Monitor flashes once and then turns off, ideas?

acer0169

Distinguished
I have a monitor here I'm trying to fix.

It flashes once for a split second and then restarts. By restarts I mean the blue indicator LED turns off, and back on as if I'm just turning it on for the first time.

The monitor input does actually work because I can see my desktop when it flashes. There are talks online of lowing your brightness if it's capacitors that are shot but this monitor doesn't stay on long enough to get the menu up.

Any ideas what has died on it?

I don't mind a bit of soldering to fix the problem if I know what I need to replace.

Thanks.

skaz

Distinguished
If you are out of warranty and don't mind tinkering...

Open the monitor up. Look for any blown capacitors on the inverter board. Look for caps that have raised tops, typically if its bad you'll see the very center popped open (see top pic below). Record the ratings on the side of the capacitor and the height and diameter of the bad capacitor. Order replacements and replace the bad caps.

NOTE: When removing the bad caps take note of what side is positive and negative. So when replacing you install them in the correct position. The board should have markings for negative but in case not you can always take a few pictures to be safe.

I used badcaps.net to order mine.
Badcaps master list ---> http://badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=26

Example of my old bad caps, two have the center popped open...
5bottomright.jpg

Replaced with new caps...
IMG_0973.jpg

acer0169

Distinguished
Thanks for your reply.

I had a look (before your post actually) and although they haven't popped open like yours, there are two capacitors with domed tops.

I've ordered 6 new ones (might as well replace them all) and fingers crossed it works.

There was some residue on the underside of the board near one of the domed caps, so I'm not sure if it's caused damage to the board or the tiny transistor/chip right next to it.

Should have the caps in a few days (most likely in Jan thinking about it) so will post back if I get it working.

If not, I'll see if I can sell the screen on ebay as a replacement.

acer0169

Distinguished
Unfortunately replacing all of the caps made no difference.

The residue I found must have been the little transistor blowing.

Anyone need a spare 19" screen? ;)