Sign in with
Your question

New PC Tower (£200-£300) Budget

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 3:08:51 PM

Hello there!

I am currently using a PC which has had more than its fair share of problems and to be fair its had a good run and is getting old now. I am currently using a Windows XP era PC, 1.5GB RAM (started with 512). 160GB HDD. P4 Intel 3.0Ghz CPU. The gfx card has been upgraded to a Radeon HD2400 but although this machine is better than it was. I want a new one.

I am looking at spending £200- maybe up too £300 on just a tower. That Is not including the Hard drive as I will carry my old one over for now, also my DVD Writer also.

I am looking for the best PSU,Mobo,CPU case and maybe gfx I can get with my budget. I am happy to use my old ram if it fits until I can purcahse more.

But since I am in a bit of a dilemma.

What is the best I could get using my full budget getting all the items I need baring the HDD and DVD Drives.

And what is the best Mobo,CPU,Case,PSU I can get for £200.

It all seems a bit messy and ive been looking around, I like to play games although I dont play many currently and my PC gets used a lot for music and downloading and does a lot of brain work with extracting huge files.

If you need more info from me to assist me then please ask!

Thanks in advance!

More about : tower 200 300 budget

Anonymous
October 2, 2009 3:13:54 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: £200-£300 within the next few weeks to a month.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Downloading games/movies (heavy amounts). Gaming, Music and Movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, Mouse, headset,speakers, monitor, DVD Drives, Hard Drive.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:Wherever is cheapest / and or reliable. I use eBuyer in past.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Unsure of what brand of CPU, I'm to find out what is best for my type of useage?

OVERCLOCKING: I dont think I would be over clocking, want the PC to last many years.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768, on current monitor but will be upgrading later on.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (a Nice looking case with good ventilation and not too big would be prefered, and I think easy access is a must.
Related resources
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 5:08:14 PM

Board is socket AM2 and the CPU is AM3.
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 5:16:45 PM

I found it futher down that list im guessing its supported then. Thanks. I am so outdated in my knowledge PCI-E was about to come out when I was last "in" with all my computer parts.

I think I will pay more for the case+PSU however as I dont want a cheap PSU. Worth pushing the extra amount for better PSU and case. Might scrap getting a GFX card and investing in a better board if need -be. But since im sure this board will do. Might end up keeping.

A new PC is such a task at deciding to build up.
October 2, 2009 5:27:05 PM

Quote:
I found it futher down that list im guessing its supported then. Thanks. I am so outdated in my knowledge PCI-E was about to come out when I was last "in" with all my computer parts.

I think I will pay more for the case+PSU however as I dont want a cheap PSU. Worth pushing the extra amount for better PSU and case. Might scrap getting a GFX card and investing in a better board if need -be. But since im sure this board will do. Might end up keeping.

A new PC is such a task at deciding to build up.

That case comes with a PSU with 264W on the 12V rails, the maximum 12V power the new system could possible consume would be 160W (61%), so you'll be fine with that cheap PSU, though it's very well possible the PSU from your old system will work with the new one as well.
If you really feel like you need a better PSU, this would be your best option: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120375 £34, that means you'll only have £16 for a case (though cases don't really matter that much.)
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 6:05:28 PM

I am prepared to push budget a little if its well worth it in power or perfomance. I can even strentch to £350-£400 Just it will be another few weeks before purchase. I have a secondary option of just banking the £300 and awaiting until Xmas Eve when Im paid a large amount and could possible have a budget of over £600-£700.

Would you think waiting would be a huge benifit?
October 2, 2009 6:11:36 PM

Quote:
I am prepared to push budget a little if its well worth it in power or perfomance. I can even strentch to £350-£400 Just it will be another few weeks before purchase. I have a secondary option of just banking the £300 and awaiting until Xmas Eve when Im paid a large amount and could possible have a budget of over £600-£700.

Would you think waiting would be a huge benifit?

Yes, 700 pounds will get you a far better system, plus there may be some cheap mid-range HD 5xxx cards available by then.
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 6:15:48 PM

I might wait then, I was hoping I could buy the important bits now and rough it with some basic GFX and SOUND for now saving a wad then going mad on that later.
October 2, 2009 6:30:37 PM

Quote:
I might wait then, I was hoping I could buy the important bits now and rough it with some basic GFX and SOUND for now saving a wad then going mad on that later.

