Best gaming monitor for under $400

wildest_jjk

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Hey guys I have finally decided to go with dual monitors. But I was wondering what monitor you guys would recommend to buy for under $400.

Thanks!

What exactly are you looking for in an ideal gaming monitor for $400 at most?

Basically, you will be able to buy a monitor with either an e-IPS panel or a TN panel, and either LED backlight or the more traditional CCFL (Florescent) backlight.

e-IPS panels:
+ Better viewing angles and less color shifting than TN panels
+ Fewer color banding issues than TN panels
+ Competitively priced against TN panels
- Slower response times of 8ms

TN panels:
+ Basically more affordable
+ Fast response times as low as 2ms
+ Generally lower input lag
+ Preferred by most gamers
- Narrow viewing angles which affects color shifting
- Higher chances of color banding issues when displaying fine color gradients.

LED backlight:
+ Uses less power
+ Thinner lighter monitor
- Edge lit which means higher chances of poor backlight uniformity
- Some LED backlight monitors have bluish color tones. This is due to using blue LEDs with yellowish phosphorous coating to imitate white

CCFL Backlight:
+ Full array backlight; backlight spans the entire back of the panel. Generally means better backlight uniformity compared to LED backlight, but can still suffer from backlight uniformity issues
- Consumes more power than LED backlight
- Heavier than LED backlight monitors

shears

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I just want to say, and because no one responded yet, that this is a very nice and concise list of information for those shopping for a good monitor.

Thank you for this.

best-gaming-monitor

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Rather than point out anything specific, I'm just going to suggest where to look. Since your budget is $400, then I would suggest you go with a 27" model from either ASUS or ViewSonic. You really can't go wrong with either of these two companies. They make some of the best displays in the industry.

If you'd rather go with an IPS then you'll have to drop your screen size, as IPS displays are several hundred dollars more than TN panels. It's really quite unnecessary unless viewing angles are an issue for you. TN panels can be just as accurate color-wise as IPS displays if they're calibrated properly. Only problem is most people don't have the equipment to calibrate their monitors at home. We do have calibration profiles on our site however, so check it out if you happen to pick one up that we reviewed.

Dell is well known for making great IPS displays. They are reasonably accurate right out of the box. Just keep in mind a 24" IPS display will run you about $500.

One other solution is to go with an MVA panel. Great color accuracy and great viewing angles. Response times are good too. Check out the ASUS ML249H for this.

Andy H.