£300 Server PC with Transcoding capability

Mr S

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hi Everyone

I need some advice - Going to be building a Server PC for around £300 (less if possible) and need some help and advice.
May also use as a HTPC but primarily a server.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Mid February

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Server - backing up fles, streaming files including divx. Possibily act also as HTPC.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Motherboard, processor, case, power supply, ram, dvd rw.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Scan, overclockers, Ebuyer, Dabs, amazon, ebay. COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD, Intel, Asus, Gigabyte.

OVERCLOCKING: No CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Not required

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs to be as quiet as possible. Also would like to to consume as less energy as possible without compromising on performance.

Typical components Im looking at (Extracted from the recommded builds section)

Non-Gamer:

* CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX - Retail
* MOBO: ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
* RAM: 4gb Ram required?????? (Should be enough)
* HSF: None Required
* HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 1TB
* PSU: Antec Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power ... - Retail
* GPU: None Required - This system will use on the onboard video, since graphic power is not a priority.
* DVD: SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - OEM
* Case: Good case needed with airflow?????
* Thermal Compound: What ever comes with the stock cooler
No OS required - Already purchased.

No Games will be played, just streaming, transcoding, downloading and used for backups. Will have Windows Home Server installed.

Budget is around £250 - £300.

Any adivce on where to buy parts for cheap also if I have the correct hardware or do I need to change components?

Help is much appricated.

Regards

vanekl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
The links provided are US -- I'm too lazy to find UK equivalents. Sorry, another lazy American.

I would have gone with the MSI 785GM-E65 instead of the Asus board because the MSI is energy efficient (only 44 watts at idle).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813130233

I would use the following case because it is quiet. Note the case includes a psu.
Antec New Solution NSK2480 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.amazon.com/Antec-NSK2480-Desktop-case-380W/dp/B000T4MRF8/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I would use only 2GB DDR3 1066 RAM in a build of this type (using WHS). If you were planning to use Win7, then I would have chosen 4GB.

If this is going to be used for backups of important files, then I would purchase two HDDs instead of one so that your files can be mirrored. HDDs wear out.

You might need to purchase a SATA II cable.

I have no idea if this meets your budget because I'm not sure what's exactly in the 250-300 pound budget. I just selected some quality components. Your other components look fine.

Mr S

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Many thanks Vanekl.

Was doing some reasearch does anyone think this should be ok for the case and PSU??

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135101

For £58.00 for the case and PSU is really good I think. How would it compare to the Antec Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power??

Regards

Mr S

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hi Everyone

Originally I wanted to purchase the below; (Parts taken from the recommended PC build advice section) which would have cost me £194

* CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX - Retail
* MOBO: ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
* RAM: 4gb Ram required (Should be enough)

However - I have found this deal which is really good and wondered what the main differences were / is the below better?
I can get this for £175

*Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz AM3 Retail Box Processor
*Asus M4A785TD-M EVO 785G Motherboard
*2GB DDR3 1333 Memory

The processor is faster, and the motherboard accepts DDR3 Dual channel I think (Can someone confirm) - does that mean ill have to get another stick of DDR3 Ram? If so any suggestions on cheap ram that will work with the existing non branded one?

Overall what do you think?

Your help is much appreciated!!

vanekl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Yes, the board is dual-channel ddr3, but one stick should work, too. You computer will work faster if you fill the memory slots two at a time.

The board and cpu are quality parts for a budget build. It looks like a better deal.

Don't know what the timings are for the memory but for your use the memory should be fine.

Mr S

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Many thanks mate - your sure it should work on 1 stick of ram even though its Dual channel?

If I wanted to add another stick of RAM how would I find out which stick to buy? (Im assuming that the second stick of RAM would have to match the first one - is that correct?)

Regards

vanekl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Most dual channel boards work with just one stick if you put them in the first slot on the board. If you want confirmation, get in touch with asus tech support.

If you want to buy a second stick, yes, you should match it with the first stick. You would be able to match it after finding out what the first stick's size and timings and manufacturer are. Or get a model number of the memory. Or the 2GB may already be two 1 GB sticks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts