Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

£500~ Gaming PC Build - Looking for advice on costcutting

  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 11, 2010 6:14:03 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Split into two buys - one within a week, the next at the end of the month (to coincide with paycheck!)
BUDGET RANGE: £500, +/- about £20.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Internet TV streaming, Web surfing, Photo/Image Editing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: All peripherals + graphics card, will be re-using my 8800GT 512mb due to costs. Win7 Home Prem 64bit is desireable, but seems unlikely due to finance. Further info at bottom of post.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Ebuyer or Tekheads (slightly cheaper in areas than ebuyer, but no free shipping unless over £100)

PARTS PREFERENCES: No unlogical preferences, open to any ideas. AMD however seem to be the better CPU option for performance on a budget.

Misc SATA cables, MX-2 Thermal Compound, Case Fans from eBuyer - £21.74

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

RAM: Crucial 4GB(2x2) DDR3 1333MHz Ballistix CL7 7-7-7-24 1.65v

PSU: Arctic Power 700W (22Ax2 on 12v)

OPTIC: Samsung SH223 22x

CASE: Casecom 6788 (toolless optic/HDD bays and cable management trays)

(OPTIONAL) HDD: WD 500GB 7.2k 16MB Caviar Blue


MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 on a 22" LG.


The components as above only come to £475 which is within (below, actually) my budget of about £500. This would however mean re-using my current Hitachi 500GB HDD with Vista 32-bit on it.

What I think I need to consider, with advice from forum-going experts, is potentially dropping my CPU to a Phenom II X3 720 and downgrading the mobo to suit this - this would then allow me to get the listed WD Caviar 500GB and Win7 64bit Home Premium. I'm open to alternatives though.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

More about : 500 gaming build advice costcutting

February 11, 2010 6:55:09 PM

get this cpu instead 955, the 965 is a factory oced 955, you can do that on your comp (just 200mhz more)
your mb of choice is way more then you require, get this one instead: this drops your budget to about 400
psu is important, I know know that firm, I don't recommend it, get this psu instead that puts the build at about 430, sell your current gpu let say for about 25-30 euros, now get this gpu: which should bring you about at 420. of course try to find the parts at lower prices elsewhere
February 11, 2010 6:55:55 PM

about the psu, I meant to say I don't know the firm
Related resources
February 11, 2010 6:57:47 PM

Don't get a 5750. it will not offer preformance gains over ur 8800 to cover the 0$-to 150$ price diffrence.
February 11, 2010 7:14:12 PM

Well, it's 1 levels bellow the cheaper radeon 4850 1gb.
February 11, 2010 7:25:46 PM

builderbobftw said:
Well, it's 1 levels bellow the cheaper radeon 4850 1gb.

cost the same, less power usage, dx11 (either of them is...) the decision is ultimately up to the op.
February 11, 2010 7:31:07 PM

The 4850 is not DX11. It is also much cheaper that the 5750.
February 11, 2010 7:34:29 PM

builderbobftw said:
The 4850 is not DX11. It is also much cheaper that the 5750.

I didn't said it is...
February 11, 2010 7:35:18 PM

"dx11 (either of them is...) "
February 11, 2010 7:41:02 PM

builderbobftw said:
"dx11 (either of them is...) "

you've missed understood me, neither 8800gt and 4850 are dx11, the 5750 is.
February 11, 2010 7:42:54 PM

Ahh ok, but DX 11 isn't worth dealing with the crappy FPS that a 5750 will get you.
February 11, 2010 8:01:55 PM

builderbobftw said:
Ahh ok, but DX 11 isn't worth dealing with the crappy FPS that a 5750 will get you.

so why should he get the 965? it's all about the money.
February 11, 2010 8:07:36 PM

He shouldn't get the 965, he should get a 955 and a 4870/4850 or a 5850 depending on how much he want to sepnd.
February 11, 2010 8:41:25 PM

Cheers for the input, both.

I appreciate the advice on the GFX but in my budget it's just not an option, nothing i'll be playing soon will be DX11 or require more than my 8800GT can give atm. And by the time DX11 goes mainstream i'm hoping to have upgraded the GFX already.

Re the processor and mobo, that looks like a good mb for the price, i think i'll stick with that, although i've also spied a GA-MA785GT-UD3H for about £60 HERE. And given that I really do want Win7 soon I think a good option for me would be to drop the idea of getting a high-end phenom altogether, and get a Athlon II X3 435. This is a big upgrade over my current system, is tweakable, and it means further down the line I can upgrade to a high-end AM3 CPU when I have the cash. Any input people have on if this is a good move would be great!

EDIT: I've been unable to alter the OP with some big changes i've made, so have had to make a new post HERE. If any advice could now be posted there instead that'd be great!