AgentSquishy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I just bought this monitor and have been liking it so far. However, I have noticed light coming through from the bottom and it is very noticeable during a black screen. I looked it up and found out that it is due to being edge lit. Is this something that occurs in most led monitors? Is it something that could be decreased if I exchanged it for the same model?

Also, is this monitor good for gaming? As I was searching I saw a few opinions that indicated this was a bad monitor for gaming. I have only been able to play LoL so far but it has been doing great.

Yep. The bleeding is due to edge lighting and I believe is it common enough to occur. All monitor regardless of how it is backlit does suffer some degree of backlight bleeding with a black background.

Most gamers say it is bad for gaming because they want a 2ms response time monitor. It appears the LG IPS236V has 6ms response time so that is fine.

Here's a short review:

http://www.digitalversus.com/lg-flatron-ips226v-p357_10200_35.html

AgentSquishy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Has anyone downloaded digitalversus's color calibration? It seems the only thing that bothers me on that review is that the deltaE cimbs over 3.0. I manual changed it, but it made my screen look to red. I want to try their calibration, but I don't know if it's any good.

Also they don't have my exact model. I have been referred to that review a few times, but no one has been able to confirm that it is the exact same monitor with a bigger screen. I have googled and I cannot find it anywhere unless I completely missed it while reading a few articles.

BADGJ31

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
They don't have the IPS236V listed on the color calibration list yet. I'll be having my IPS226V screen arrive today and plan to use digitalversus' calibration file, so I can tell you how that one looks this evening.

I think the general assumption right now is that the IPS226V is using the LM215WF3-SLC1 screen. It looks like the IPS236V uses the panel LM230WF3-???? which may be similar to the one used in the NEC EA232WMi. Maybe find a color calibration profile for the NEC or the IPS226V and see which one you like better?

AgentSquishy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Thanks, that would be awesome if you could!

What determines input lag? Is it the panel itself? If it is, I looked up the input lag of that NEC monitor and it had a lower input lag than the Dell U2311H.

jrocks

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Slightly off topic but I have an issue with this monitor. Or more so, using this monitor. I literally just bought it,set it up, plugged everything in and turned it on. The 'LG IPS' logo appears for a split second then the screen goes black. Nothing is displayed, I can't access any of the menu's or source selection via the front touch buttons. The only thing I can apparently do with this thing is turn it on and off. Is this dysfunctional or is it a user error?

Edit: I should also write that my mac and pc laptop recognize the device.

SpecialTater

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Assuming that you are right about the pabel, it looks like the IPS236V uses the BETTER panel of the two because it uses the 8-bit (16 million color) LVDS as opposed to 6-bit used by the IPS226V.

I hope you're right 'cause I'm expecting the IPS236V to be delivered today!