£600 approx gaming PC MMO and FPS

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: MMO's specifically Aion maxed, and a decent GPU for any new first person shooters.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Ebuyer, Overclockers, Scan COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD CPU, Decent branded PSU

OVERCLOCKING: Defo on CPU, poss on RAM and GPU

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Prefer not

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680 x 1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This will be my 2nd build, for my cousin. First was using AMD CPU and ATI card, overclocked RAM and CPU. He wants to spend around £600 and he wants his PC to be better than mine lol. The parts i picked out as a rough idea are as follows:

Case Antec 300 £39.99
CPU AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 Retail Boxed Processor £73.74
GPU Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI, HDMI Display Port PCI-E Graphics Card £130.61
PSU - Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail £69.00
Mobo Sapphire PC-AM2RS790GX 790GX Socket AM2+ onboard graphics 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard £78.55
RAM OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory £94.99
HSF Scythe Shuriken Quiet Low Profile Socket 1366, 478, 775, 754, 939, AM2, AM3 Processor Cooler 24.82

Total £511.70 which leaves a few quid spare for an OS and some flashy neon case fans.

Case is pretty much non negotiable as i really like the Antec 300 and i cant see anything beating it for Value. The CPU id like to try and clock to 3.7 and unlock the other 2 cores which i saw that you could do with the right motherboard. GPU....open to suggestions i just picked the current most popular on Ebuyer. The RAM is a concern.. I've gone 1066Mhz as i seem to remember that speed works better with the Phenom 2's....but its been a while and it seems hellish expensive. Should i just stick with the 800 MHz which can be picked up for 35-40 quid?
The PSU is probably overkill going on what i read about the GPU being low draw, but he would like the option to xfire, and id prefer to work with a single rail.

Comments appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edit: Ow yea we got the HDD / Media drives sorted too so just need opinions on the parts above please.
10 answers Last reply
More about 600 approx gaming mmo fps
  1. 39 views and not one suggestion? :s
  2. if u r OC ur CPU i'd go for a quad core. games will eventually take advantage of all cores.
  3. Well thanks for the response at least.
    The idea is i use the mobo / CPU combination to unlock the other 2 cores on the chip...so effectively it will be an OC'd Quad Core.
  4. Bump...still hoping for some advice...
  5. Well....this place has gone downhill eh
  6. also if you sign up at the hexus forums and get >20 posts scan give you free delivery
  7. lol - I see what you were saying over in the UK general section now. A couple of years ago and you would have had at least 100+ replies.
  8. If you are getting a discrete graphics card, get a mobo without onboard video. Drop down to a 400w PSU if you are not going to crossfire.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems