HDMI to DVI source working on other displays, but not on my monitors?

tupacmo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hello there :)

I'm new here, and I was wondering if you guys could help me with a problem...

I have two monitors, a Samsung SyncMaster 2343BWX and a ViewSonic VG2228wm. Both have DVI/VGA inputs. I've used both these monitors before to display content from an HDMI source, with an HDMI->DVI adapter without problems...

However, I just recently acquired a component to hdmi converter, and am trying to use this to connect my Wii to my monitor via HDMI->DVI (convoluted, I know). Now I know every piece in this system works, because I've tested this setup on other monitors as well as an HDTV, both with and without the DVI adapter in place (i.e. direct hdmi connection) and everything works peachy.

What I don't understand is, why doesn't this setup work on either of my monitors? It seems like only this specific combination of items, all confirmed working, fails with both of them. Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Thank you for any help you can provide :)

Does the converter have any settings? It sounds like it is producing a signal that may work on a TV, but does not work with a monitor. For example, I hooked up a DVD player to a monitor, and the default was to use 1080P, but that did not work. I actually get the best picture when it is set to 480P or 720P.