Just got a U2312HM. I have a question about dot pitch.

Toddcraft

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hello, I'm confused about something.

I've been using a 19 inch CRT for the last 6 years. It finally died and I have replaced it with the U2312HM IPS LED-Backlit panel from Dell. The colors are gorgeous but the text and images look worse to me than my old CRT. I can see the pixels and it bothers my eyes. It's not smooth like my old monitor was.

My old monitor's dot pitch was 0.25. The new one is 0.265. Would this possibly make THAT much of a difference to where things would seem much more pixelated to me, or this just something that is common when going from a CRT to an LCD? If I bought an LCD with a dot pitch of 0.25 would it look similar to my old CRT (in terms of pixels/blocky text)? Would the fact that it's LED-Backlit make any difference at all?

My resolution is set to the native 1920x1080.

Any help is extremely appreciated.

Solution
Well, it's a different sort of display. Give it a week. Reading text on CRTs drives me nuts because it bounces around. I do find anti-aliasing helps in games.

It's not the dot pitch, the pixels in CRTs are different then those in LCDs. CRTs give you more of a spattering of light that has a bit of a texture to it. LCDs are much more blocks of color.

After you use an LCD for a while if you try to go back to a CRT it'll seem blurry.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Well, it's a different sort of display. Give it a week. Reading text on CRTs drives me nuts because it bounces around. I do find anti-aliasing helps in games.

It's not the dot pitch, the pixels in CRTs are different then those in LCDs. CRTs give you more of a spattering of light that has a bit of a texture to it. LCDs are much more blocks of color.

After you use an LCD for a while if you try to go back to a CRT it'll seem blurry.

Solution

Toddcraft

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Thanks a lot.

I was thinking of sending it back and trying to get the U2212HM instead as it has a .248 dot pitch to see if it looked any better, but if that's not the issue then I will give my eyes some time to get adjusted.

TRENDING THREADS