Is my monitor a full HD 1080p monitor?

rambowski

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
The two monitors that I have hooked up to my computer via DVI cables is:

http://23inchlcd1080ptv.bestbuyonline365.com/hp-2509m-25-inch-diagonal-full-hd-lcd-monitor-black/

In the link above, it clearly says its full HD yet the difference between watching MKV movies on my computer vs watching MKV movies on my 60" Sharp Aquos is staggering.

My TV:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC60LE830U-Quattron-60-inch-LED-LCD/dp/B004NOVLTI

Sorry if this is too newb of a question. Avatar (mkv download) looks okay on my 23" 1080 computer monitor but that same file looks AMAZING on my 1080p Sharp. I really thought the quality would be identical for both the 23" HP monitor and the 60" Sharp since they were both 1080p. So is there supposed to be a difference between "1080p computer monitor" and "1080p LCD TV"???

Thank you very much in advance, guys and gals!

I was expecting hte 23" monitor to have better quality because of higher DPI.

Well, can you upload a video of the screen where both screen looks the same size (so you are filming the two screen at different distance, closer for the smaller monitor and further for the larger monitor?)

It basically boils down to the quality of the LCD panel used in each product. The HP uses an inexpensive TN panel which is adequate for most people's general usage. It's colors are generated using a combination of Red, Green and Blue (RGB) to make all the colors in the rainbow.

The Aquos HDTV sole purpose is to display video rather than just simple general usage. It also uses a more premium quality LCD panel than your run-of-the-mill TN panel that are found in most inexpensive monitors. Not sure exactly what type of LCD panel the Aquos uses, but I know it's not a cheap TN panel. In addition to using RGB, the Aquos throws in Yellow to help enhance the colors. Known as Sharp's proprietary Quattron quad-pixel technology. Does it really enhance the colors? I don't know since I never done any research or seen a side by side comparison.

Additionally, 120Hz HDTVs does some video processing where it creates a interpolated frame in between every two actual frames to improve smoothness and to enhance details. If you switch it to 60Hz mode, then this video processing is skipped. Also note, that a 120Hz HDTV is not the same as a 120Hz monitor. A 120Hz HDTV only accepts 60Hz video input.