10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hi everyone...

Basically, I can't tell if my ASUS VG236H monitor has a dead or stuck pixel. There's always this blue pixel, and it always stays blue regardless of the ;picture. Except, when there is a pure white background, the pixel changes to the color white, and back to blue when I change the background color.

Like I said, I'm not sure but think this is a stuck pixel? If it's that I was gonna try that UDPixel 2.0 thing, but I'm not sure if I should because something like that seems like it could cause a burn-in since the rest of my screen remains the same image. I've tried the tapping, slight pressure, etc., and it hasn't solved my problem.

Basically this is all leading to me challenging ASUS and their warranty. I know that ISO standard of the bright dot/dark dot ratio is the norm, but for a monitor that I paid $500 for, it's just ridiculous, sinc I've also owned it for only 6 months the latest. On a side note too, do those ASUS certified repair centers on their site only repair notebooks? Or is there the chance my local repair shop is an ASUS certified technician? Being who I am, the blue dot really stands out to me, especially with all the blackness in games :sarcastic:

If you care that much about the terminology, have a look at the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_pixel

As far as burn-in, LCDs aren't susceptible to that the same way some CRTs and Plasmas are. You can get something called "image persistence", which at first glance might look like burn-in, but usually goes away if you leave the monitor off for a few hours. As far as your defective blue subpixel, it's rare for one to appear after owning the monitor for several months (usually dead/stuck pixels come that way initially), but if it did, that may mean there's a better chance of being able to fix it with UDPixel. I don't think UDPixel will void your warranty or anything, so you can try it first, then call to find out if your local repair shop is Asus certified. However, there's a good chance that it will require replacement of the panel, rather than repair.

It's a stuck pixel.

It is possible that UDPixel can correct the issue. You may need to let it run for a few or several hours.

It is not possible to repair a stuck pixel without having to replace the entire LCD panel since the blue sub-pixel is embedded in the LCD panel itself.

While it can be annoying, you may just have to live with it unless you want to buy a new monitor. Just remember that a LCD panel is actually made up of a lot of tiny little parts like the sub-pixels. There is a sub-pixel for each primary color (Red, Green, Blue) since your monitor's resolution is 1920 x 1080 that means that there are 6,220,800 sub-pixels in your monitor. That excludes a whole lot of other things in a LCD panel. That's why the return policy for a replacement is generally at least 5 dead or stuck pixels.

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah, reading the wiki article again made it click that it was a stuck pixel since I'm only seeing blue and not red/green. I tried the UDPixel for an hour and a half and might give it another go for 3 or so hours later and see.

I was gonna try the JScreenFix, but I guess now they charge. But honestly it seems fishy they would charge you $2, get your card on record, and allow you to refund youself via a "Refundware" program they also own. Unless any of you can assure me of that, I probably won't try that and stay with UDPixel.