Need Suggestion - Getting Eye Strain From LG LCD Monitor

shedlight

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hi,

I'm a web developer and I've to do programming and reading work on PC almost the whole day. I use LG 17" LCD monitor (Model No:- L177WSB -- it's a worst monitor, I let you know in a while how did I discover it and also looking for your suggestion).

My eyes are getting strains these days, I did many things to get relief like:- lessen the brightness and contrast to the extend, taking rest after sometime, never work on PC on holiday, I'm also using a eye drops but even then I didn't get full relief.

Then It recalled me when I used to work in my last company and I had to work on PC for 8 hrs and I never felt strain in my eyes even once, the monitor was HP 14" LCD (I don't know the model no.) the resolution was cool.

Then I looked the specification of my current monitor LG 17" LCD (Model No:- L177WSB) and found it doesn't have Anti-Glare and Contrast Ratio is also too high :- 5000:1 then I visited to HP website, and looked at the specification of HP Monitor 19" ( Model No:- HP LE1901w) and found it has anti-glare
anti-static features and Contrast ratio is 1000:1 static. Might this was reason that in my last company I felt pain while working on HP monitor.

Now I'm planning to buy HP Monitor 19" ( Model No:- HP LE1901w) but I don't know much about these technical matters so I request you please look at the below LCD monitors specifications and let me know is my guess is correct that I'm getting eyes strain because LG monitor doesn't have Anti-Glare feature and it's contrast is high.

My Current Monitor Specifications
LG Monitor Model No:- L177wsb
Screen Size: 17"
Resolution: 1440x990
Brightness((cd/m2): 250
Contrast Ratio: 5000:1
Response Time(ms): 8
Viewing Angle: 160/160
Color Depth (Number of colors): 16.2M
PixelPitch(): 0.255mm

More Information:- http://www.lg.com/id/it-product/monitor/LG-office-monitor-L177WSB.jsp

The HP Monitor Specifications (Which I'm Planning to buy)
HP Monitor Model No:- HP LE1901w
HP LE1901w 19-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor (NK570AA)
Display size (diagonal): 19 in
Aspect ratio Widescreen (16:10)
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Display pixel: 0.284 mm
Brightness: 250 cd/m²
Contrast ratio: 1000:1 static
View angle: 160° horizontal 160° vertical
Response time: 5 ms
Product color: Black
Tilt and swivel angle: Tilt: - 5° to + 25°
Display features:- anti-glare and anti-static
Plug and play
Language selection
Physical security: Security Lock-Ready

More Information:- http://www8.hp.com/in/en/products/monitors/product-detail.html?oid=3975010

You can find more technical information at HP website like Data Sheets / Documents and Technical Support / Manuals

Regards

Solution
Get an IPS monitor, Dell UltraSharp are great, also if you are using an older onboard video card, a cheap stand-alone video card will improve the colors and clarity.

There is nothing technical that causes eyestrain, it's all based on you. I use a ton of different monitor brands and resolutions, color calibrations, all day, no issues with looking at them all.

An IPS screen-based monitor is nicer to look at, should help you.
Your eyes could be straining because your vision might be changing. Did you have an eye exam recently?

Since the 19" monitor is bigger than your 17" it may help reduce eye strain since everything will be a little bigger. Does a glossy screen cause eye strain? I don't think so, but the cause of and solution for eye strain can vary from person to person.

shedlight

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
First of all thank you so much for replying.

Secondly, yes I got my yes tested and doctor told me that everything was fine, only my eye muscles are getting strain so you need to do less work on PC for some time (which I'm already doing), and you need to look for good quality monitor or shift to Laptop so that your eyes feel relax while working, he assured me that there are monitors out there which have very cool colors and good for eyes but he wasn't sure about the brand.

Thirdly, I'm afraid you didn't answer my question fro technical point of view, I wanted to know is there technical difference between above mentioned LG and HP monitors specification which causes eyes starin if someone works for long time, like :-

LG has :-
Contrast Ratio: 5000:1

whereas HP monitor has :-
Contrast ratio: 1000:1 static
HP also monitor have anti-glare and anti-static features

Do these features are helpful in any way?

I also mentioned above, if you noticed that I used to work on HP monitor 14" which had very light and cool color, that's why It struck to me that might be a monitor is causing a problem.

If you're not sure about these technical matters then it's OK even then I'm thankful to you.

I'll wait and expect reply from some technical person because my main concern about asking question here is to get technical advise.

Get an IPS monitor, Dell UltraSharp are great, also if you are using an older onboard video card, a cheap stand-alone video card will improve the colors and clarity.

There is nothing technical that causes eyestrain, it's all based on you. I use a ton of different monitor brands and resolutions, color calibrations, all day, no issues with looking at them all.

An IPS screen-based monitor is nicer to look at, should help you.

Solution

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
There are many possible causes of eyestrain:

1) You need new glasses (like jaguarskx suggested)
2) The backlight is flickering
3) The text is too small
4) The AR coating is blurring the text (usually only an issue with very high DPI)
5) The text is jittery or unstable, usually caused by using an analog signal

shedlight

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Thank you so much hang-the-9, MagicPants, tigsounds for replying.

After getting your response I kept on searching market for monitor etc..

Unfortunately in my county Dell UltraSharp monitors starts with 20.5" and I think 17" is more than enough for me but still I'm trying.

Can you please tell me how to set low temperature?

Friends, I also need one another suggestion, I'm also looking for Desktop Chiclet Keyboard (soft keys just like laptop has with low key strokes)

It's adjusted by the the proper selection after pressing the menu button. It may say "Picture" and then other buttons select what picture control is being acted on. "Temperature" is one of the choices and may be a set of pre-defined temperature ranges or one selection may allow you to adjust each color individually to obtain the color temperature you like best. It is adjusted against a dark grey background or sometimes white. It will have a slight effect on the "tint" of color pictures so be careful. You may find a reference in your monitor owners guide on the settings that adhere to certain color specifications so they will appear correct when using that specification for photo work. This may not be mentioned if the monitor is not a high-end monitor, in that case you set it to what you think is most accurate for your personal needs.

A "warm" picture will favor reds while a "cool" picture will favor blues and appear brighter than a warm picture.

The pre-defined temperatures may be labeled like: 5000k, 6500k, 7500k, 9300k