New Build PC - £1,000 - Gaming / HTPC

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2010 10:08:01 AM

Hi All!

Long time member, newbie poster.

I've finished paying for my old PC so it's time to get a new one! As ever, my budget is £1,000. Not a penny more as that is the limit on my credit card and they've just given me 6 months interest free on purchases over £500 :D 

AMD Fanboy so will not be touching i7 this time around ;) 

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:10 Days
BUDGET RANGE: Upto £1,000
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Watching Full HD MKV, Gaming (properly), Encoding Blu-Ray to MKV, P2P, media server,
PARTS NOT REQUIRED:Monitors & Speakers. Already have a 19" TFT and 23" Full HD TFT - Also have Rotel amp and Kef speakers
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:eBuyer.com
PARTS PREFERENCES:AMD CPU, namely Phenom II 965, and a AMD 890GX based motherboard
OVERCLOCKING: Casual, not hardcore.
CROSSFIRE: Yes - 2x Radeon 5770's are cheaper than 1x Radeon 5850, which is slower than crossfire 5770 mostly
MONITOR RESOLUTION:1x 1920x1080, 1x 1440x900
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm not even remotely fussed about an all singing and all dancing case, just something that isn't offensive and makes a good butt-to-ground adaptor and won't cut me to shreds when installing everything - like this one:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sunbeam/SilentStorm

This is a preliminary build I quoted up for myself:

RE: the 650W PSU - You may say not much for this system - however - check out the review:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Seems to be happy with ripple free power right up to it's limit. And the £1,000 budget might not allow for a beefier PSU without going "No Name"... which is never good.

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

More about : build 000 gaming htpc

March 12, 2010 10:11:36 AM

EDIT:

One thing I've been pondering -

Samsung F3s or Deskstar 7K1000.Cs?
March 12, 2010 1:25:00 PM

Looking at your list the CPU cooler doesn't say AM3, so I would want to know that it fit on an AM3 mobo before buying it. Also have you considered whether it will fit in your case? Not saying that it won't just want to make sure you've thought about it.

Personally I would get the Samsung F3.

Quote:
RE: the 650W PSU - You may say not much for this system - however - check out the review
You probably don't even need a 650W PSU for that system - it's too beefy. I would say that your system would use 470W under full load, which means a good 550W PSU would do nicely.
Related resources
March 12, 2010 1:32:41 PM

ati reccomends 600 watts or greater for crossfire is you dont follow their guidelines they could refuse the warranty if one of your 5770's blows it

am2,am2+ and am3 all use the same mounting bracket
March 12, 2010 1:52:10 PM

Awesome so the cooler has the correct fitting (as I thought. I know 939 was different from AM2 so you got me worried there for a moment!).

Might foul the Core Fan Bracket in the case otherwise G2G.

PSU is OK as is then?

And swap the 7K100.C's for Samsung F3s.

One other question:

Antec Earthwatts 650W or OCZ Stealth XStream 600W? The OCZ is marginally cheaper...

Any other recommendations? Think I've got a good build going?

Thanks for the input so far :) 
March 12, 2010 1:55:24 PM

Silvune said:
Looking at your list the CPU cooler doesn't say AM3, so I would want to know that it fit on an AM3 mobo before buying it. Also have you considered whether it will fit in your case? Not saying that it won't just want to make sure you've thought about it.

Personally I would get the Samsung F3.

Quote:
RE: the 650W PSU - You may say not much for this system - however - check out the review
You probably don't even need a 650W PSU for that system - it's too beefy. I would say that your system would use 470W under full load, which means a good 550W PSU would do nicely.

550W even considering 2x 5770s and 2x 1TB Drives? I'll be plonking my old Raptor 150GB and two other drives from my old rig in there, too... bit of a load on a 12V rail powering 5x SATA drives one of which is 10K RPM :p 
March 12, 2010 1:57:20 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

IMO the only good, is the processor, the PSU, the RAM, and the GPU.

1- I would got for the CM Hyper 212+
2- Get the Spinpoint F3 1TB
3- I prefer the mobo without video onboard, so, I would get a Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5.

Here are the system requeriments for your GPU:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
Minimum 1GB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive
Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

So, make you sure that your PSU have at least a Plus certificate.
March 12, 2010 2:18:52 PM

izools said:
550W even considering 2x 5770s and 2x 1TB Drives? I'll be plonking my old Raptor 150GB and two other drives from my old rig in there, too... bit of a load on a 12V rail powering 5x SATA drives one of which is 10K RPM :p 

Before I was basing it on only the hardware that was on that list. I still think that you would be fine with a 550W PSU, but I would probably want a 650W PSU for all that.

Quote:
1- I would got for the CM Hyper 212+
3- I prefer the mobo without video onboard, so, I would get a Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5.

1. Unfortunately, that heatsink is not available on ebuyer.
3. The 890GX board is a good choice because it is quite future proof. And is cheaper than the board you suggested, and he's already very close to his budget's upper limit, so won't be able to afford it.
March 12, 2010 3:48:16 PM

Once again, thanks for your input.

I, too, prefer a motherboard without a built in GPU.

I read a few reviews about the Giabyte board and it seems the new chipset enables a whole new height of overclockability over the previous generation.

I'm not adverse to buying from somewhere other than eBuyer.

Could it be a better bet to hold off until the 8xx series of the 790FX is released?

Am I right in thinking that the 128MB sideport RAM can be disabled along with the iGPU so as not to interfere with the throughput / dual banking of the main RAM?

RE: CM Hyper 212+ - quieter than the Zalman?
March 12, 2010 3:49:13 PM

Oh, and definitely going with the Samsung F3's - they're cheaper anyway!
March 12, 2010 4:30:26 PM

Have been scouting the net and made some revisions - opinions?

Much nicer case which comes with a lower spec but more robust PSU.

Also much nicer, meatier, quieter CPU cooler.

Read Tom's review of the Deskstar 7K1000.C and to be honest I think it would suit me better than the F3 as it's streaming performance is higher and the wattage is lower...

What's everyone's opinion on this instead?:

!