LCD TV as monitor not working

astrob

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Hi all,

I searched the Flat Panel, Graphics Cards and Graphics & Displays forums for answers but couldn't find a solution.

I have a 22" LCD TV (Teac LCDV2255HD) which has a native resolution of 1680x1050 and says it's 1080i. I'm trying to use it as a monitor for my computer:
Intel Core2Duo E8500
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
4GB 800MHz DDR2
Gigabyte GTX 260 core 216 GV-N26OC-896I
Antec EarthWatts EA500 PSU
Windows 7 64

The issue I have is when I plug the monitor in while the computer is on the image stretches beyond the sides of the screen and colours are skewed no matter the resolution I try. When I plug the monitor in and start the computer the picture displays apparently fine until the Windows desktop shows up (so I don't know whether it is stretched or not) then the TV stops receiving the signal.

I have tried different VGA cables and HDMI cables but the issue stays the same. I've also tried a TV with a native resolution of 1360x768 which had the same problem.

I'm getting a bit sick of 1280x1024 on my 17" monitor when the card should be able to handle more. But I don't know whether to buy a dedicated LCD monitor, a new card or a more powerful PSU.

Thanks in advance!

G

Sounds like it works with the Windows start up screen because that's low res. Fails at desktop because the res is out of the Teac monitor's range. Start Windows in Safe Mode (press F8 just before Windows starts) and see if that works -- then adjust video settings down to the lowest acceptable and see what happens when you reboot. Alternatively do the adjustment down with your normal monitor attached than switch to the Teac.

Also look refresh rate -- normal monitor rate is as low as 60Hz -- don't know what the Teac might require - check the specs.

astrob

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
fihart:
Thanks for the quick reply. With the DVI/HDMI cable, safe mode worked fine but when restarted the signal was lost again. With the VGA cable I can get it working at 1028x768@75Hz and the image is stretched to the size of the screen but any other resolution causes the image to stretch beyond the screen.

Looking at the TV's specifications, in VGA it supports 1024x768@60Hz and 1440x900@60Hz but when I try to manually set the resolution to 1440x900@60Hz in the NVIDIA Control Panel it's stretched beyond the screen.

Does it sound like an issue with the card or the TV?

G

"Does it sound like an issue with the card or the TV?"

I don't know, but if the TV is advertised as working as a computer monitor it should. I'd see what advice Teac have to offer.

astrob

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
fihart:
I've sent emails to TEAC but received no response. When I called them I was put through to a service technician who said to him it doesn't sound like a hardware issue with the TV and I can bring it in for service but it will cost me even if they find nothing, which he said it sounds like the case.

I have since consulted Gigabyte about the GTX 260 & they have a firmware update which I applied. Now, it doesn't lose the signal and the colours are fine but every resolution is stretched outside the borders of the screen. Some are blurry and some aren't. The NVIDIA control panel says the native resolution is 1080i1920×1080 instead of what the TV specifications say (1680x1050, yet 1080i). I've tried scaling it in the NVIDIA control panel and I've tried adding custom resolutions but either they work momentarily, before I press the "Yes" button on the test popup or the test fails.

Would I have more luck posting this in the Graphic Card or NVIDIA subforums?

astrob

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I just had the opportunity to try an LCD monitor (Samsung B2230) and it works perfectly on 1920x1080. Games run fine, so it was only the TV which was problematic.

Thank you all who tried to help.

somenewb

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
(i know 2 year late, but who knows what this might help) i bought the same screen at a second hand store. the only resolution that works properly is vga 1280x800@60hz(nvidia control, change resolution, custom) . other resolutions are burry to read or parts of the screen are cut off. using hdmi has the same problems, but wasnt able to change vol, and enter teac's menu.

TRENDING THREADS