Your question

£550 computer build help

Tags:
  • Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2010 12:33:08 PM

Hey guys i am building my very first computer build i have saved up about £550 pounds but that included a moniter at 89.99. here is what i have put together i would like you please to see if it is all compatable or suggestions of what i could switch for etc for better bang per buck.

here are links to my build it is all from ebuyer

Case: Casecom Black Mid Tower Case £18.88 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/115479

Ram: OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 1333Mhz £47.80 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132911

PSU: Coolermaster 460W eXtreme Power Plus £39.54 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150596

DVD drive: Sony AD-5240S £15.81 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170014

HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB £39.76 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124228

Moniter: Acer X203 20" Widescreen £89.97 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/193681

Graphics card: XFX HD 5770 XXX 875Mhz 1GB GDDR5 £145.70 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190734

Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO £70.81 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169532

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz £68.88 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166518

Total: £537.15 this will leave a bit left over for extra case fans cool lights etc .

Ok and thats it. is that my best bang/buck ratio? this computer is mainly for gaming i would like to be able to play most games on full on the moniter i have chosen. but this computer will also be used for normal surfing and a bit of video editing. thanks guys and advice would be helpfull.

More about : 550 computer build

March 13, 2010 12:55:27 PM

550 British pounds = 834.46 U.S. dollars
Related resources
March 13, 2010 2:40:55 PM

Alvin Smith said:
550 British pounds = 834.46 U.S. dollars
Sorry, but I don't see how that helps.

OP: Save £6 and get this: AMD Athlon II X3 435 £60 It is at least as good as the Phenom II 550, if not better. If you're thinking about unlocking the defunct cores, obviously if you were successful in getting a quad the Phenom would probably outperform the Athlon unlocked quad. But you probably have a higer chance of getting a quad out of tri rather than a dual.
Also don't go for the most expensive 5770: XFX HD 5770 1GB DDR5 £135 The factory overclock doesn't get you much at all.
That Coolermaster PSU isn't the most reliable. I would use the money saved from the CPU change to get this: OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W £46
March 13, 2010 2:45:51 PM

Silvune said:

OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W £46

Sorry, but I *do* ... That difficult for you to ignore? ... And, since there could not possibly be any harm ... that would make your statement quite prissy, to my eyes.

= Peace =
March 13, 2010 2:52:57 PM

Maybe it didn't do any harm, however you could have done much more good by commenting on his selection, which is what he asked for.
March 13, 2010 3:14:17 PM

Silvune said:

OP: Save £6 and get this: AMD Athlon II X3 435 £60 It is at least as good as the Phenom II 550, if not better. If you're thinking about unlocking the defunct cores, obviously if you were successful in getting a quad the Phenom would probably outperform the Athlon unlocked quad. But you probably have a higer chance of getting a quad out of tri rather than a dual.
Also don't go for the most expensive 5770: XFX HD 5770 1GB DDR5 £135 The factory overclock doesn't get you much at all.
That Coolermaster PSU isn't the most reliable. I would use the money saved from the CPU change to get this: OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W £46

yes i will buy that graphics card and psu however the cpu i looked at benchmarks and in game the 550 out performed the athlon. also as it is a black edition it is better overclocked. what do you think? and has anyone got any suggestions on a good cpu cooler for overclocking?
March 13, 2010 3:51:13 PM

I offer you a proverbial handshake Alvin. Sorry for being a prissy fool.

I think the top CPU out of those two will depend on which game. If you've done the research and it's clear to you that the Phenom is better in the games you want to play, then fair enough. I will end by underlining that I was also suggesting the Althon for the advantage of being potentially more able/more likely to get a quad core out of it, I understand if you're not interested in that.

I'm kinda put off from suggesting a heatsink not knowing the dimensions of that case and therefore not being able to imagine how much space there is inside the case. Considering that you have about £25 for heatsink and thermal compound, something like this: Zalman CNPS7500-CU LED, Scythe Shuriken SCSK-1100 or Cooler Master Hyper TX3?
March 13, 2010 4:01:34 PM

Silvune said:
I offer you a proverbial handshake Alvin. Sorry for being a prissy fool.

