Building PC Optimised For Crysis Warhead (£1000 Max)

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I am now definitely building a whole new system, i want it to be optimized for Crysis (Warhead), starting with the graphics cards, for which i would be willing to spend £600, the rest of the system would be built to make the most of those graphics cards in Crysis. I'm going to try and keep the rest of the machine under 300 (I stress try).

I have read that the 275GTX's scale really good, especially in Crysis.

TriSLI 285 vs Tri Xfire in Crysis:

http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articl [...] re/P4.html

The 275 only scores 1-2 FPS behind the 285 if at all behind in all the benchmarks i've seen and i've read that you can overclock a 275 to being 4-5 FPS faster than a 285, some suggesting the 285 is just a waste of money(it would cost me about 200-250 each).

ATI Radeon HD 5870 Single, Crossfire and TriFire VS GTX 285 Single, Dual and Tri Sli in Crysis Warhead:

http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articl [...] re/P3.html

The 5870 gets smoked outrageously.

I could get 3 275's for about 450-500, 2 5870's would cost about 600-650, a 5970 would cost about 500-600, Amazon UK offers them for about 420, but they are out of stock and don't know when they will get more, my guess is it will be a long time.

I'm also very skeptical of the 5870's Crysis performance there seems to be so much conflicting data, opinions and reports. I may buy one to test on my current system, just for the sake of comparison.

I could get 3 GTX 285's for about 650, but i don't think that would be any significant improvements over the 275's in Crysis.

Now for the rest of the PC i need some suggestions, not sure whether to go for an I7 or not.

I'm going to stick with windows 32 and use 2x2GB ram, not sure what speed it would need to be.

I don't know anything about matching CPU Mobo FSB speeds in overclocking and how this effect Ram choices, so i need some help there.

All my PSU needs to do is run the graphics cards, a 1000 watt PSU should be able to handle whatever option i go for, i use 1 CD drive 1 Hard Drive, i have no idea how my mobo and processor would effect power requirements.

Here is a cheap PSU:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-1000W-AT [...] 3a5883d81e

# Multi-GPU support independent triple +12V rails designed specially for dual/tri graphic cards
# For Socket 775; AM2 and all backward comptable CPU's; For Quad Core/ Exterme systems

Not sure if that first part is spiel or not and am not sure if the second part indicates it will only work with socket 775.

So if i went with an I7 it would not work?

Edit: The thread in the graphics section is more active, if you think you can help please post in this thread, Thanks:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/283394-15-gtx275-trisli-5870-crossfire-building-system

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Sorry that was typo, at first it read windows 64, then i decided I'd stick with 32, typed it down, then forgot to edit the latter part of the sentence, I'll just edit it now.

megaman12

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
600 on graphics, and 300 on everything else, sounds to me like trouble. Rethink, don't got cheap on PSU and mobo, that can lead to many issues, with 1000 to spend I would try to stay around 300 maybe 400 for your gpu, with 300 for everything besides video card you are going to run into some serious issues, running 2 5850's on a first gen core2duo is the path your headed

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Agreed, OP you will be much happier with your build overall if you build from the core out, you could always save up your money for a few more months and get that top end video solution.

I personally never go top end on video its simply not worth it especially for one game which is, lets be honest, a freak of nature, crysis has been out for how long? and Ive yet to play another game that has the demands on a system it has. Paying real money for a core that lasts me a few years and upgrading as needed with midrange video solutions (most of which can run anything out at the time of release maxed out), has been the sweet spot for me in my experience for cost/performance.

You will regret cutting corners on the core of your pc later on I guarantee it.

3 out of your 4 links don't work, so they're not helpful to us at the moment (edit: followed the one working link to find that they could be followed over there). I think you are more likely to get a build suggested if you follow the guidelines in this post: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261222-13-build-advice

If you are willing to spend £600 on the graphics card, then you would be well advised to get the 5970, it will certainly max out Crysis on whatever resolution by itself - you will not need another card. However £400 is not very much to get the rest of the system - I doubt you would be able to get an i7. Not knowing exactly what you need and what you do not need I will save myself the headache from trying to come up with a build at this time.

Another advantage of going single card is that you will not need such a ridiculously large PSU. So you can get a high quality unit of 600W capacity for a lot less than the same for a kilowatt unit. I don't know exactly what PSU you tried to link, but I doubt that it is worth getting.

Another advantage of single card is that you will not need to pay a premium for a motherboard to get enough PCI-E slots for the number of cards you want to run.

towhog66

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
what they are trying to say in a nice way is you want to make ur pc/rig as balance as you can... you do not want a low end psu trust in that... that is the heart of ur rig... you can get a nice 750 w psu fore around 150$ us
if you need to save some money look at amd and ati! i love nv cards but they cost more so dose intel.... and make sure ur tower has good cooling. you can make the baddest RIG just to see it go up in smoke....

here is what i am using and it works great on crysis. game settings on gamer and that kicks ?#?.... it is balanced

Mobo ASUS M3N72-D duel Sli, AMD 940 quad core O.C 3.5 CPU, 125 watts, 1 LG 22" LCD 1680 by 1050 10,000 to 1. 2 ms, COOLING MASTER CPU COOLER gemin 2s, 2 EVGA 9800 GTXs + super clock GPUs…
CREATIVE Titanium Fatal1ty sound card,
Cooler Master PSU 750W real power, 2 WD HDD 500 G @ 7200 RPMS ( IN RAID 0 ), MUSHIIN MEM DDR2 2GX2 @ 1066, ANTEC 300 TOWER ( modded ) , G5 gamer mouse, Dolica gaming pad::::::::::::::::::

i put a lot of time in to put this thing together!