Sign in with
Your question

Gaming rig £750-800

Last response: in Systems
November 20, 2009 1:36:25 PM

hey so after originally posting in the PC gaming section following a bit of advice i thought it more appropriate to post here, thanks again skora dunno how i missed this section.

So basically im looking to build a gaming rig thats going to last a good few years in £750 to 800 price range, ideally under £750 would be nice though, heres what ive come up with so far with a lot of help from some guys over at the pc gaming section (heres the link to that thread just in case by the way http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-103450_25_0.html#bas])

Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, HyperThreading, Bloomfield, Retail $279.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4240166&CatId=4074]]

EVGA GeForce GTX 275 Video Card - 896MB, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (dual link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI (w/ Adapter) $259.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4571250&CatId=3775]]

Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048MB), DHX $220.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4307847&CatId=4093]

Asus P6T Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading support $239.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4366643&CatId=4070]]

Western Digital WD7500AADS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 750GB, SATA-3G, 32MB, Intellipower $69.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4762445&CatId=139]

Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case - Black (No PSU) £98.99
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-110-AN&tool=3]]

Not too sure about the psu now...i did originally find this combo deal on newegg

CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail $359.98

but its not available anymore so that sucks and now im starting to have second thoughts about the GPU and nvidia vs ATI....id still rater go with nvidia because of the reliability but the price differences are almost phenomenal especially considering all this gear sums up to about £750 and i dont even have a psu yet =|

any suggestions, recommendations and help would be much appreciated, cheers.

More about : gaming rig 750 800

November 20, 2009 1:44:58 PM

ughhh i left out a couple of things sorry.....im currently keeping my monitor its a 16 inch lcd on which i use a 1280x1024 resolution although i might possibly get a slightly larger monitor in the future and would like to play at higer resolutions, i also plan to get a second gtx 275 to run in SLI in the future (if that is the card i do end up going with)

cheers

EDIT: Again im unsure why all of the links i post dont work in my browser but if you copy and paste them they should work fine, thanks.
November 20, 2009 1:51:08 PM

Get an ATI card. The new ones (57xx, 58xx) are in that price range (from $50 cheaper to $50 more expensive), but hard to find. They basically destroy anything nVidia makes. nVidia cards right now are overpriced and underpowered.

The PSU is slightly over powered. Most XFire/SLI configurations only use 600W, so you could probably step it down to a 750W. Corsair is a good brand though.
Related resources
November 20, 2009 2:09:22 PM

wow fast response lol, cheers, i was looking at the 4890 and although it performs well (especially in Xfire) a lot of people have had issues with it when compared to the gtx 275 i havent read a single bad review also ive had a couple of ATI cards in the past and remember the drivers being terrible...loads of issues which is why im a bit skeptical about ATI cards, also ive seen the GPU benchmarking section and was looking at the 5770 and it doesnt perform aswel as the gtx 275 or the 4890 although the difference is marginal. Ive not had a chance to read up any reviews on it so unsure about the reliability but to be honest id rather pay an extra 80 or 90 dollars for a more stable card.

As for the 58xx i dont have time to look into it now (im allready late for work lol) but couldnt see it in the GPU benchmarking section so not sure as to how it performs compared to the other two and the prices.

cheers
November 20, 2009 8:45:58 PM

hey, so i checked out the HD 5770 and the HD 5870 properly and compared them to the nvidia gtx 275, the HD5770 doesnt perform aswel but is like $100 cheaper (still a bit confused as to why this card doesnt out perform the gtx 275 OR even the 4890 considering its supposed to be a higher model and supports dx11) where as the 5870 is far better than the gtx 275 but is like $150 more and i deffinatley cant afford to go any higher than $260 for a GPU.

Also why are these 5000 series cards so hard to find....the only (reasonably cheap) place i could find them was newegg =|

so im still a bit unsure as to what card to go with....although leaning more towards the gtx 275 having had bad experiences with ATI.....could anyone suggest anything else or help me suss out the pro's and cons of each.

As for the PSU could anyone suggest a good but reasonably cheap 750w (if that is indeed going to be sufficiant to power an SLI or xfire config.

any suggestions at all would really help....i plan on keeping this rig for at least 3 years so i really want to get these parts right before i order them and please bare in mind i dont really want to have to go over £750 and im allready up to around £750 now not including any psu lol :|
November 20, 2009 9:05:36 PM

Hey BB, the links aren't working because you've put the close bracket in front of the link instead of after. OPEN Bracket url=link CLOSE Bracket. Then at the end, is the /url in brackets.

