LED or 120Hz against eye strain?

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I've heard that LED monitors reduce eye strain,but I have not had the chance to test it.It also seems that some people are irritated by LED monitors.
I know LCDs do not refresh like CRTs but there are many people saying that a 120 Hz Lcd and a 60 Hz Lcd are much different and 120 Hz is much smoother.

The thing is,I had a 4:3 19" LG monitor (probably 4-5 years old) and I had no problems with it until I built myself a new system.After the new system,I usually get headaches after like playing an hour.Plugging in a really old CRT monitor (isn't even flat screen) does not fully recover,but makes it lighter.
I'm thinking of getting a new monitor purely to get rid of this headaches,so what kind of monitor should I search for?

Thanks

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
If smooth motion is your concern then 120Hz would definitely help.
LEDs use direct current so it doesn't refresh like CCFLs do, but CCFL backlighting refreshes as a very very high rate (usually in excess of 200Hz) so there won't be much difference.

One of the major reasons for headaches is actually poor lighting. Too bright of a screen and too dark of a room.

You should turn down the monitor brightness while increasing your room lighting. Warm yellow lighting in the room is softer on the eyes than white.

Try a BenQ XL2410T, its 120Hz and LED.

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Actually my room is brighter than it used to be,but I did play with the monitor's brightness and contrast and cannot remember the old values ><.The defaults are too bright for me.But would changing those values really matter THAT much?

I wonder if it could be some other component? Or Windows 7?(Using directx 10 etc) Or the position of the monitor?

There should be no issues with the monitor if you did not have any problems before upgrading to a new system and a brighter room.

A new system does not change how a monitor operates.

Try lowering the brightness in the room to what it used to be, then adjust the brightness / contrast of the monitor if necessary.

what1234

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
A new system can change everything about how the monitor operates. The old video card could have been running the monitor at 80Hz and the new one might be running it at 60Hz. This is a good possibility of the cause of the complaint. Anything under 72Hz gives me a headache because I can see the flicker. OSHA agrees. Set your screen refresh rate in Display Properties>>Settings>>Advanced>>Monitor to the highest value that both your video card and monitor will cooperate well at.

Also, the new system could be introducing noise into the video signal by any number of means causing all sorts of subtle (or obvious) image problems. Finally, the quality and strength of the signal produced by the video card can vary greatly among cards and manufacturers. Matrox, for example, was well known for producing video cards with very stable images. As we move from analog SVGA cables to digital cables, these things become less a factor... but still a factor.