All rounder pc £500-£550, build or buy?

Hello all,

I've been pretty out of touch with the hardware world recently as I've spent my days developing.... anyways I need a new all-rounder pc!! As the title suggests I've got roughly £500 and I dont wanna go over my £550 budget unless for that extra £20-£30 I get a serious performance upgrade. Im looking for a system with decent cpu, 4gb+ ddr3, 750gb+ hd & decent gfx & blue ray would be nice. My mate recently bought a novatech pc which runs a Intel Quad 8300, Nvidia 250GTS, 1tb 4gb ddr3 for £540.

Anyway I just want you fellas opinions and see what will get me more bang for my buck! Oh and the pc has to be quiet, I dont need no jet engines whizzing away in the corner!

Cheers
12 answers Last reply
More about rounder 500 550 build buy
  1. Building would get you more. You might want to follow the guidelines (the link is in my signature) so we can give you more help. We need to know at least what you're doing with the PC.

I would be remiss to not point out that you're asking a lot for such a low budget. Given 500 pounds is about $750, you can have one of the following on that: a high powered CPU, a decent GPU or BluRay.

For example, here's an expandable build for a gamer with your budget:

CPU/Mobo: X3 440 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $197 after rebate
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
    HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $90 or Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
    GPU: HD 5770 $155
    Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 650W $130
    Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $25

Total: $712.

I can't even guarantee that you can get that on your budget, as it's using probably the cheapest retailer in the US, and a couple of their best deals.
  2. MadAdmiral said:
    Building would get you more. You might want to follow the guidelines (the link is in my signature) so we can give you more help. We need to know at least what you're doing with the PC.

I would be remiss to not point out that you're asking a lot for such a low budget. Given 500 pounds is about $750, you can have one of the following on that: a high powered CPU, a decent GPU or BluRay.

For example, here's an expandable build for a gamer with your budget:

CPU/Mobo: X3 440 and Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 $197 after rebate
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
    HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $90 or Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
    GPU: HD 5770 $155
    Case/PSU: Antec 300 Illusion and Earthwatts 650W $130
    Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $25

Total: $712.

I can't even guarantee that you can get that on your budget, as it's using probably the cheapest retailer in the US, and a couple of their best deals.

cheap dvd/rw is about £15
    Case; about £15-20
    ram; about £94 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/180490
    PSU: about £50-60
    HDD: about £50-60
    GPU:about £115 ATI 5770
    CPU: about £54 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176042
    mobo: about £77 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/191059

total of *around* £490
    Dont think i missed anything. If you have more to spare, you could get a bigger hdd and/or better CPU.
    obviously you can pick the case your self, and just get the cheapest SATA DVD/RW on ebuyer.
    For the HDD, again you should be able to pick your self, a 1TB samsung F3 drive should be fine though.

PSU, any 600-700watt corsair, antec etc should be fine(dont quote me on this though)

Oh and i'd just forget about blu-ray for now, it needs time to settle in and become more widespread so that prices come down.

P.S the cheapest blu-ray reader with DVD/RW is £75. so i'd just avoid them for now unless you really need one(btw that one will not write blank blu-rays, blu-ray RW are about £150'ish.)
  3. Build is definately the way to go.

www.ebuyer.co.uk - very good prices and wide choice of components.
  4. MadAdmiral, you need to remember that he is in Great Britain. The computer dollar doesn't go as far there as it does here.
  5. I know. I doubt the OP will be able to get that on the budget. I was mostly giving a general build to show that the OP needs to define more of what he needs out the build...

Here's the actual build from Ebuyer:

CPU: X3 440 66
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 108
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 95
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB 64
    GPU: HD 5770 126
    Case: Antec 300 43
    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W 70
    Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner 19

Total: 591.
  6. MadAdmiral said:
    I know. I doubt the OP will be able to get that on the budget. I was mostly giving a general build to show that the OP needs to define more of what he needs out the build...

Here's the actual build from Ebuyer:

CPU: X3 440 66
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 108
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 95
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB 64
    GPU: HD 5770 126
    Case: Antec 300 43
    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W 70
    Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner 19

Total: 591.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190974 13 quid less for the 512mb edition. Case he could choose him self, so that could be easily 20 quid off. He could also get a cheaper motherboard, another 30 quid off and still have sata 6gbps and usb3.