Where are you ordering from? I'll spec out a price specific build from a site you can use. But Newegg and TD don't ship internationally.

As for the build, if you take some time to read my design guide, you'll see what you have is rather unbalanced and much more expensive than you need. I always start builds based on the monitor being used because that drives the GPU needed. Since you're only using a 1280x1024 monitor with possible upgrade, I'm going to suggest a great single GPU to run while using the 1280x1024 but something that will give great performance in CF on a 1920x1080 too later if you do upgrade the monitor.

Reality is, a 275 on a 1280x1024 is more GPU than you can use and its not DX11 making it second chair anyway. I'd suggest a 5770 for you. It will dominate at 1280x1024 and does great when a second one is added at 1920x1080.

Planning to run a pair of 5770s, a corsair 650w PSU is enough. Might be worth getting the 750w though for extra PCIe power connectors so the next build has more options if there's room in the budget. If not, then you'll still have all the power you need for a powerful single GPU in 3-4 years still.

If this is primarily a gaming rig, I'd actually shy away from the X58 platform and go with a P55 instead. The 5770 won't saturate the x8/x8 CF lanes so no point in spending more on the platform that you're not going to need/use anyway. Go for a Gigabyte UD4 or higher or Asus that has x8/x8 CF capability.

Since we have a P55 board, get the i5 750 CPU. Best dollar/performance CPU out there right now. Matches the faster AMD 955 when both are at stock speeds. If you OC the i5 750, it becomes the clear winner.

If you are going to OC, then a Coolermaster Hyper 212 HSF is a great value.

4 gigs of DDR3 ram will be more than enough for gaming. Anything more is a waste. Get at least 1333 mhz and if you can get it at CAS7 or CL7, that's even better. Make sure its 1.65v or less.

If you can get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD, they will do much better performance wise than the Cav green. If you want to be energy conscientious, the green is a good choice.

Don't forget a DVD burner or the OS if you don't have them already.

That should cover it. Once I know what site you're shopping at, I'll make sure it comes in under budget and tweak anything that needs it. Fire any questions away you have.
November 20, 2009 9:19:53 PM

The 5770 is not a high end model. It is the new mid-range model designed to compete with the GTX 260. Its newer, uses less power and runs cooler than the 4870 and GTX 260 but isnt quite as fast yet. Once would hope over the next 6 months they improve the drivers so its performance catches up. Another the nice thing about the 5770 is it uses less power, requires only a single PCIE power cable. Running two of them in crossfire performs about as fast as a $400 5870 and they are in stock everywhere.

The 5850, 5870 and 5970 are the new high end models. They are out of stock due to a combination of manufacturing issues creating supply problems and huge demand. The 5850 is clearly a better price/performance deal than the GTX 275, unless you specifically are playing games with PhysX. The 5850 also has the advantage of DX11, which will improve its graphics speed as more games take advantage of tesselation and better shading.

*edit - I didnt see your resolution. What skora suggests about getting a 5770 now and a second when you increase your monitor makes alot of sense to me.
November 20, 2009 10:16:04 PM

really appreciate the detailed responses thanks a lot for that clarification on the gfx cards...makes a lot more sense now.

and ***! tiger AND newegg dont ship internationally? i cant believe that, what a HUGE slap in the face, i live in the UK and pretty much everywhere else ive seen on the net no where near compares to the prices of these two retailers *sigh* looks like im going to HAVE to downgrade either way unless im missing an equally cheap retailer?....hopefully.

the reason i wanted the gtx 275 is because looking at the benchmarks for games like far cry2 and fear it does incredibly well compared to the top end gpu's while still being considerably cheap and in SLI it even out performs the gtx 295.

Being a gamer FPS is of most concern to me and the 5770 falls just short of what im looking for even on a slightly lower res than what u mentioned (1920x1080 i think) although it does support dx11 which i deffinately wouldnt mind and i really dont want to have to sacrifice the i7 920 cpu having read everything i have about it....it really is quite incredible for the price. I dont plan on overclocking by the way although i may bump up the i7 920 to about 3.00ghz if i were to get it, seeing as it can be OC'd up to 4.00ghz (i dont really want to have to spend additional money on cooling)

I know it may sound silly but basically i want to be able to play pretty much anything maxed out with fps to spare....that way as slightly more demanding games are released i wont have to worry, i also sometimes have other programmes running in the background which can severly effect fps rates.

