£300 Build

G

My family's computer is getting increasingly slow and outdated at the moment, and they're all getting frustrated with it. My dad asked me to put together a list of components and a price, so he could get some sort of idea what he'd be getting for his money. The budget is around £300, but could probably be stretched a little if it would really be worth it (so let's basically say a budget of £300ish for the moment). I live in the UK, will be buying all of the parts online, and I would prefer to buy all or most of them from ebuyer.com, but I'll "shop" elsewhere if availability / prices are better. The PC will be used for basic home / office use (Microsoft Office, web browsing, e-mail, music, photos etc.) and seeing as the current PC is 6 years old, it should be built to last.

I have got here a build of my own to see what you guys think about it:

I was originally going to go with an AM2+ motherboard compatible with AM3 processors, and some DDR2 RAM, but seeing as this is built to last, I decided AM3 and DDR3 would be a better route. As for cooling, no overclocking for the foreseeable future at least, so the stock CPU cooler should do fine. The case comes with a rear 120mm fan; I can buy a front and/or side fan if you think it's necessary (I'm guessing not). The case is tool-less, which I can see being easier to access. I don't really mind a great deal though. On the MSI site it says that the motherboard comes with the "Gold Accessory Pack" and has a picture of some cables, which include at least 1 SATA cable. It also says that it will vary depending on where you buy it from, but the page on ebuyer has no mention of any accessories. Do any of you know what the "Gold Accessory Pack" actually contains?
Overall, what do you think?

EDIT: I've worked out how to do the links, I'm fixing them.
EDIT 2: I've fixed the links now :)

Hmm not sure how strict your budget is but perhaps hit a Corsair VX450 and think we could nab an X3 hehe
pjka.jpg

G

Do you think that the X3 would be a better performer in this case? Like I said, the computer will be used only for office / internet use.

izools

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Besides, Coolermaster case beats out a Casecom case any day of the year irrespective of it being a meagre Elite 330 ;)

G

Yeah, I had wanted to get that case as it looks like it would be easy to install drives, and it's nothing too flashy. Whilst I'm sure that Casecom case is fine, it's too flashy for this build to be honest.