Sign in with
Your question

Help building gaming computer around £1500 budget

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2010 12:04:22 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within 2-3 months

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming and 3D modelling and Rendering

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Speakers, Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, CD/DVD drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.yoyotech.co.uk London based company

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD, ATI, Corsair, Coolmaster, Gigabyte/Asus

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Max

Hello,

I need help with buyign a pc for gaming, I had a HP laptop that I used for some minor games like css but I became a victim of inherently defective motherboard-gpu and I am fighting for a refund-replacemnt. My budget is £1300-£1500 and I dont want to buy it from companies like dell or hp, prefer it to be build base. I been a customer to company called yoyotech and they seem to have a decent prices and I had a chance to build a pc on their website to see the price range.

Case: Coolmaster HAF 922
PSU: CORSAIR TX 750W POWERSUPPLY <-- Will it be enough?
Motherboard: Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 Six-Core CPU CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H-50 CPU COOLER
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT 4GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3 PC3 12800 1600MHz
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 5870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.1 x 16 Graphics Card

-The motherboard has 2 PCI slots in case if I want to upgrade to a second GPU in the future.

-At first I wanted to go with CORAIR DOMINATOR 2GB KIT - 2133MHz DDR3 but I had some people suggest to go with lower clock ones.

I also intend to use the computer for 3D modeling and rendering

The above components come to about £1300 but I also want the shop to assemble the components + operating system so that coems to £1500
Some might suggest to get slower RAM but with more memory like set of 8gb... With the graphic card you might also suggest stronger one or get two weaker ones... I intend to upgrade the components in time like buy additional RAM as well as maybe get a second graphic card but that would happen after some time.

I open to suggestion and comments.

Thank you,

Milo
a b 4 Gaming
June 7, 2010 2:02:30 AM

Corsair 750W is plenty. It's sized for 2x 5870s and extra HDDs/SSDs, etc.

Does your 3D modeling and rendering software make use of CUDA cores? If so you may want to think about Nvidia video cards. GTX 470 / GTX 480.

Stepping down from 2133MHz DDR3 to 1600MHz DDR3 was a good decision.

HD: Samsun Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12 are giving a bit better performance WD WD Black @ 1TB.
June 7, 2010 7:40:47 AM

Hello,

However I started getting some thoughs about the GPU...
I think the graphic card that I wanted to get was an Eyefinity 6 2GB ... I dont think I be investing in 6 screen so I probably go for Sapphire Vapor X Radeon HD 5870 2GB.
However I been going through some reviews and it seem slike the 2GB hasnt got that much of a difference over 1GB... so I alternatively I could go for HIS Radeon HD 5870 Turbo 1GB GDDR5 or even the GTX 480.

What you guys think?

Thanks,

Milo
Related resources
June 7, 2010 8:53:06 AM

Don't go with the 2gb 5870. Really not worth the money. 1gb 580 is more than good enough, or the 480GTX if you use CUDA.

Personally I would bite the bullet and build your own computer - Yoyotech is expensive - not as bad as most places but still considerably overpriced compared to building it yourself.

For your budget, building it yourself you could probably get an i7-930 with Triple Channel 6gb RAM and still end up with money saved.

If you are uncomfortable builing it as it is your first time, then I suggest going with www.scan.co.uk they offer builders insurance for £30 which means if you damage a part while building the computer they will replace it (personally I haven't bought the insurance myself as it is unlikely you will break anything, but it is a great idea for first time builders to give them peace of mind and give the confidence to try building)
a b 4 Gaming
June 7, 2010 9:48:28 AM

1. Like the 930 vs 950 i7 debate: 1055T + OC rather than 1090T :p 
2. Giga 890GX overpriced for what u looking for - Asrock 880G Extreme3 tri CF (8/8 dual)

3. Suggested h/w off Ebuyer UK @ 992 GBP including OS + ship:

June 7, 2010 10:16:42 AM

asteldian said:
Don't go with the 2gb 5870. Really not worth the money. 1gb 580 is more than good enough, or the 480GTX if you use CUDA.

Personally I would bite the bullet and build your own computer - Yoyotech is expensive - not as bad as most places but still considerably overpriced compared to building it yourself.

For your budget, building it yourself you could probably get an i7-930 with Triple Channel 6gb RAM and still end up with money saved.

If you are uncomfortable builing it as it is your first time, then I suggest going with www.scan.co.uk they offer builders insurance for £30 which means if you damage a part while building the computer they will replace it (personally I haven't bought the insurance myself as it is unlikely you will break anything, but it is a great idea for first time builders to give them peace of mind and give the confidence to try building)

The only thing I am unconfortable with building is applying thermo compound and fixing the cooler on top of the cpu.. .I dont want to it it wrong and burn it after a while or soemthing...
June 7, 2010 10:24:02 AM

Unless seriously Ocing you don't need the thermal compound as coolers have it applied on their base. Course if you want to dollop some compound on yourself you can, can't really go wrong with it.