Not too sure about the resolutions but i do plan on getting around a 22" - 24" monitor in the future so im guessing the res may increase a fair bit. I did briefly read through your design guide this morning but wasnt fully awake and couldnt take in everything properly lol.....ill read through it more thorougly later.

Anyway despite all that i may have to downgrade what i originally wanted regardless seeing as tiger and newegg dont ship internationally because im definitely not going over £800, £750 < ideally

Thanks so much for your help though by the way and if you could put together a build that im looking for in my price range that would be beyond fantastic......im hoping you know a retailer with similar prices to the other two that either ships internationally or is based in the UK otherwise im kinda screwed :( 
November 20, 2009 10:43:23 PM

I dont know UK prices or suppliers. Hopefully we can get someone who does to post some links.

Did you know that a GTX 295 is a dual core 275. They dropped the frequency a bit to keep it cooler, which is why 275s in SLI beat it consistently. The 275 was a great card until the 5850 came out faster at the same price with dx11 as a perk. The 5850 has gone up in price $40 due to the weak supply but its still a better GPU if you can get it IMO.

I know it may sound silly but basically i want to be able to play pretty much anything maxed out with fps to spare.... said:
I know it may sound silly but basically i want to be able to play pretty much anything maxed out with fps to spare....

Its not silly, but it is expensive. There is no single GPU that can max out every game with FPS to spare. Even the mighty 5870 cant claim that about Crysis.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5970,2474...
November 20, 2009 11:40:09 PM

Proximon has links to UK retailers in his parts list linked here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269620-31-list
You can go through all of them an look for the cheapest parts or pick just one you are more comfortable with.

I'm a first person gamer too. Performance is very important to me. And like you, I currently only have a 1280x1024 monitor. I'm using a 4850 512mb and can max everything except Crysis, I have it turned down one notch. All my frame rates are up there and no perception that my GPU isn't powerful enough. Now the 5770 is MORE POWERFUL than the 4850 which is why you will be able to max everything on your current monitor.

To prove my point, here is the Far Cry 2 benchmarks of the 5770. These are at 1650x1050 which will be %17 more demanding than the 1280x1024 you have now.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446...
At 55 fps at 1680x1050 w/ AA, you'll be looking at 63+ on your current monitor. Your monitor can't display anything over 60 anyway, so you're maxing performance. A more powerful GPU won't do any better.

If you're upgrading to a 22"-24" monitor, you'll be playing at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. A single 5770 with AA on will still hit 48 fps, and adding a second in CF puts you well over that 60 fps cap that the monitors generally can display (some can do 75-120, but you really pay for that.) So you'd have your frames to spare with CF 5770s. Since the 5770 is cheaper than the 275 (and prices will come down in the future) and provides more performance than you can use, its a good fit and gets you Dx11. And as dnd mentioned, these drivers will only get better and performance will also creep up.

I know the benches say the other GPUs are better, and they are, but you have to keep in mind what's enough and where more doesn't equal more performance.

To address which CPU to get, look at this. Its the 920 vs the 750 at stock speeds. Both will OC the same, so there shouldn't be any difference with both at 3.0ghz either. Games are at the bottom. i7 is blue on top, i5 is orange.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=47&p2=109
The i5 750 BEATS the i7 920 in all 4 games benchmarked. Why pay more for less performance just for bragging rights?

I'm going to spend a few looking at the sites from Proximons list and price out a system for you. I'll post when I'm done.
November 21, 2009 12:09:18 AM

scan.co.uk seemed to have better prices on the both parts I check out of 5 sites, so I did a full build here. This is what I've come up with.

i5 750 £149 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Core-i5-750-Quad-C...(Lynnfield)-8M-Cache-LGA1156-CPU-Retail

5770 £122 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-XFX-HD5770-PCI-E-20(x16)-1200MHz-GDDR5-GPU-850MHz-Cores-800-2x-DL-DVI-I-HDMI

Gigabyte UD4 (sata3) £148 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Gigabyte-GA-P55A-UD4-USB...

4gb ddr3 1333 ram £89 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-(2x2GB)-Corsair-TwinX-XMS3-DDR3-PC3-10666-(1333)-240-Pin-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24

500gb Spinpoint F3 £36 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/500Gb-Samsung-Spinpoint-...