You can get the motherboard, CPU and memory I suggested with an Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU, get a good case (Antec 300 for example) and don't buy a graphics card as of yet (reuse your 2400), then you can buy a better graphics card (HD 4850 or some HD 5xxx series card) and a new hard drive (newer hard drives are faster and quieter) later.
BTW, get a 1440x900 or 1680x1050 monitor as well (should still fit in your budget of 700 pounds.)
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 6:31:30 PM

CUrrent gfx is actually a AGP. so would have to hope for on-board
October 2, 2009 6:34:58 PM

Quote:
CUrrent gfx is actually a AGP. so would have to hope for on-board

There's a Geforce 6100 integrated chip on that motherboard, that shouldn't be too far behind on an AGP 2400.
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 6:36:41 PM

Should be ok then! Is the board pretty future proof? Considering im getting good coverage from a P4 3.0Ghz intel with 1.5gb ram still these days. Am I going to be set for about 5years when fully upgraded? I suppose its time I finally get off the limited AGP cards I can buy @ such extra cost and finally get into PCI-E!
October 2, 2009 6:40:31 PM

You can get much better for your money if you shop around.

ASUS M4N78-AM GeForce 8200 Socket AM2+ - £40.85
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170253

PowerColor HD 4850 PCS 512MB - £74.98
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168023

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition - £91.97
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/AMD-Phenom-II-X3-720-Bla...

OCZ DDR2 Dual Channel CL4 4GB Kit - £46.51
http://www.dabs.com/products/ocz-technology-ocz-ddr2-du...

CoolerMaster Elite 330 Black 460W PSU - £56.49
http://www.dabs.com/products/coolermaster-elite-330-bla...

Total = £310.80 including delivery

dabs and ebuyer both offer free delivery. For scan, you can avail of free delivery if you sign up to a forum called hexus.
October 2, 2009 6:44:34 PM

build said:
You can get much better for your money if you shop around.

ASUS M4N78-AM GeForce 8200 Socket AM2+ - £40.85
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170253

PowerColor HD 4850 PCS 512MB - £74.98
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168023

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition - £91.97
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/AMD-Phenom-II-X3-720-Bla...

OCZ DDR2 Dual Channel CL4 4GB Kit - £46.51
http://www.dabs.com/products/ocz-technology-ocz-ddr2-du...

CoolerMaster Elite 330 Black 460W PSU - £56.49
http://www.dabs.com/products/coolermaster-elite-330-bla...

Total = £310.80 including delivery

dabs and ebuyer both offer free delivery. For scan, you can avail of free delivery if you sign up to a forum called hexus.

Agreed, good build, go for this one, good job on finding that CM330/460W combo...
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 6:45:07 PM

Oh god Im tempted. I dont mind shopping from different stores so long as the service is good!
October 2, 2009 6:50:11 PM

Gulli said:
Agreed, good build, go for this one, good job on finding that CM330/460W combo...

:) 

Quote:
Oh god Im tempted. I dont mind shopping from different stores so long as the service is good!

Yeah they're all good retailers, and best of all they offer free delivery :D 
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 7:52:12 PM

Do I get everything I need to mount the mobo ect? and all the tools, I dont have an anti static wrist band anymore!
October 2, 2009 8:01:37 PM

Yeah all the cables, screws etc. come with the motherboard and case. Don't worry about the wristband, I built my £1000 rig without one :D . Just touch the metal part of the case every so often.
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 8:03:09 PM

What about all the wires such as the jumpers and usb wires...I can do all the cables connecting to a PSU. But im sure a manual with come with the mobo explaining these. Mobo jumper wires are only thing ive never done to date with PC's with slapping parts in! :) 
October 2, 2009 8:04:55 PM

Quote:
What about all the wires such as the jumpers and usb wires...I can do all the cables connecting to a PSU. But im sure a manual with come with the mobo explaining these. Mobo jumper wires are only thing ive never done to date with PC's with slapping parts in! :) 

You are referring to the front panel connectors, the motherboard's manual will tell you how to connect them.
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 8:05:42 PM

Yeah that will be in all those wires that connect to the LEDS for the front of the case.

Its been a while!
October 2, 2009 8:06:14 PM

Yeah there should be a manual. If not, they're easy to find online. I was just as nervous as you when I was trying to build my 1st rig, but trust me when I say it's not as hard as you think ;) 
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 8:06:57 PM

Ive done it all but install a mobo. thats the thing ive only done once.... And i didnt do the front panel wires. couldnt be done as was an old board.
October 2, 2009 8:08:34 PM

At least you have some experience then, I was totally clueless when my parts arrived. It still went smoothly though :D 
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 8:14:11 PM

Just noticed but that gfx card is £70 odd quid, thats a lot of money. Is that a good gfx card?
October 2, 2009 8:20:59 PM

Quote:
Just noticed but that gfx card is £70 odd quid, thats a lot of money. Is that a good gfx card?

Yes, you should buy a 1680x1050 monitor to enjoy it, or a 1440x900 at the least.

