Samsung 2494HS Monitor Resolution Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

clynt

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Hello,

I recently bought a Samsung SyncMaster 2494HS monitor for my HP Pavilion computer (running Windows 7 64 bit). The monitor's optimum resolution is 1920x1080 but when I set it to this resolution, more than half the taskbar and half the column of left hand screen icons are cut off. I can view the task bar and icons if I set the resolution to 1768x992 but if I do this, I continually get the message that my monitor is not set to optimum resolution (this message lasts for quite a while).

I contacted Samsung Support but they just said to read the manual. I've read the manual but still can't figure it out. Using the OSD, I want to make horizontal and vertical adjustments but apparently this can only be done in Analog Mode and I can't figure out how to get into Analog Mode.

The monitor is connected to the computer with an HDMI cable which the store threw in with the monitor/computer purchase and they said to use to connect the monitor to the computer. At the computer, the HDMI cable connects to the computer using an HDMI to DVI adaptor.

(A design difficulty with this monitor is that it is quite difficult to see the controls on this monitor; they are under its bottom right hand side; I use a mirror to see them.)

I've downloaded the latest drivers (using Device Manager) for the monitor and video card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260). Can someone please help me with my resolution problem?

Clynt, Sydney, Australia

Solution
Hello.
I had a similar problem with an hdmi cable, i didnt use a converter though, that could be your problem. I switched to using a dvi and all works great.
This screen is really decent bar one thing, i have 3 of them on my table and i find they get abit too warm for my liking, other than that, great screen.

Graham, SA

Graham Beuster

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello.
I had a similar problem with an hdmi cable, i didnt use a converter though, that could be your problem. I switched to using a dvi and all works great.
This screen is really decent bar one thing, i have 3 of them on my table and i find they get abit too warm for my liking, other than that, great screen.

Graham, SA

Solution

clynt

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Thanks Graham,

I've disconnected the HDMI cable and connected up the monitor using the DVI cable that came with it and now it seems to work fine.

The HDMI cable was one of the sweeteners which the store used to persuade me to buy the HP computer whch they advertised as coming with an HP monitor which they didn't have in stock so they offered me the Samsung at a significant discount. The HP computer doesn't have an HDMI socket, hence the adaptor.

Well now I've got a spare HDMI cable for which hopefully I can find a use.

Thanks again for your advice, I'll no longer get the suboptimal resolution warning obliterating the screen.

Clynt

clynt

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

Thanks Graham,

I've disconnected the HDMI cable and connected up the monitor using the DVI cable that came with it and now it seems to work fine.

The HDMI cable was one of the sweeteners which the store used to persuade me to buy the HP computer whch they advertised as coming with an HP monitor which they didn't have in stock so they offered me the Samsung at a significant discount. The HP computer doesn't have an HDMI socket, hence the adaptor.

Well now I've got a spare HDMI cable for which hopefully I can find a use.

Thanks again for your advice, I'll no longer get the suboptimal resolution warning obliterating the screen.

Clynt

ianawal

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I had the same issue - and using a DVI connections solves it... except my screen sometimes doesn't detect the signal on DVI, and I have to reboot... crazy as I too expected the HDMI to work. I just use HDMI on the lower display setting now as it is easier!

krazeyboy@zn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I had a similar issue, just to rehash hdmi plugged in, set for native res (1920x1080) but edges of display are "out side the edges" of physical screen. Try this if you still having the issue. bring up the OSD got to setup/image size and make sure that is set to wide. also make sure the av mode isn't activated also under setup. Obviously all this using the hdmi

it worked for me

Krazeyboy

koko1212

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Krazeyboy Your'e The MEN !!!!!

worked like a charme...

thanks dude

Status
Not open for further replies.