High quality monitor *without shimmering anti-glare coating*

iliyan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
My 5 year old ViewSonic VP2030b is slowly dying in front of me and I urgently need to replace it. I love Dell's 24" UltraSharp monitor series - and I have a 2408WFP at work and it's just perfect for me.

However 2408WFP is too old and the current model is U2410. Unfortunately, U2410 uses the new IPS panels that have a coating which literally hurts my eyes - with bright colors (especially when looking black text on white background) I see this shimmering effect, like tiny diamonds or dirt. It's really painful! 2408WFP has a PVA panel, which doesn't have this problem at all, and it's surface also pretty diffuse.

My question is, which non shimmering monitor would you recommend buying? Ideally it should be in the price and quality range of the U2410. I don't care too much whether is't IPS or PVA, but it has to have height adjustment.

Thanks a lot!!

well a p-ips, h-ips or s-ips panel is a better quality panel then e-ips or va. personally i always stick with the higher end models.

sorry to hear your monitor is dying. my vp201b which is just a bit older than yours is still going strong. its an ips type. the matte finish is definitely better than some newer monitors with the shiny coating.

i'm guessing that the coating you are referring to is the one they put on monitors to make them seem more vibrant. the screens often look "shiny" and show quite alot of glare. perhaps what you should look for is a monitor which has a matte finish. websites might not list this and a visit to your local stores may be in order.

Generally speaking, if you want to avoid shimmering anti-glare coatings, then you would need to avoid IPS panels unless you find one that has a glossy finish instead of a matte finish. The 27" Apple Cinema and "Thunderbolt" Displays are examples of glossy IPS panel monitors. I think "Thunderbolt" displays requires a Mac with "Thunderbolt" enabled capabilities though.

However, those displays only have a mini-displayport connection. Therefore, if your video card has a displayport, then all you need to do is buy a displayport to mini-displayport adapter for around $10 - $15. But if your video does not have a displayport, then you will need to buy a dual link DVI to mini-displayport converter which will cost you around $120 - $130.

@jag

my vp201b is a matte finish IPS panel and i have never noticed any "shimmering". it is just dull, flat, without any sort of visible coating on it at all.

i know someone who just bought a vp monitor 2 years ago and it is the same way. no shimmering.

perhaps only a few companies/models have an "anti glare coating"