so please if you
do try this you might want to create a backup and restore point.

Regards keith263

June 26, 2010 6:56:00 PM

keith263 said:
Hello erikjansson,

I've had exactly the same problem!
I tried:

Netgear WG111v2 - installed ok but could not find any network.
Belkin (can't remember which one) - didn't want to know.
Linksys WUSB600N - now this is the strange one, at first installed it in compatibility mode and it worked.
When the PC went to sleep or was shut down on resume or start up could not find the device.
Uninstalled and reinstalled same thing. The solution was to connect to the router via cable,
search for and install drivers then uninstall the drivers and install a Ralink windows 7 driver,
re boot the computer and it worked!!! But it only works if I turn the computer on, let windows
load and then plug the USB device in.

Can't say if this method works with a Sweex 300N but I read somewhere that the Ralink driver is sort of a generic
driver as most of the USB adapters use Ralink components.

I also tried a Linksys PCI adapter to no effect.

A word of caution, I did originally try loading a Ralink driver from the installed windows driver base - but like you
experienced it seemed to hang forever and I had to force quit which caused me a real problem and had to eventually
reload windows.

I do not know if any of this will help you and I am also not certain of the exact sequence I used so please if you
do try this you might want to create a backup and restore point.

Regards keith263

Thanks for the post!

I fixed mine by updating my BIOS to the latest version. Damn ASUS likes to give us *** that dosent work, they want us to update the thing by ourselves =p.
!