Best monitor for 1280x720 and 1600x900 gaming

violentrl

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
I recently got a build and can't max out Battlefield 3 on 1920x1080. I get around 40 frames on 900p and easily above 60 on max. I choose to play on 720p and the picture looks horrible on my 40 inch tv.
Im looking to get a monitor because I tend to play better in front of a monitor. I can get 24' monitor with 1080p or monitors under that. Also, what brand and what resolution monitor is the best for my case.

Solution
you are replacing a tv with a monitor... do you have any other devices besides a pc which need to use this screen? if not then a pc monitor will work fine.

of course a 1920x1080 will show a better picture. the difference between the two is quite noticible. the difference between ultra high and high on most games is barely noticible. even dropping from 4xaa to 2xaa or 1xaa isnt terribly noticible but improves the framerate by a huge margin.

this is why i say to drop the game settings a notch and stick with 1080p. do what you want as you will be the one using the screen but i couldnt recommend going with anything lower resolution than 1080p.
in general 1920x1080 is the lowest resolution monitor you will want. the size is also the most common to find. anything less than that and its a throwback to the oldschool pc days of 1024x768 which looked pretty bad.

why are you dead set on playing bf3 at maximum settings? if you bought a budget gaming pc (hence the bad framerates) setting everything to maximums is normally out of the question. if you had extra money to burn you should have upgraded your parts instead of looking for a low resolution monitor. turn off or lower anti-aliasing or other effects first then perhaps lower quality down one notch until you get 60fps at 1080p and use your television.

if you just purchased the pc or parts perhaps look to upgrade the video card to the next level. some companies will let you upgrade for just the difference in cost.

violentrl

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012

Im actually trying to get rid of my TV in place of a monitor. I was wondering which would show better picture, a 1600x900 monitor or 1920x1080. If it doesnt make that much of a difference, I will get the latter. It's also nice because it's 24 inch+ as opposed to 21.5 and under.

Well I just dont like the feel of high settings when I can play ultra on lower res.

you are replacing a tv with a monitor... do you have any other devices besides a pc which need to use this screen? if not then a pc monitor will work fine.

of course a 1920x1080 will show a better picture. the difference between the two is quite noticible. the difference between ultra high and high on most games is barely noticible. even dropping from 4xaa to 2xaa or 1xaa isnt terribly noticible but improves the framerate by a huge margin.

this is why i say to drop the game settings a notch and stick with 1080p. do what you want as you will be the one using the screen but i couldnt recommend going with anything lower resolution than 1080p.

Solution

violentrl

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012

I originally bought my tv for console gaming but since I hardly play it anymore I won't be needing it.

You're right, playing on true 1080p on a monitor will better. I'll look for a 24 inch monitor with good response time.