Sign in with
Your question

£600-800 general use/gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2010 2:16:16 PM

Looking for ideas on what to include in a new build - this is the first time I am building my own PC so any reasons/comments about your choices would really help me out.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Some time soon, as soon as the decision is made.

BUDGET RANGE: £600-800 (willing to pay the top end of the range if the performance benefit is good)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Surfing the net, generally with excessive tabs open including watching flash videos iPlayer etc. Playing games (would like to still be able to play new games at low graphics settings in a few years time).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor - HP 2159m - native resolution 1920x1080 (currently trying to run games full screen at this resolution on the old computer and the extra resolution does seem to slow things down)
Speakers - currently have the ones which came with my previous Dell PC (seem to be called Dell A525 TH760) - but happy to buy new ones if these are bad.
Have the old dell keyboard and mouse, happy to keep the keyboard - new mouse would be good.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preferred site, any which are reliable and good - as long as everything works/good customer service if it doesn't I'm happy.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: London, UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: Good brands, reliability is probably most important. Would like to keep the same computer for about 4 years without it breaking down (this is what my old dell managed before the graphics card gave out).

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe - would need some convincing that its safe/necessary
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe - if its the best solution

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Not too noisy. Need the case to fit under the desk so nothing gigantic (current full size case fits fine).

Mostly looking for a computer which has good quality components so will be reliable - at best I would like to not have to make any changes to it for 3/4 years. Would like to keep the same basic set-up and upgrade some components where necessary after that.

More about : 600 800 general gaming

February 20, 2010 3:05:46 PM

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 £122
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO £85
RAM: Patriot Sector 5 Viper II 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz + 3D Mark Vantage PVV34G1600LLKB CAS 7 1.65V £77
GPU: XFX HD 5850 HD-585A-ZNBC 1GB £250
PSU: Antec Truepower New 650W PSU, Modular, 120mm PWM Fan, 80+ Bronze £81
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB £40
Case: Antec Three Hundred £41
Windows 7: £75
SATA DVD Drive £20

Total: £811
One of AMD's best quad cores. Not enough money in the budget to get a good Intel CPU. A motherboard that supports crossfire. Good fast, low latency RAM. The GPU is eating a lot of your budget, but the 5770 is unlikely to be desirable for new games in 3 years time, however two of them in crossfire would be better than a single 5850. But this system is geared towards being able to crossfire 5850s. PSU has enough connectors and power for two 5850s. Nice fast drive. Good case for the price, should fit everything in.
If you change to a 5770, then you could get a cheaper 600W PSU.
You will probably have to make the judgement on the GPU based on what games you will want to play now/soon. Look at benchmarks for the games you want to play. And keep in mind that you can turn down some of the settings to get playable framerates in games at 1080 if they aren't already.
February 28, 2010 3:07:02 PM

Silvune said:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 £122
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO £85
RAM: Patriot Sector 5 Viper II 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz + 3D Mark Vantage PVV34G1600LLKB CAS 7 1.65V £77
GPU: XFX HD 5850 HD-585A-ZNBC 1GB £250
PSU: Antec Truepower New 650W PSU, Modular, 120mm PWM Fan, 80+ Bronze £81
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB £40
Case: Antec Three Hundred £41
Windows 7: £75
SATA DVD Drive £20

Total: £811
One of AMD's best quad cores. Not enough money in the budget to get a good Intel CPU. A motherboard that supports crossfire. Good fast, low latency RAM. The GPU is eating a lot of your budget, but the 5770 is unlikely to be desirable for new games in 3 years time, however two of them in crossfire would be better than a single 5850. But this system is geared towards being able to crossfire 5850s. PSU has enough connectors and power for two 5850s. Nice fast drive. Good case for the price, should fit everything in.
If you change to a 5770, then you could get a cheaper 600W PSU.
You will probably have to make the judgement on the GPU based on what games you will want to play now/soon. Look at benchmarks for the games you want to play. And keep in mind that you can turn down some of the settings to get playable framerates in games at 1080 if they aren't already.

Sorry about the slow reply, thanks for the info.

