Hi Guys I currently have a custom built pc that i bought in 2007,

Specs Are:
ATI Radeon X1800
Asus P5NE-SLI
Raidmax Ninja Case
Intel Core2 Duo E4400 @ 2.0 ghz overclocked to 2.3ghz
exycool 700w PSU
4gb corsair DDR2 ram

As im sure you can tell its time for me to upgrade as im looking into playing alot more intensive games on my pc.e.g FSX, crysis. So the aim of my new computer will basically be to play any intensive pc game right now and any intensive pc game for the next 3-4 years at full settings will good fps.

Now i've got all my components that i want to buy but i wanna know if it might be a bit of an overkill considering the price and what my needs will be for the computer.Also (this might be a dumb and un-answerable question) but could anyone with a setup similar to the one im hoping to get give me an idea of how much of a performance increase this new computer will be in comparison to my old one.

Here are the specs for the comp im hoping to get
Antec 1200
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME
BETWEEN AT ATI RADEON 5970,5870 OR A NVIDIA GTX480( guys could you please give me some advice on which one you think would be the best for me)
6GB CORSAIR DDR3 RAM
Intel i7 930@2.80ghz
ZALMAN ZM1000-HP 1000W PSU
The £1,500 price limit is just for the actual computer itself no other accessories whatsoever e.g monitor, mouse , keyboard,speakers

The exact costs including other little things e.g cpu cooler, fan controller and an extra £70 hard drive comes up to £1,630(but the gpu i chose to get this result was the 5970 which is quite a bit more money than the others)
Also would there be any alternative components that you would advise me to get that will offer the same performance but for a lower price e.g do i need such a strong power supply.

More about : custom 500 aprox

April 19, 2010 5:21:47 AM

Don't have much time right now but here are a few things I notice right off the bat:

1. Get an i7 920, not a 930. You could easily overclock the 920 to the 930 speeds, no sense in spending extra money to have it overclocked for you.

2. Get the 5970 if budget allows, if not, get the 5870. The GTX480 is still a bit too expensive and hot.

3. Look for G.Skill Ripjaw RAM, it generally has a lower CAS latencies at the same or lower price than other brands.

4. the power supply is probably not necessary for what you are planning to do currently, however it is good to have a PSU that powerful in case you ever decide you want to add a second video card down the road. You could probably get away with something in the 800W range for the components you have listed currently, but you'd likely need to upgrade to an 1000W model to get enough PCI-E connectors for a second card, so imo it would be better to just get the 1000W PSU now. Make sure the PSU you do get has Active PFC, an 80+ rating, and preferably modular.
April 19, 2010 11:35:52 AM

You could probably get an x58 build under budget if you didn't go for the most expensive options, such as the Asus Rampage II Extreme, or overpriced Corsair memory, admittedly I don't know anything about the RAM you're looking at, but usually when people suggest Corsair RAM I can find another set that is just as good in terms of specs and is at least £10 cheaper.

I do not really agree with djg about the i7 920, as the i7 930 is the replacement of the i7 920 and the new one overclocks better as a result. If you aren't interested in overclocking, then this probably doesn't apply.

I do agree with djg about the 5970.

If you go for the 5970 and want to be able to add another then you will need a PSU that can reliably and sustainably deliver 950W on it's 12V rails. I've already looked at some 1000W PSUs that don't have even that much on the 12V rail. The Zalman ZM1000-HP and Corsair 1000HX have 960watts. So those are good choices.

If you went i5-750 and want to have the option of crossfiring two 5970s, then you'd need one of these mobos:
Asus Maximus III EXTREME £258
MSI Big Bang Trinergy £270
MSI Big Bang Fuzion £304
As these are mobos with multiple PCI-E 2.0 slots at x16. You would save money on the CPU and RAM (get a 4GB (2x2GB) set), but it's possible that you would spend more on the motherboard. If you got a 5870 then you could get one of the lower end P55 boards.

If you went the AMD route, with a Phenom II X4 955, then you would need a 790FX board to be able to run two 5970s at full speed. This would save money on CPU, mobo and RAM compared to what you're planning in the OP.

Then again by the time that a single 5970 is not good enough to play games at max settings, it might be a good idea to just replace it.

In your situation, you need to think about the GPU first, then get a mobo that can support two of them at full speed if you want that option. A strong PSU that can support two of the chosen CPU if you want to have the option. Then a strong CPU, any of the top CPUs from the three main platforms will be fine. Everything else just needs to be compatible really. With your budget my first choice would be the i5-750.
Related resources
April 19, 2010 11:46:46 AM

The above is farily insane. A single 5970 is absolutely overkill, crossfiring it is lunacy.

If I'm allowed to make a suggestion:

AM3 motherboard with the best possible chipset (790FX), wait a till late April for the Phenom II X6 to launch (or get an X4 right now if you can't wait) and get a single 5970. That would be a set-up that is at least just as powerful as an X58 rig, yet is a lot cheaper.
April 19, 2010 11:57:50 AM

Forgive me for seeing an x58 build with a 1000W PSU and thinking that the OP was considering crossfiring a 5970 and fleshing out that particular idea.

Are we really going to need a hexacore CPU for gaming in the next 3-4 years?

The Coolermaster HAF 922 is a lot cheaper than the Antec 1200, and has more space for a 5970. Might also help reduce the price abit.
April 19, 2010 12:43:42 PM

No, we do not need hexa-core gaming yet. But Thuban also has a form of Turbo, making this a better CPU at stock speeds than the current X4 CPU's even in non-gaming. And since the OP wants a high end build, I'm just pointing out AMD's highest end option. But agreed, an X4 965 is just as good, and upgrading later on is easy with AM3 (so easy I'm beginning to regret ever going 1156 btw)

And btw, the 922 is smaller than the 1200 (midi-tower vs full tower). The 932 is bigger though.

@OP: at what resolution do you play? A 5870 is fine for 1900x1200 and lower, even at highest settings.

A 1000W PSU? No way? A Zalman PSU? No thanks. Get a 650W model from Corsair or Antec, much better and probably also cheaper.

April 19, 2010 1:26:16 PM

The dimensions of the HAF 922 (LxWxD) according to newegg: 22.20" x 10.00" x 19.70"
The dimensions of the Antec 1200: 20.20" x 8.40" x 22.90"
As you can see the HAF 922 is longer from front to back, ergo the HAF has more space for a long graphics card. In fact it is well known that to fit a 5970 into the Antec 1200 you have to effectively give up a HDD bay. No such concession has to be made in the HAF.
April 19, 2010 3:06:13 PM

Thanks guys for all of your replys

@slimarunya i play my games at 1920x1200 so i might just go for the 5870 instead then in future crossfire it.

@djg9205 ill most probably just go for the i7 920 as like you said its easily overclockable and getting that will save me £60. Also i think i might just go for the 1000w psu because if i ever need to upgrade i wouldnt have to get a new psu.

@Silvune the reason why i chose the antec 1200 is because at overclockers uk its rather cheap, also because i know that it will fit everything quite comfortably and it arguably has the best air cooling on any case below £150.Also because i like the way it looks.

April 19, 2010 3:14:58 PM

Also is there any motherboard that you guys would advise me to get that can support 5870's in crossfire and has usb 3.0 and obviously an i7 aswell.
!