I think the top CPU out of those two will depend on which game. If you've done the research and it's clear to you that the Phenom is better in the games you want to play, then fair enough. I will end by underlining that I was also suggesting the Althon for the advantage of being potentially more able/more likely to get a quad core out of it, I understand if you're not interested in that.

I'm kinda put off from suggesting a heatsink not knowing the dimensions of that case and therefore not being able to imagine how much space there is inside the case. Considering that you have about £25 for heatsink and thermal compound, something like this: Zalman CNPS7500-CU LED, Scythe Shuriken SCSK-1100 or Cooler Master Hyper TX3?

Ok cheers and yer i not too botherd about unlocking untill later in its life however i will be overclocking soon and i think the phenom will be better. you may be able to fine the case dimentions if you click on the link next to case. and ram seems to be very expensive at this moment in time anyone know a place to get it cheaper? and again thanks :) 
March 13, 2010 4:28:50 PM

Ah yea, according to one of the reviews it is (HxDxW) = 41cm x 48cm x 18cm
Which isn't a lot of room really, so look for low profile ones. The tallest of the ones I suggested was 14cm, which was the Cooler Master, which might be a bit tight, buy any of those three should be fine.
March 13, 2010 4:31:43 PM

Silvune said:
Ah yea, according to one of the reviews it is (HxDxW) = 41cm x 48cm x 18cm
Which isn't a lot of room really, so look for low profile ones. The tallest of the ones I suggested was 14cm, which was the Cooler Master, which might be a bit tight, buy any of those three should be fine.

ok i will look and mabe try and find a bit bigger case to fit a bigger cooler if not i will try and squeeze it in. what do you think about the ram? will it be enough for the time being
March 13, 2010 4:44:27 PM

Well I was fine on really slow 1GB of RAM for ages on two different systems, so 2GB of fast new RAM should be fine, if not desirable or perfect for a new system, for awhile at least until you can afford to get more. On a tight budget it probably is better to compromise on the RAM before anything else as it is so easy to upgrade.
And I had a quick look at RAM. Sometimes I wonder whether it's better to get a single 2GB stick now then buy another one when you can afford it to make it 2x2GB of RAM, rather than 4x1GB. When building it might be cheaper, but then you have to potentially worry about getting another matching stick.
March 13, 2010 4:50:59 PM

Silvune said:
Well I was fine on really slow 1GB of RAM for ages on two different systems, so 2GB of fast new RAM should be fine, if not desirable or perfect for a new system, for awhile at least until you can afford to get more. On a tight budget it probably is better to compromise on the RAM before anything else as it is so easy to upgrade.
And I had a quick look at RAM. Sometimes I wonder whether it's better to get a single 2GB stick now then buy another one when you can afford it to make it 2x2GB of RAM, rather than 4x1GB. When building it might be cheaper, but then you have to potentially worry about getting another matching stick.

Ok cool so if i buy a 2gb stick then later i could buy 2x2 and make it 6gb. but would those 2x2 have to match the original 2gb stick?
March 13, 2010 5:10:02 PM

Well you could but I meant get one extra stick, rather than two. Dual channel is supposed to be better than single channel. And I'm under the impression that two DIMM slots being used is more likely to be more stable than using all four DIMM slots - don't know how true/accurate this is. Like I said compromise now, by going single channel and only 2GB, and improve later when you have the money by getting 4GB in dual channel for the system.

Ideally you would buy another stick of exactly the same RAM from exactly the same manufacturer, as it maximises the chance of them working together. However you are quite likely to hear stories of people putting totally different RAM into the same system and it working. So if you can't get exactly the same stick, try and get one with the same speed, voltage, and latency. Availability of hardware can change quite drastically.

I've suggested getting a single stick of 2GB before and then adding another stick, never heard back from those people, so don't know what experiences they've had. And the reason I do it is because I thought it would be better for them to not have to replace/let those 1GB sticks go to waste if they wanted to get 4GB in dual channel or upgrade to 8GB.
Hopefully I haven't made you dizzy with all that.
March 13, 2010 5:16:28 PM

Just wondered if you had looked into Overclockers.co.uk.

I used to use ebuyer for ALL my parts etc but recently i checked out OC and they gave me brilliant service. Plus a number of the parts were cheaper on there. might be worth checking them out before you buy. It may give u a few extra pennies to spend on components.