He could also get a ocz psu which would be cheaper again.#

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176026 14 quid dvd/rw, nothing wrong with it, dunno why you need to pay an extra 5a.
  7. Yes, the OP could get the 512 MB version of the 5770, but it's a less powerful card, and doesn't save that much. It would be better to either drop DirectX 11 and get an HD 4870 (129 pounds) or pick up an HD 5750 (104 pounds). Or the OP could drop both the future proofing and some power and get an HD 4850 for 80 pounds. However, any of these changes would greatly affect the quality of the build.

OP could also get a board with USB 3/SATA III, but would lose Crossfire, which I consider more important than USB 3/SATA III. I looked at the Asus M4A79XTD EVO board at 89 pounds.

The reason to not get an OCZ PSU is that they aren't very high quality. OP would be much better off spending a little more for a quality unit.

The optical is good though.
  8. MadAdmiral said:
    Yes, the OP could get the 512 MB version of the 5770, but it's a less powerful card, and doesn't save that much. It would be better to either drop DirectX 11 and get an HD 4870 (129 pounds) or pick up an HD 5750 (104 pounds). Or the OP could drop both the future proofing and some power and get an HD 4850 for 80 pounds. However, any of these changes would greatly affect the quality of the build.

OP could also get a board with USB 3/SATA III, but would lose Crossfire, which I consider more important than USB 3/SATA III. I looked at the Asus M4A79XTD EVO board at 89 pounds.

The reason to not get an OCZ PSU is that they aren't very high quality. OP would be much better off spending a little more for a quality unit.

The optical is good though.

Yeah but hes on a budget, like most people, your build goes over his budget (as he wanted it around £500, £550 max)

and dont forget its only a all-rounder, i dont think he will be interested in crossfire. And i suppose the 13 quid difference between the 5770 512mb and the 5770 1gb isnt that much, depends if he can spare it.

and that board at 89 quid supports crossfire, which saves him 20 quid from the other one you suggested.
  9. I guess part of the problem is we really don't know what the OP is doing with the PC. If it's used for some gaming, the 5770 alone might not cut it for long. In which case, Crossfire would be good for leaving a cheap upgrade path open.
  10. MadAdmiral said:
    I guess part of the problem is we really don't know what the OP is doing with the PC. If it's used for some gaming, the 5770 alone might not cut it for long. In which case, Crossfire would be good for leaving a cheap upgrade path open.

Usually though, crossfire doesn't last as long as just upgrading to a completely new card. as a new card comes out with some new thing(dx 12 for example) and no matter how many dx11 cards u have in crossfire, you simply cant get dx12.

The 5770 should manage all games, including bad company 2, supreme commander 2, modern warfare 2, Alien vs predator 2010. Maybe it will even run crysis 2 which should come out in may.

Not having usb3 and sata 6gbps also cuts out upgrade paths too. Especially if he is planning on gettin a usb3 external hdd or an sata6 hdd later on.
  11. Crossfire should typically add a good year to two years to the life of a build. Considering the time frame, DX 12 shouldn't be expected to be mainstream for several years (I'm guessing 5-6). That means that Crossfire can be used to bridge the gap from the single card to needing the next technology.

Gaming depends on the resolution. The 5770 can play most games at maximum details at 1600x resolutions, with Crysis being the exception. Once you step up to a 1900x resolution, it begins to fail.

Agree on the USB 3/SATA III, but that can be fixed by buying an add on card later. So it's not as permanent as not having Crossfire.
  12. MadAdmiral said:
    Crossfire should typically add a good year to two years to the life of a build. Considering the time frame, DX 12 shouldn't be expected to be mainstream for several years (I'm guessing 5-6). That means that Crossfire can be used to bridge the gap from the single card to needing the next technology.

Gaming depends on the resolution. The 5770 can play most games at maximum details at 1600x resolutions, with Crysis being the exception. Once you step up to a 1900x resolution, it begins to fail.

Agree on the USB 3/SATA III, but that can be fixed by buying an add on card later. So it's not as permanent as not having Crossfire.

Agreed.

Although the OP has yet to comment...
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product