Explain difference between LED and LCD monitors

beckandhigh

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
I have a new HP G62 laptop and the image is excellent. I have an older monitor (L.G. "FLATRON W1942S) which I have used with my desktop computer. I have noticed that the "definition" on the monitor is no where near a s good as the screen on the laptop (ie "verticals" appear "broken" and not clean. I want to use my laptop with a larger screen monitor, as I am 83 and not brilliant eyesight! I only use my computer fopr letters, E Mail, web information and discutions, etc. I do not use it for games. I am not exactly proficient in understanding technical "stuff" but would like your opinion on what type of monitor you suggest, such as "LED" or "LCD" or "BACKLIT", etc. Trust you can suggest a "type" I should look for. Thanking you very much in anticipation, and very many kind regards, T A Sidwell, Mr.,(a "still learning" geriatric!!)

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Well, let me clear up some common misconceptions. LED IS LCD. The difference between LED LCD and the older LCD's is that LED's are used for backlighting in LED monitors, while CCFL's are used in the older LCD's, they are both "LCD's" though. LED's produce a brighter light with more contrast than the traditional CCFL backlight, that's why you see your laptop is "cleaner" than your monitor, it could also be the fact that it may be old.

I recommend a LED monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080. If you give a budget, I can help pick one out as well!

As stated LCD and "LED" monitors are the same thing with different backlight.

Traditional LCD monitors use CCFL (cold compact florescent light) to light the entire backside of the LCD panel. This is known as a "full array". The number of CCFL bulbs can vary from as few as 2 (inexpensive monitors) to as many as 7 (more expensive monitors). The more bulbs used, the better the uniformity of the backlight can be. Also uses more electricity.

In "LED monitors" LED lights are used to provide the backlight and they are more energy efficient than CCFLs. All consumer level "LED monitors" do not have a full array backlight. Instead they are edge lit which means the LED lights runs around the edge of the LCD panel. This allows for a thinner design and helps reduce power consumption. The draw back it that you are likely to see more "backlight bleeding" around the edges of the monitor and the center of the screen might not be as bright as the other parts of the screen.

Backlight bleeding is when more light shines through that is supposed to. The causes certain areas of the screen to be brighter than it should be. For example, black might look more like dark grey. All LCD monitors (CCFL and LED) suffers from some level of backlight bleeding, it is a limitation of the technology.

Lastly, the LED lights are not actually white. LED monitors use blue LED lights with a yellow phosphorous coating to imitate white. A few people have noted that colors appear slightly bluish on some LED monitors. That points to an inadequate coating on the blue LEDs. However, this is not a very common issue.

G

Tell m an Full HD LED monitor within 8000 INR