After a quick check it seems that the RAM you orignally posted and the GPU are slightly cheaper on OC. I know that you are adjusting the components your putting in now but thought it mite be worth a check in case it opens up some extra options for you.
March 13, 2010 5:21:22 PM

Depends on lots of things ... Some mobos only OC on ch 0 and ch 1 so, full population is bad with those brds. If running at std clock, on one of these same brds, then full population is just a tiny/slight bit faster, because less latency in paging.

If on an "all slot OC" board then full pop is the way to go ...

Remember three things, tho ...

1) Full pop better be all the mem you ever need ... cause u r outta slots.

2) MORE memory, will make your system faster than Faster memory.

3) The more you OC, the more the 2x2 ch paging advantage is multiplied.

So if you are running stock ... Go with a 2 stick kit. Room to grow.

If you have a 4xOC mobo, AND you are max OC ... Then fully populate.

= Alvin = <<< Regardless ... the user is unlikely to perceive the difference.

March 13, 2010 5:21:22 PM

I would also recommend starting with 1x "GB stick then getting a further 2GB stick to add to it later. If you can afford to stretch to 4GB now then that would be best but you better off lokking at the fact ud be wasting money to buy the 1GB sticks now and have them sit in a draw when u decide to upgrade. _ of course it up to you but thats what i would do.
March 13, 2010 5:24:08 PM

And, yeah ... the more you OC the less stable (cross-timing) on a fully populated build. A tested/regulated kit (with satisfaction guarantee), would be worth a little more.

March 13, 2010 5:27:57 PM

Ok thanks every one I am happy with the ram and I may try and find a few more pennies to buy 4 gig straight out . Thanks for advice on overclockers I may use them if prices are slot cheaper but I would prefer buying all from 1 place as it is Easter and cuts back on shipping. Does anyone have a view on the case is it ok? And 1 more thing what do you think this computer could achieve in games eg frame rates etc. Cheers guys up have been a great help. Sorry for spelling as I am on iPod touch :L
March 13, 2010 5:32:25 PM

RobertSolman said:
Ok thanks every one I am happy with the ram and I may try and find a few more pennies to buy 4 gig straight out . Thanks for advice on overclockers I may use them if prices are slot cheaper but I would prefer buying all from 1 place as it is Easter and cuts back on shipping. Does anyone have a view on the case is it ok? And 1 more thing what do you think this computer could achieve in games eg frame rates etc. Cheers guys up have been a great help. Sorry for spelling as I am on iPod touch :L

I think ill leave that to someone else to analyse what the system can achive.

I think in general that ebuyer is cheaper for most of the parts that you have selected, bit OC do a free shipping option that says 5 working days but in my experience i recieve the products within 2 generally. Worth baring in mind but i know what you eman it does tend to be easier to order from one place.

Have fun building the system.
March 13, 2010 5:36:35 PM

BTW ... Unless both sticks are a matched pair (CAS timing *&* capacity) then the board will not run in dual channel mode and, believe this, YOU WILL notice a definate difference if your system fails to acheive DUAL CH mode ...

... Also not that if you go with 4 sticks ... each of the two sticks in ea matched pair must be of same capacity and when running two (matched) pairs ... ALL 4 sticks must be of exact same CAS timings.

... Further ... Pairs must be installed in staggered slots. So, a 2 stick config would go into slots "0" and "2" (1st and 3rd slots with empty slot between) ...

... Finally, some mobos require that you start population with the slot furthest from the CPU socket.

So if you had one pair of G.Skill Ripjaws with CAS of 7,7,7,21 at 2GB/stick and another set of RipJaws (notice same brand/series) with CAS of 7,7,7,21 at 1GB/stick ... then, that would be a valid config.

= Alvin =
March 13, 2010 5:42:06 PM

Ok cheers for help on ram I think to save trouble I will try an get 4gb set. Again anyone like to say what fps this rig would give in some games please?
March 13, 2010 5:48:45 PM

Which gpu did you finally decide upon ?
March 13, 2010 5:51:11 PM

I decided on 5770 but the non xxx edition. I will change my original post tomoro to my final build
March 15, 2010 3:19:28 PM

Silvune said:

March 15, 2010 3:38:14 PM

? why did u quote this?
!