Touch screen Monitor for PC or not?

bigbeefyx1

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I want to build a new desktop PC in about 12 months. I want to choose between Windows 7 and 8 - and I also want to choose a touch screen monitor or not.

What do I need to know or do in order to make this decision? How will I know that touch screen computing is better than mouse/keyboard style to justify buying a more expensive monitor?

Solution
because touch-screens do have good applications such as...

-computers for the mentally or physically disabled.
-computers for use to control equipment
-computers for younger children
-portable laptop/tablet transforming computers
-for artists who draw with a stylus
-for handwriting to text translation softwares
-for presentation work
-many more i havent listed

so yes...there is a need for a good gesture-based simplistic touch-screen version of windows. there should be support for standard interfaces (mouse, keyboard, joystick) for sure but touch should be the primary goal.

this will not be a product the masses will use. the mouse and keyboard still reign supreme in pc control with few exceptions such as presentation handheld remotes...

bigbeefyx1

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I plan on using the computer for programming/software development, graphic design, gaming and web surfing.

Have tried touch on multiple phones, but the phone is in your hand.

I just don't understand how the interface is supposed to work on the desktop? Is a touch monitor supposed to be closer to your body and can it be as far away as a regular LCD screen? Will it force me to keep moving my hand back and forth from the screen to the mouse? I don't understand any pros and cons. Will it be easier than traditional keyboard/mouse? How will keyboard/mouse work with Windows 8?

No, it won't be easier than traditional mouse and keyboard from my experience (Window OS up until now does not really have touch input on the priority list). But I think Window 8 will make it easier to use. The most annoying thing is the amount of time you spend lifting your arms (ergonomically not right), so you probably want it flat on the table, give yourself more arm rest. It is ok if you only makes a few click to access your video for playback. But the one I use for scientific instruments controlling which require frequent user input, it is pain in the a$$ to work with.

for the planned purpose of this computer, touch input would be a big mistake.

the only use i could see for you would be if you liked to brush paint on the computer using a touch interface. but even then, you could get a touch pad to do the same thing and not spend more on a monitor!

because touch-screens do have good applications such as...

-computers for the mentally or physically disabled.
-computers for use to control equipment
-computers for younger children
-portable laptop/tablet transforming computers
-for artists who draw with a stylus
-for handwriting to text translation softwares
-for presentation work
-many more i havent listed

so yes...there is a need for a good gesture-based simplistic touch-screen version of windows. there should be support for standard interfaces (mouse, keyboard, joystick) for sure but touch should be the primary goal.

this will not be a product the masses will use. the mouse and keyboard still reign supreme in pc control with few exceptions such as presentation handheld remotes and sometimes a joystick for games or modelling.

Solution