Buy a monitor in USA or UK?

bonoz

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hi all,

I study in the UK and I have a laptop with a docking stations with a VGA port and a display port. My question is simply, should I get a monitor here in USA and take it with me in the suitcase? or should I just get the monitor there in the UK? What would be better for price, quality, and convenience?

Thanks

Generally, prices in the US are more attractive. In your instance you need to evaluate baggage charges. If there are no baggage charges, then buy from the US and take it with you.

BE CAREFUL THAT UK VOLTAGE IS 220 VOLTS! (Compared to 110 volts in the US). Also, there is a slight difference in frequency - 50 Hz in the US Vs 60 Hz in the UK but this will not make much of a difference.

as ubrales stated.... you need to remember that there is a 50hz/60hz difference and a voltage difference. if you can make this work then you might want to take advantage of the prices over here, however, realize that transporting a monitor in a suitcase is going to be a liability. if the monitor gets lost ,damaged or stolen its on you. if you do buy it over here it might be better to ship it to your address overseas right before you leave. sure you might pay high shipping but its insured against damage and it will not be stolen.

After considering all the pros and cons, I think that you will be better off buying it in the UK.

Another option is to just use the laptop. Why an external monitor for short term use?

US merchants are reluctant to ship overseas because of tax implications.

if you do decide to get a monitor in the us...

you could buy it and ship it over yourself but most likely you will be hit with a customs charge because of the value.

some shippers will ship internationally. you just need to find out which ones. customs charges would also apply.