The manual's of the three ASUS motherboards I worked with have always had a section on the front panel cables.
October 2, 2009 8:25:40 PM

^+1

It's actually a slight overkill for your current resolution. But if your planning to buy a new monitor, it's definitely a must.
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 8:45:28 PM

I am wanting to get a nice monitor later on yes. I only had a 17" one at the moment and im wanting a 19" Wide screen at least :) 
October 2, 2009 8:47:19 PM

Then your all set :) 
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 8:49:44 PM

The board listed takes up to 16GB 8GB per RAM SLOT correct? It only has 2 RAM Slots?
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 8:50:48 PM

Never lets me edit my post, forgot about my OS and.... Maybe a new HDD would be ideal since my current one uses old IDE and not the faster SATA II's.
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 8:52:16 PM

Ah another post, maybe it would be best for me to rough it with onboard gfx and get a hard drive until I can get a nice big GFX card sometime later. Im talking quite a beasty one if I can.

October 2, 2009 9:02:27 PM

If you don't have enough money for an OS, then yeah you should scrap the graphics for now. That mobo I listed has good onboard graphics, but you won't be able to do much gaming until you buy a graphics card.

If by a beastly graphics card, you mean something along the lines of an ATI 4890 or GTX 275, you will need a larger power supply. 550W at least.

As for the RAM, I think it's 8GB max. You won't need more than 4GB though.
October 2, 2009 9:36:57 PM

Editing doesn't work, but quick-editing does.

Just buy the list "build" gave you, then you can still buy a new hard drive OS (for now just reuse your current OS) and a monitor later and stay under your $700 mark.

BTW, internet-savvy people know that there are cheaper ways to "acquire" an OS than paying full premium for it in a store, if you catch my drift...
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 11:06:57 PM

I think I will get a copy of Vista but thats another mission!

as Far as my games go I played a bit of Counter Strike and Rome Total War. I dont need a huge gfx card, but something with a nice bite. Maybe around the £100 mark later on. Rome Total War with a few mods installed is probably all I'm going to be trying on this PC until I get the upgrade. And current HD2400 Manages. On board isnt far off my current card?
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 11:09:18 PM

Im after a good HDD that is about 1TB to 1.5 TB. Reliability first, and speed 2nd. Budget is about price of the gfx card listed above.
Anonymous
October 2, 2009 11:18:04 PM

Thanks a lot! A good 1TB one as well incase I have to chop some dollahs down? :) 

Seagate are the way forward? I always hear they promise reliable but that most people have seagates I know of complain of disk failure.
October 2, 2009 11:24:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot! A good 1TB one as well incase I have to chop some dollahs down? :) 

Seagate are the way forward? I always hear they promise reliable but that most people have seagates I know of complain of disk failure.

Hard drives hardly ever fail, especially not in DIY systems with good air flow and ventilation, so you're gonna need statistics, not individual stories, to judge a hard drive.
Anonymous
October 3, 2009 9:44:13 AM

Yeah im also going to need more than stock cooling and fans but that is something i will get later with my new gfx card. Im not that worried about needing a more powerful PSU later than my current, I will use the PSU here for my old comp which is using a really old PSU.
October 3, 2009 1:03:26 PM

why do you ppl recommend a nvidia based mb? they are crap.
if you can muster another 15 euros, take this mb: EXDISPLAY ASUS M4A78-VM 780G Socket AM2+ HDMI DVI VGA 8 Channel Audio MATX
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174867
Anonymous
October 3, 2009 1:07:22 PM

The board you listed is £2 more...
Anonymous
October 3, 2009 1:20:15 PM

What would be the ideal copy of Vista I would need for this build? Whats the best one? Ive used Vista on a laptop and thought it was horrible.
October 3, 2009 3:18:46 PM

Quote:
What would be the ideal copy of Vista I would need for this build? Whats the best one? Ive used Vista on a laptop and thought it was horrible.

It'll work better on your new rig, you'll need a 64bit version, I'd say pro, but Win7 will be better than Vista, so if you're gonna pay full premium for your OS make sure you buy Win7 or Vista with a Win7 upgrade coupon.
Anonymous
October 3, 2009 5:06:38 PM

that is a very wise tip. thanks:) 
Anonymous
October 4, 2009 9:36:08 AM

I might have to invest, or hold out without gfx for the OS. Gotta get my core parts bought first. What do you guys think then. That ex Display board is better than the one mentioned with the Nvidia chipset? Its only £2 more. And Im unsure what the perks are apart frm just a better chipset (which I dont know what that will improve)
Anonymous
October 4, 2009 10:27:22 AM

Oh I have another question. Am I right in guessing you get stock cooling included? As long as thats included I dont mind using stock cooling until I can get myself some flashy fans :) 
!