1680 x 1050 Gaming 1200£/1800USD Budget

vh100

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Hello everyone,this is my first post so be easy.

As the title suggests i am looking for a system for about 1200£,i already have all peripherals inluding a Dell 22 Monitor 2208wfp, budget is for the base unit alone.

Proposed build: 1230£
Antec Twelve Hundred Black
Cooler Master Real Power M850
Core i5 750
Sapphire Radeon HD5870
Akasa AK968 X4 Cpu Cooler
4GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair C8Twin3x
MSI P55-GD65 Socket 1156
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
Samung DVD-RW
Winows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

This will be purchased from

http://www.wired2fire.co.uk/

Questions:

1.Is this ovekill for gaming at 1680 x 1050?
I am looking for a system that will play current games as well as future titles at max settings( i dont plan to do any major upgrades other than another video card to run in CF in a couple years if the need arises ) .

2.If this config. is too much for this particlar resolution, what would be a more ideal build?
I really feel 22" for a monitor is ideal for me as i have checked larger screens and i am more comfortable at this size.

3.If my proposed build is alright for the resolution and my needs,is it a balanced build?
Should i spend more or less on any component,is it lacking anything?

I will be purchasing sometime in April.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

countessa

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz @ 3.60GHz
Asus P7P55D Intel P55 Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-12800C9 1600MHz DDR3
Sapphire Radeon HD5870
Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
Samung DVD-RW
Winows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
Corsair H50-1 High-Performance CPU Watercooler (Socket LGA775/1156/1366/AM2/AM3)
Corsair HX 850W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-850HXUK)

there is a quick system i made on overclockers.co.uk and it cost £1,222 (note the i5 is overclocked)
the build you have is fine BUT there is no point in planning a build now because components change every week/month
also i suggest building yourself its ALOT cheaper and more fan spending 4 hours making the *perfect cooling system*

vh100

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

The system from wire2fire also is overclocked,it was one of their options along with system tuning and cable managment.
This particular config is not set in stone , mainly i wanted to hear people opinions on what would be an excellent system for my particular needs(price/performance/needs-1680 x 1050).That being said components do change freqently so most likely an updated config will be necessary

I dont have a problem building my own systems,my problem is that i live in South America Guyana where PC parts are outdated but are priced to match current hardware.I would have liked to build my own system but i am afraid to purchase parts online and have them shipped to me.

Reason being the parts might be DOA and i will not be able to ship them back.Building a complete system online gives me the confidence that everything works before it is shipped,i also have relatives coming in from the UK that will bring the system or me (you guys dont know how lucky you are to actually have a warranty on a computer part) .
So as you can see i dont mind paying extra for a prebuilt.Wire2fire also seems to test their systems really good,this is from their website:

'' Testing and Reliability

All of our systems are thoroughly tested to reduce the chances of a system fault. It's not simply a case of turning the system on to see if it works. Our technicians go through a rigorous series of checks and tests to make sure your system is working perfectly.

The first thing we do is test the system is performing as it should. We do this by running the system through a series of synthetic and real game benchmarks, which you will see the results of in the system manual.

We check all the ports are working correctly and all the components are behaving as expected. The audio system, USB ports, optical drives and ethernet ports are all individually tested.

Finally, the system is put through one of the most rigorous stress tests possible. We will set the system up as it will ship to you, and then run Prime 95 continuously on all processor Cores. This tests the CPU and memory integrity and increases the system temperatures to well beyond what normal gaming use would produce. This is run for 18 hours straight – any errors or problems and we start again. We also simultaneously test the graphics sub system by running a looped test to check standard graphics functions as well as specific tests, this also runs for the full 18 hours. The screen output is also visually inspected for artifacts to make absolutely certain any weak components are removed before the system ships to you.

The net result of this testing is that we have an excellent level of reliability. By stressing components for long periods of time we pick up anything that may become faulty. As a result, the chances you will have to call our excellent support line will be very small. ''

If anyone has a better suggestion on how to go about doing this ,i am open to suggestions.

Taking into account that you want this system tested so that you know it will work and that your location is a big factor, I would say that the only thing that could be improved without substantially increasing the price is by getting a better CPU cooler. If these are your options http://www.wired2fire.co.uk/gaming_shop.php?cPath=12_49 then I'd get either Alphenfohn Brocken or Promilatech Megahalem for air cooling and the Corsair one if you don't mind water cooling.
You should check out customer reviews of that site.
How are your relatives going to be bringing the unit over? I would have thought that it would be just as easy for a pre-built to get damaged in transit as it would be for individually, packaged components.
Finally I would say that your system is very well balanced, powerful at gaming and likely to be so for a long time. And then easily upgradeable by adding another 5870, or possibly replacing it.