DVD Burner £16 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Sony-AD-5240S-0B-24x-DVD...

Antec 900-2 Case £87 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Antec-Nine-Hundred-Two-P...

Corsair 650TX £75 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/650W-TX-Corsair-PSU-sing...

Do you need Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit? That's another £80. If you do, maybe doing some shopping will let you get it back down under budget or you can use the DVD drive from the old system or other parts recycled.

Total with shipping was 814 including OS and all parts.
November 21, 2009 12:55:14 AM

yea i may have been exaggerating slightly there, by maxed out i ment the highest detail/texture quality, shadow quality, shaders, bloom + HDR effects, postprocessing quality, all that kind of stuff the game might support (like crysis) but excluding things like anti aliasing and REALLY high resolutions that can dramatically drop the fps rates, though they would be nice...i can live without them
November 21, 2009 1:13:18 AM

hmmm price is kind of high considering you can buy higher end models for about the same price on a couple of those parts from newegg and tiger, i think i shall see if i can find somewhere else a bit cheaper....also would it be possible to build a *balanced* rig around the i7 920 cpu for a similar price (within £800 if possible) and just out of curiosity does either of tigerdirect or newegg ship to canada?

cheers

Edit: sorry, yea i could use windows 7 home premium 64bit aswel although at this moment in time not ENTIRELY essential
November 21, 2009 2:22:07 AM

Both TD and NE have Canadian sites. Check Proximons List of parts in his sig (also linked above) for those sites.

The 5770 will allow you to have all those settings you want with your current monitor and two of them will do the same after a monitor upgrade. It really is a good fit for your situation.

If you do some shopping around, you may find parts cheaper.

As for the i7 920, since we are above budget already on the i5, it would be hard to find more for the CPU, Mobo, and Ram without cutting other areas so much that you're not even close to being balanced. With that being said, the i5 is a better gaming CPU. The benchmarks prove that. Only reason for a X58 system is CF/SLI of two HEAVY GPUs or the need to go to 6 or 8 core CPUs when they come out. Both are overkill for gaming and will be in the $1,000 US range when released.

Once you factor in international shipping, price might not be as far off as you think. I've put together a very good balanced rig for you with a good upgrade path. Without the Win 7, that system was only 735, so under budget. It also had a new mobo with USB 3.0 on it along with the sata 3. Very current board that will be upgradeable for a while.
November 21, 2009 1:44:18 PM

ok so ive checked the benchmarking charts again and that i5 750 is indeed a lot better than i thought it was.....with only a small fps decrease in the sort of games i like to play compared to the i7 920...not even really a noticible amount so yea i dont mind going with that now.

As for the GPU, im still a bit skeptical about that 5770, on its own it just doesnt perform as well as id like to see, also seeing as its a new card and apparently too far ahead of its time along with the rest of the 5000 series, the driver support is supposed to be terrible. Im continually liking the idea of dx11 more and more though however again im still slightly skeptical considering how the differences between dx9 and dx10 were so little.

Do you know how well this card performs in crossfire? maybe if it were to match the gtx 275 in SLI or at least produce similar results that would put my mind at ease.

Also i know u said any memory over 4gb isnt really needed but i want to be able to play things like the half life 2 HD cinematic mod and that requires 4gb minimum so maybe 6 might be better? i dont know.

Im going to have a look around later to see if i can find a cheaper retailer that either ships to the uk or is based in the uk, if not i think the one you found should work quite well ;) 

Again cant thank you enough for all your help, really appreciated :D 
November 21, 2009 2:21:19 PM

I don't have an answer for the GPU question, but you shouldn't up the RAM to 6 GB. To get 6 GB you will essentially be buying a triple channel kit, which will not perform as well on a dual channel board. If you absolutely want to up the RAM, you would need to go to 8 GB to ensure the RAM works at its full capability. You could always start with 4 GB, and if that isn't cutting it, add another 4 GB later.
November 21, 2009 7:27:10 PM

so would the mobo that skora suggested allow for an extra 4gb if needed?.....i couldnt find the max amout of memory that motherboard supported but im guessing it should be at least 8gb, if so then that sounds like a good idea to me, ill see how it runs and if its a bit low could always upgrade to 8gb within a few months.