I personally hate installing the stock CPU coolers (I don't like the push down method of installing). For £15 you can get the Freezer Pro, it is quiet and very easy to install - it has a screw base which goes underneath the mobo so you just screw the cooler on - very esy, no pressure needed to be applied to the mobo, you really can't go wrong If that is your biggest issue then definately build your own to save money and get a better spec

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-7...!
June 7, 2010 11:17:18 AM

asteldian said:

Correct me if I am wrong but for Triple channel RAM I need a motherboard that is triple channel compatible right?
a b 4 Gaming
June 7, 2010 11:37:03 AM

Yes, you would need to get an X58 chipset, 1366 socket motherboard.
June 7, 2010 12:32:54 PM

I suppose getting intel 930 or 960 with triple channel 6GB RAM would be better and faster than the AMD that I had picked first.
June 7, 2010 1:10:42 PM

Not so much for gaming where an i5 750 is all you need, but for the funky stuff you do I believe the i7 is better than the AMD
June 7, 2010 1:30:08 PM

the 1090t is hexacore so its faster in applications with more than 4 cores. BUUTT

Intels OC much better.

In this budget range I think intel is a no-brainer
June 14, 2010 4:59:40 PM

Hello,

I been lookign at the reviews from above and I have to say that the AMD six core is most of the time under the very expensive i7 975 and 980... it also costs so much less and performs quite well.
June 16, 2010 12:52:38 AM

Hello,

I did some more research, changed a few parts around and made some decisions...

Something is telling me to go for AMD, feel like I know little more about it but from what I heard here and from what I seen on the reviews the Intel is better in performance.

I might have my budget increased within few weeks so I though of goign for either i7-920/960 or even possibly go for the 980extreme if my budget is confirmed...

Let me know what you think of the setup below.

June 16, 2010 4:56:16 AM

that cpu is a waste a 930 will perform similarly if you OC

The corsair h50 isn't bad but it will be outperformed by similar air coolers like the titan fenrir or nh d14
That good of ram really isn't neccesary real wordl differences will be very minimal

That evga mobo really sucks. It has some nice features but it's performance and cooling is appalling.

You may want 850w for sli.

And you may want to go modular to reduce cable clutter.
June 17, 2010 2:13:13 AM

To be honest I had this feeling from beginning I be going with AMD and I think I probably go with it now.
I go with my original AMD CPU the 1090T BE.

I still have some issues with the memory and motherboard.

My idea for the rig now is:

Case: Coolmaster HAF 932
PSU: CORSAIR TX 750W POWERSUPPLY
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 Six-Core
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H-50 CPU COOLER
HD: 1TB Samsun Spinpoint
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

The ASUS motherboard I know it costs a little but I think it could be a long term investment. It has the new 890FX chipset, supports crossfire. And correct me if I am wrong but seems like from this post http://www.anandtech.com/show/2871/2 AMd will be releasing a new CPU that I could replace after soem time on to the crosshair IV. It can be replaced with cheaper one but if you think this one will work well then I am happy to stick with it for its price.

June 17, 2010 5:21:57 AM

It's a very solid build though I don't see ram. And a hexa core isn't optimal for gaming.
June 17, 2010 12:47:29 PM

I want to use this rig for my school work as well and I think some of the features of the hexacore will come useful.
I never had a powerfull gaming machine, so personally I can not say whether this will be enough or not... I have always run games like fallout or borderlands on minimal settinsg to avoid Lag on my laptop.
Apart from CPU the GPU is important to gamign and I think the one I choose should make the games run smooth. I expect game slike Bad company 2, crysis, shattered horizon to run smooth on maxed out graphics.

I mean surely this rig should handle games well, I know it might not get this extra 10-20% of the FPS that i5-750 or 920 will have but still playable and once overclocked it could get more fps.

With the RAM I was thinking of goign with set of 4GB either corsair or G skill low timing ready to be overclocked with CPU.
June 17, 2010 12:58:42 PM

The difference between that hexa core and the i5 lies somewhere far under 10 percent. You won't really notice a difference in gaming yet(if you upgrade your GPU's later on the difference will be large) but the i5 is simply a far faster and better cpu exept for having less cores. But the apps you will be using won't really utilise this. So the iu5 should be quite a lot faster.
June 21, 2010 10:55:44 PM

Hello,

I just wanted to ask a few more questions... I got a fairly good idea on the iteams I be getting however what would be your suggestion on the cooler... I am not going with corsair h-50 anymroe decided to buy cooler master product either V8 or even V10. Is lean more towards V8 since it doesnt cost as much as V10 and its smaller but is it a still a powerful cooler?

Another thing I wonna ask about is the RAM... In this case I wonna go with corsair however if I am going to be overclocking the CPU should I go with the higher clock RAM like the 1600MHz or even more? How about the timing should I go with tighter timing or higher?

Finally if you can take a look at the setup below and let me know if everything will work fine together etc (my first time I am building down wonna find out one part is not compatibale with another or soemthing)

Setup:

Case: Coolermaster Haf 932/X
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz
GPU: XFX Radeon 5870 1GB
PSU: Corsair 750W TX
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-Crosshair-IV-Formul...
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster v8/v10
HD: 1TB Samsun Spinpoint
RAM: Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Dominator Memory (8-8-8--24) or Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dominator GT DHX Memory Kit (7-7-7-20)

I will probably purchas ethe parts after 8th of July since thats when the HAF X that I reallyw nat will be avaible in UK stores (unless you know of any other source I could buy it from now)

Thansk again,

Milo
!