USB or HDMI connection to VGA monitor?

jhilyer1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hello,
So here's my deal: I have an HP G72 Biscotti laptop with a cracked screen. Sorta works, but not very well. Halfway not there.

We've been using the serial port connection to hook up an old clunky monitor, and that was working fine, until...

...through use and abuse, the serial connector in my laptop is on it's last legs (outputting funny colors, have to fiddle with it, etc).

My question is this: Considering my VERY limited budget, can I buy a cable to go from one of the laptop's USB ports or HDMI connection and run the old monitor from it? I know the real answer would be replace the screen, but I'm looking for a low cost stop-gap measure for now!

Thanks!
- Jim

skaz

Distinguished
If your monitor has a digital input then yes you can easily find an HDMI to (whatever digital input monitor has).

If it only has an analog input then you'd have to buy a converter in order to convert the digital signal to an analog one.

skaz

Distinguished

With your thread title I'm assuming you have a DE-15 connector (VGA) and not a DE-9 connector (Serial port). In order to transmit any video via a digital output like DVI, USB, HDMI, to an analog input like VGA you would need a converter.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HDMI2VGA-Video-Converter-Audio/dp/B003GSAO1S