Also any feedback on the GPU anyone?
November 21, 2009 10:03:21 PM

It supports up to 16 GB. I don't think any of the newer socket motherboards support less than 8 GB.
November 21, 2009 10:16:03 PM

That mobo is an updated P55 with USB 3.0 and sata III on board. Max ram capacity is 16gbs. Worth the extra £15 or so over the early P55 boards.

If you want to see if Dx 11 takes off, you could buy a less expensive GPU for the 1280x1024 like the GTX 260 or 4870. Both are way overpowered and will do well in CF/SLI when you do the monitor upgrade. Or you could buy a new GPU like the 5850 with the monitor and just run 1 on the new monitor that will give the performance you want. By then, the prices should come down some and availability sorted out.
November 22, 2009 7:51:03 PM

sounds good to me, i wont by buying these parts till around xmas time anyway so that at least gives me a bit more time to look into the pro's and cons of each card, will that 650w PSU be enough to power two GPU's though? Also i know you seem to advise against buying the gtx 275 and for which reason i probably wont end up buying it anyway BUT (just in case) will the set up you suggested be able to run one (or two in SLI) just out of curiousity.

If i go with ATI i dont think ill buy anything in the 4000 series it will either be the 5770 and eventually get another in crossfire or the 5850 which falls JUST short (performance wise) of 2x 5770's.

By the way, do you have any idea when we might start seeing games with dx11 capabilities?

cheers.
November 22, 2009 10:05:58 PM

The 650w will be enough for a pair of 5770s. If you get the 275s or 5850, you'll want to get at least a 750w PSU with 4xpcie connections. The mobo will do either CF or SLI.

To me, buying a 4xxx ATI card is the same as buy any nVidia right now. Does a single 5850 have enough performance for you at 1920x1080? If it does and a pair of 5770s do a little better, then you are sure to get more than enough performance from a single 5770 at 1280x1024. I know I seem pretty locked in on this 5770, but it fits your budget and monitor now and can get you great performance with a second later. You'll just have to plan an extra £100 or so when you upgrade your monitor for the second GPU.

Dx11 games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX...
November 24, 2009 6:36:28 PM

Sorry ive not been able to post for a while....been a little busy with work, yeah i definitely see where your coming from about the 5770 though im still unsure as to which card to go for. I admit now im leaning more towards the 5770.....it would help so much if i saw how they performed in crossfire on a reliable benchmark test from this site......for some reason they dont test any of the 5000 series in CF on any of the popular game benchmarks here which is a bit weird.

I guess time will decide, just ONE more question though (i think lol) the 5770 or gtx 275 in CF and SLI will not run too hot will they? i dont really want to have to spend any money on additional cooling having allready spent £90 on a good well cooled case.

Thanks so much for all your help mate.....i think im actually well on my way to ordering these parts which, without your help, would of probably all ended up being completely unbalanced, couldnt of done it without you ;)  cheers.
November 24, 2009 10:38:33 PM

cheers for that website obsidian, proved to be a good read n pretty much provided me with what i needed to know (if it is reliable that is)

while im here i was shown what looks like to be quite a good deal from ebay earlier and was wondering if someone could take a look at it......personally i dont think its going to be as good as what skora suggested but spec wise it looks fairly similar whilst being £100 cheaper so worth a look i suppose, im just not too sure about the case and branding. Heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M9-WIN-7-PC-INTEL-I5-750-1TB-4GB-DDR3-GTX260-896MB_W0QQitemZ380173883003QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopPCs?hash=item588421167b]

Edit: Still cant get the links to work properly lol.....unless i put that close bracket inbetween = and the link i just get this.....

*sigh* you can still copy and paste them though....should work fine, cheers.
November 24, 2009 10:58:11 PM

Just remove all the codes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M9-WIN-7-PC-INTEL-I5-750-1TB-4GB-...

You will get what you pay for.

Notice they dont even mention the power supply? Wonder what cheap underpowered POS they throw in that plastic case?

I love "branded 1TB HDDs". Thats my favorite model! Could get lucky and get an old, slow seagate 7200.10 that never sold because they have firmware problems? (seagates new 7200.12 models are decent drives)

My favorite "branded RAM" too. Some cheap, slow PNY with CAS 10 timing maybe?
November 24, 2009 11:02:04 PM

The problem with buying that is you don't know who made the RAM, GPU, HDD, or anything about the PSU. That means its probably poor quality parts that just have good looking specs. While it might not seem like too much, there was a huge difference in the different brands of DDR3 1333 RAM. Also, there is a huge quality difference in many of the PSU. For the HDD and GPU, it pretty much only affects the failure rates.