You say that there isn't enough in the budget to get a good Intel CPU, do you think this is a problem, or is the AMD good?
Related resources
February 28, 2010 3:11:14 PM

amd is great on a budget intel may be a lil bit better on performance but amd has excellent bang for buck value
February 28, 2010 3:24:51 PM

Great, thanks obsidian
February 28, 2010 3:29:49 PM

The 955 is AMD's second best CPU, so therefore very good.
I read something on this forum yesterday or the day before about AMD coming out with new chipsets and the boards will have SATA 6Gbps. Don't know when these will arrive or how much they will cost, but if I was buying now, I'd try and find out more info about them.
February 28, 2010 3:37:36 PM

Silvune said:
The 955 is AMD's second best CPU, so therefore very good.
I read something on this forum yesterday or the day before about AMD coming out with new chipsets and the boards will have SATA 6Gbps. Don't know when these will arrive or how much they will cost, but if I was buying now, I'd try and find out more info about them.

like these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
February 28, 2010 3:53:25 PM

yes you mean the ones coming after april and giving rise to the leo platform

February 28, 2010 4:54:16 PM

Can I ask why you pretended to not know what I meant?
February 28, 2010 5:24:29 PM

what do you mean? i thought you meant boards with usb 3 and sata6gb/s not the whole series revamp but the op wants to build it now not wait a few months ,im myself waiting for a 890x board

AMD is planning to create a desktop implementation of its Opteron "Istanbul" monolithic six-core processor. Codenamed "Thuban" (named after a star in the Draco constellation, which means Dragon), the new processor will be based on the socket AM3 package for compatibility with existing and future desktop core logic. It features six cores, 9 MB of total cache (6 x 512 KB L2 + 6 MB L3). Thuban is aimed to make for AMD's high-end desktop processor, as the company prepares to face competition from a near-complete lineup of processors based on the Nehalem/Westmere architectures from Intel. It is expected to be the posterboy for AMD's "Leo" high-end consumer desktop platform that succeeds its current Dragon platform.

Some of the key components that make up AMD Leo platform are the upcoming AMD 890FX and 890GX chipset, companion SB800 series southbridge chips, and members of AMD's Evergreen family of DirectX 11 compliant graphics processors. On the software front, AMD will give its Fusion and Overdrive utilities some big updates. The SB800 series southbridge chips will feature native support for SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0; connectivity is further enhanced by integrated Broadcom MAC Ethernet interfaces. While the Leo platform is expected to launch almost simultaneously with the 8-series chipsets, the six-core Thuban processor on the other hand comes later. It is due only in Q3 2010. Thuban will have come out an year after its enterprise implementation in the form of Opteron "Istanbul". said:
AMD is planning to create a desktop implementation of its Opteron "Istanbul" monolithic six-core processor. Codenamed "Thuban" (named after a star in the Draco constellation, which means Dragon), the new processor will be based on the socket AM3 package for compatibility with existing and future desktop core logic. It features six cores, 9 MB of total cache (6 x 512 KB L2 + 6 MB L3). Thuban is aimed to make for AMD's high-end desktop processor, as the company prepares to face competition from a near-complete lineup of processors based on the Nehalem/Westmere architectures from Intel. It is expected to be the posterboy for AMD's "Leo" high-end consumer desktop platform that succeeds its current Dragon platform.

Some of the key components that make up AMD Leo platform are the upcoming AMD 890FX and 890GX chipset, companion SB800 series southbridge chips, and members of AMD's Evergreen family of DirectX 11 compliant graphics processors. On the software front, AMD will give its Fusion and Overdrive utilities some big updates. The SB800 series southbridge chips will feature native support for SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0; connectivity is further enhanced by integrated Broadcom MAC Ethernet interfaces. While the Leo platform is expected to launch almost simultaneously with the 8-series chipsets, the six-core Thuban processor on the other hand comes later. It is due only in Q3 2010. Thuban will have come out an year after its enterprise implementation in the form of Opteron "Istanbul".

February 28, 2010 5:32:49 PM

I thought the 'new chipset' bit would have given you a sufficient clue to what I was getting at. I apologize for being so lax in my wording and assuming you knew what I meant. I mentioned it because I didn't know when it was coming out, I thought it might possibly have been soon enough to not be a two month wait. Now it is up to the OP if he is willing to wait.
February 28, 2010 7:20:15 PM

He could wait for that, and he would also wait for Fermi, wich could change The graphics picture, so he has 2 reasons to wait.
February 28, 2010 7:50:22 PM

Lol I'm a girl Builderbobftw. So you guys think its worth waiting or not? How long would I have to wait and what would the price difference be?
February 28, 2010 7:59:17 PM

anything from 2 -6 months
February 28, 2010 9:42:04 PM

Oh, Lyndia should have tipped me of that you were female. But yeah, you should wait, many things are gonna change in a month or to. (Fermi, New Intel, and AMD offerings, Northern Islands, etc)
!