Sign in with
Your question

NEW BUILD EDIT SUITE FOR £700 (APPROX $1000)

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2010 8:25:35 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: NEXT WEEK

BUDGET RANGE: £700 (APPROX $1000)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HD EDITING

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: SOFTWARE, KEYBOARD, MOUSE, SPEAKERS, MONITORS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ANY

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: ENGLAND

PARTS PREFERENCES: ANY

OVERCLOCKING: NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS OR WHAT IT DOES

MONITOR RESOLUTION: SEE BELOW

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: THIS SYSTEM WILL BE USED SOLEY FOR EDITING HD FOOTAGE USING PREMIERE CS4. NO INTERNET OR ANY OTHER PROGRAMMES.

I NEED 4 MONITOR OUTPUTS, TWO FOR PREMIERE, THE 3RD FOR A GRADED MONITOR AND THE 4TH TO MY PROJECTOR. i HAVE HOOKED UP MY PROJECT USING PREMIERE AND A D-SUB CABLE BEFORE BUT GET HORRIBLE PICTURE QUALITY, YET WHEN USING A MATROX CARD THROUGH THE PROJECTOR THE QUALITY IS FINE. HOWEVER, THE MATROK CARD I HAVE DOESN'T SUPPORT HD AND I'M NOT THAT INTERESTED IN BUYING A NEW ONE.

SO, IN BRIEF....

4 MONITOR SET UP AS DETAILED ABOVE

MAXIMUM SPEED (IS IT TRUE YOU CAN BUT AS MANY GIG OF RAM IN THE MACHINE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE WINDOWS 64BIT????)

ABILITY TO OUTPUT 5.1 (OPTIONAL)

HARD DRIVE - IS IT BEST TO USE SATA DRIVES FOR EDTING? I'VE HEARD SO MANY DIFFERENT THINGS. IF SO COULD THYE BE EXTERNAL, AND MY BACK UP (STORAGE DRIVES) REMAIN USB?

THANKS IN ADVANCE, SORRY IF SOME OF THE QUESTIONS SEEM A BIT STUPID, BUT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BUILDING SYSTEMTS, ONLY THE PROGRAMMES.

MANY THANKS

CAPTUREFILMS
March 6, 2010 9:23:39 PM

I am not making a recommendation (necessarily), here ... this is just something to "munch upon", while you define your needs and explore your budgeted options.

So, here is a system that both SONY and B&H (our largest US broadcast vendor) would say is an appropriate turnkey solution, for VEGAS 9 (Pro).

The price is USD and the Pro edit software is included in the package price.

I have not even looked at the specs, yet, but adjustments could almost certainly be made and savings could surely be realized, by building to your own priorities.

I do intend to go over these specs because I am moving up from VEGAS Platinum 9 to VEGAS 9 Pro and I am working with HDV and AVCHD at 25Mbits/sec. Just something to reference, as a comarison benchmark.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/620367-REG/B_H_Ph...

=Al =
March 6, 2010 9:49:38 PM

This is a case where you would (druthers) very much like to go with two ADOBE certified PNY QUADRO FX series workstation cards ... not gonna happen, on twice your budget ... so ...

... You *DO* (most definately) want to go nVidia, in this case (C4) ... Specifically, two of these ....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Two 9800GTs would be half the cost but would not provide much future compatibility.

Really depends on how much work you do ... what sort of renders (and the frequency and volume of renders .. per month)

Read over all the features *this* recommendation provides, regarding future compatibility support.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

March 6, 2010 10:03:27 PM

actually, I missed that the card had less than 1GB GDDR ...

... I would like to see 1GB GDDR per card, to support 4 HD monitors, from two cards.

For my own sake ... I am taking your case very seriously, because I am realizing (just now) that your needs are MY needs, because adobe products are part of ANY Pro edit suite (photoshop, even if nothing else) and Adobe and Avid have been refining their system requirements for a few generations, now.

There is a lot of "cross traffic" (file exchange) between Avid<>CS4<>FCP, in the Hollywood (Big Iron) film industry (if you think that is important)

Point? ... nVidia architecture is specifically and directly leveraged by various CS4 modules and plug-ins ... particularly, 3D/Vector modelling and effects ... 3D motion titles (film and TV credits) and some complex lighting and shading algorythms.

I guess ... The most expensive and newest (matched pair for 4 display HD ) nVidia card you can afford, short of a Quadro FX (approved Pro Solution).

= Al =

!