Regardless, I think it's worth the extra bit to ensure you have quality parts.

EDIT: Or you can add a title after the url=http://....]TITLE[/url]
November 25, 2009 12:35:54 AM

ok well ill definitely forget about that then lol....i was allready a bit skeptical about the RAM and HD brand oh and the psu they conveniently forgot to mention, thanks for confirming it.

Back to business, about the 5770 and gtx 275 in CF or SLI, i understand that the card temps can rise when in either of these two configurations and was wondering if the stock cooling and the antec case fans would be sufficient, i dont really want to have to spend additional money on cooling when im allready spending £90 on the case (primarily for how well its supposed to keep temps down)

Saying that im still not 100% on what card to go for, im even considering waiting to see what nvidia brings out to compete against ATI's 5000 dx11 series, i admit i prefer nvidia mainly because of their driver reliability but dx11 just sounds too promising to pass up right now.

So as of now its out of the 5770, 5850, gtx 260, gtx275 (any of which id probably end up buying another for SLI or CF in the future) or nvidias competing dx11 cards if it doesnt take them ages to release them, also that guru3d site mentioned the possibility of a new ati card inbetween the 5770 and 5850 with a 256-bit memory which i think would fit perfectly for what i want, any more advice on any of these choices? i just need that little push over the edge on which card to go for lol.

Thanks

Edit: Actually forget the 5850 i cant afford that right now (if i could i would most definitely pick that one)
November 25, 2009 2:12:10 AM

At the top of DNDs or obsidians post, click on bbcode. It will bring up a box of the raw input and you can see how to format the links so they show up correctly.

I think you're on the right track avoiding the bundle. Kudos dnd and MA.

Waiting to see what nVidia does in the first half of 2010 is a completely legitimate strategy to get what you want. The number of games out there for dX11 are low and wont be missing much until then. Not sure how the cash flows for you, but if you plan to do a monitor upgrade and a GPU upgrade when nvidia launches Fermi, you can get away with a budget GPU right now just to make the system work and still play games. You don't have to spend a lot to get good performance at 1280x1024. Like £60 for a GPU and then a budget of £200 when you do the monitor upgrade, you're at the same cost. Who knows what ATI prices will do by then and in prep for nVidias launch, but thats a lot of GPU.

November 25, 2009 10:48:40 AM

First half of 2010? thats a little too long to wait for me, to be honest i think i shall just go with the 5770 for now, its not really expensive and could always swap it for one of nvidias when they eventually come out without wasting too much money, i mean its not a £60 budget card but might aswel pay that extra £60 for a decent card that i would be using for a good 6 or 7 months and who knows....i may even end up keeping it if i like it. Any feedback on the GPU temp question?

cheers.
November 25, 2009 11:22:51 AM

You should be fine on the heat. That case has a lot of fans, and you can always get another for the side.
November 25, 2009 4:59:44 PM

If you are running 5770s you wont have heat issues. If you run twin 275s, you might want to add the one optional side fan, depending on the cooling the 275s have.
November 25, 2009 7:59:28 PM

well in that case i think everythings pretty much been covered and i can order these parts as soon as i get a little extra cash around xmas. To everyone who helped me out in this thread and especially skora for putting together that build and finding the uk site, thank you so much....couldnt of done it without you, truely is appreciated.

cheers.
December 13, 2009 10:46:19 PM

I was looking for the very same thing as blueberry01, and too was tempted with a i7 920 set up... this thread was very useful though, thank you skora. My first system build 4 years ago as an amatuer, I pretty much whacked in the most expensive hardware and got very little performance to price value... I have now decided to buy an almost identical system to the one skora suggested, has cost me just over £800 (windows 7 home premium included) mixture of Dabs and Scan.
i5 750
Radeon HD 5770
Gigabyte UD4 (sata3)
4gb ddr3 1333 ram
500gb Spinpoint
Antec 900-2 Case
Corsair 750TX
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 HSF
I have never overclocked before though, but feel confident enough to try some gentle stuff, with this set up can anyone give me some simple pointers of where to start, i.e. what boundaries to push and to how far without burning it all out? thanks.
!