Purchase a monitor or use an old tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathgod

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
First, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong subsection.

Second, I'm currently in the process of building a new computer for gaming (SWTOR and Starcraft II, in particular). I'm currently in the process of selecting a hybrid between a $600 dollar build featured on this website or this $800 dollar build from a blog from one of the members here. I am hoping I'll meet somewhere around the $650-700 mark, as I can salvage a copy of Windows 7.

Anyways, one big determining factor in my build is whether or not I have to purchase a monitor. I currently am using a Proview RX-326 that was actually a hand-me-down from my parents. While it isn't something I would pick out for myself, I have zero complaints from using it with my xbox via HDMI cables.

My question, would this tv work for gaming? The website I listed for the Proview lists its resolution at 1366x768. Does that mean I would be able to play at that resolution only? Are higher resolutions even possible? Or would it be better to spend a hundred bucks on another monitor, such as this?

Though, after typing that I just noticed that the monitor I listed has the same resolution, so perhaps something different?

I'm not that concerned about the size, as I'm typing this on an 11 inch laptop monitor. Something around 18 would be incredible in comparison. All I desire is sufficient resolution with hopefully no loss in frame rate -- if resolution even has the possibility of affecting that.

What would you guys do if you were on a tight budget trying to save money along the way? New monitor? Reuse tv? Is it even compatible?

Thanks for the help.

Solution
Try hooking your laptop (or another computer) up to the tv and see if you like it. Try using it for at least a couple hours (too see if you get eye strain)

You never know til you try, and it won't cost you anything.

TVs and monitors use essentially the same tech, so it's not a stretch. The big difference is that TVs are meant to be viewed from 5' to 10' while monitors are meant to be viewed from about 18" to 24"

All this means practically is that TVs can get away with larger pixels because they look smaller from a distance.

The other big difference between a TV and a monitor is that TVs have a lot more image adjustment settings. These help "fix" low quality broadcasts, but do little for a computer's perfect uncompressed signal...

That is not a monitor, it is a TV, and there is a BIG difference! No, you will not be able to display higher than 1366x768, and if you sit too close the picture will look blocky.

I say if money is tight use the TV until you can afford a decent 24" monitor.

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Try hooking your laptop (or another computer) up to the tv and see if you like it. Try using it for at least a couple hours (too see if you get eye strain)

You never know til you try, and it won't cost you anything.

TVs and monitors use essentially the same tech, so it's not a stretch. The big difference is that TVs are meant to be viewed from 5' to 10' while monitors are meant to be viewed from about 18" to 24"

All this means practically is that TVs can get away with larger pixels because they look smaller from a distance.

The other big difference between a TV and a monitor is that TVs have a lot more image adjustment settings. These help "fix" low quality broadcasts, but do little for a computer's perfect uncompressed signal. Doing all this processing can add a delay to the image, which can be annoying if you are say, trying to control a mouse; although, there is usually a "game" mode you can go to on a TV to avoid this.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.