Is this a good gaming monitor?

dercdell1

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Solution
So its tough to say this monitor is better than that monitor because of this reason and that reason. Yes contrast ratio is important but this 1,000,000:1 is a dynamic rating, some mfg's will use a static contrast ratio rating so its hard to compare by looking at the specs. I would obviously recommend getting 1920x1080 resolution and nothing smaller than that. Most monitors are going to have excellent response times which will be one of the most important pieces as early LCD's "ghosted" when high FPS, fast moving games were played as it could not keep up.

Unfortunately not all monitors advertise their brightness which is measured in nits, this display you chose is 250 cd/m2. You can find more spendy displays at 300 to 400...

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
So its tough to say this monitor is better than that monitor because of this reason and that reason. Yes contrast ratio is important but this 1,000,000:1 is a dynamic rating, some mfg's will use a static contrast ratio rating so its hard to compare by looking at the specs. I would obviously recommend getting 1920x1080 resolution and nothing smaller than that. Most monitors are going to have excellent response times which will be one of the most important pieces as early LCD's "ghosted" when high FPS, fast moving games were played as it could not keep up.

Unfortunately not all monitors advertise their brightness which is measured in nits, this display you chose is 250 cd/m2. You can find more spendy displays at 300 to 400 which does make a difference if you look at them side by side.

LED Backlit displays are generally thinner (basically who cares to an extent) but they typically brighter as well.

So do you want 3d capabilities? maybe you dont today but for a little more you could have that choice at least. This monitor is a little brighter at 300 and has a 120hz refresh but is it worth $130 more? not necessarily to everyone.

Connections will be another big thing to look for, Does it have multiple inputs or most importantly, the input that you have/want?

Yes i think this display would be just fine for gaming, I also liked this monitor which is in your price range, actually its cheaper currently:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236079
But is a little brighter, but 5ms response time compared to the 2ms your display has. Worth the trade off? Possibly, i personally cant see a difference from 5 to 2ms.
Heres another Samsung, normally advertised at $299 down to $199 and appears to be failrly similar:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001420

Solution

dercdell1

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Thank you for that highly detailed response. I would like to apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge but I was wondering if you could recommend a couple more monitors for me to look at.

I've done some research and I am definitely sure that I want an LED backlit monitor. That may be a given to some.

I've looked into the difference between a 5ms and a 2ms monitor and apparently it only makes a difference when going above 75 Hz(possibly KHz?). So perhaps a bit more brightness would do me some good.

I had not thought of the possibility of having 3D but it is interesting. I'll admit to not knowing which monitors have the option unless they are spelled out for me blatantly.

Also, would it be possible for me to hook any of these monitors up to a cable box and use it as a television?

dercdell1

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
oh and my apologies. asi have not yet built this new system, i am not sure what type of connection i would be using. most likely it will be whatever the most common one is these days.