nastymat

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I have to build a machine for my Mum and the budget is £500 (inc vat). Her main application for it will be surfing/word processor/excel/publisher/printing etc so it does not have to be a power house of fps!

So.. in short will a mobo with onboard gpu be a better option than seperates? It will be powering a 24inch monitor so it has to be fairly meaty. Any suggestions on a decent mobo for that?

p00p00head

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I disagree about the 790gx suggestion. While it is the undisputed onboard GPU champ, most 790gx boards run around $100-$120 USD. That's money wasted when considering what this person's mom is going to be using the computer for. I would suggest the 780g, as it is more than enough power for what she'll be doing.

On that note, she might even be better off with a g31 based mobo + a cheap intel CPU. I just built a system for my aunt and she was looking for exactly the same things that your mom's looking for. I ended up getting her the following:

AMD Athlon X2 4850e (low power draw, 45 watts) ~$70
Biostar 780g Motherboard ~$50
$2 gb DDR2 6400 RAM ~$15
Antec Earthwatts 430W PSU ~$20(sale price)
160gb HDD ~$40
DVD+RW ~$20
Antec Sonata case ~$70

Total ~$300

Not bad considering I tested Counter Strike Source on it and got playable (30-50FPS) on med/high settings. I doubt your mother would play graphics intensive games but it shows you that you don't have to spend a fortune to build a gaming rig, let alone one that doesn't play games.

I highly recommend this setup to anyone that needs to build their parents/older relatives a new computer as it is the most cost efficient/power efficient build that I could come up with and I did a TON, A TON of research.

Edit:
You might have trouble finding the suggested PSU at that price, a 380 earthwatt Antec can be had for $20 though and that's still more than enough. If you want more power for gaming/graphics design later down the road, I suggest a HD 4670 graphics card. If you want to go with Intel, I'd recommend the E5200 with a G31 based motherboard. Finally, the case I got is a bit of a luxury item(my aunt wanted it to be completely inaudible) so a cheaper case is probably the better way to go. None of the items I listed make any noise anyways...

nastymat

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
cheers for the info.

The thing is my Mum wants to spend the £500... so.. how about the ig45 with onboard vga? I'd go to a q6600 or e8500 with the saving on the gpu.

p00p00head

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I don't really understand why your mom would insist on paying more when she's not going to notice any performance difference or take advantage of the more powerful cpu. It seems like needless spending considering you seriously won't notice a significant difference in speed for apps.

If you're not going to go with a separate GPU, the 780g + AMD CPU will be much more versatile than the q6600/e8500 with the onboard on the ig45. Here's a pretty thorough review of the motherboards http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3430&p=14

Pretty much, the 780g beats the g45 in most respects. The only downside is you get stuck with an AMD as opposed to an Intel but if you weigh the overall performance of the two mobo/cpu combos without a discreet video card, the AMD/780g curb stomps the g45 + Intel CPU.

Tell your mom to save the money or pocket the saved money yourself and go buy your mom a nice dinner or something...