24" monitor sutiable for use with ps3

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
ok so im looking for a monitor with hdmi input as well as dvi or two hdmi is fine also, i dont mind. only thing i do require is a way to take the hdmi audio of the ps and pass it into the line in of my pc soundcard to then run it through my surround sound speakers....... if you guys know an easier way then im all ears but i dont want to change sound card or buy new speakers as my pc is already only a couple of months old.

size 24"
resolution 1080P
response time 5 ms or below please
budget 150-200 quid
branding is any really
back light LED only please!
stand functions, any
wall mount 100mm or 75mm vesa please.

i have had a good look around but cant seem to find any monitors which fit this description? perhaps a tv would be more sutiable? hmmmmmm :/

I'm not sure why you insist on LED backlighting, you should know that quoted response times are often misleading, and I would think the line-in of your sound card would limit you to stereo audio, making it confusing to me that you'd then hook it up to a surround sound system. Since you specify your budget in quid, I presume you're in the UK, so I suggest the Asus VE248H, available for £142.45 here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/747880-REG/ASUS_VE248H_VE248H_24_LED_Backlit.html
(price on page is lower than listed on Google Shopping UK, so I'm guessing the price on the page excludes VAT and the £142.45 includes it)

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
i get the impression everything i thought i knew about screens is null?

also for the sound how else could I do it? :/ that was the only way i could think of to get the sound from the ps to speakers.

If you want to understand more about the screens, I suggest you read some of the technology articles here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles.htm (especially the one that explains the different panel technologies and the one about LED backlighting)

If you're using the same speakers for audio from your computer, that could make things difficult (since the speakers may not have any spare inputs for connecting the audio from the ps3), but to actually transmit surround sound, I think you need one of the following:
1. 3 or more stereo audio cables (3 for 5.1 surround, 4 for 7.1 surround, etc.)
2. S/PDIF over coaxial
3. S/PDIF over Toslink
(there might be other ways, but I'm not enough of an audiophile to know about them - I haven't bothered going past stereo speakers)

esaglik

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
perhaps a splitter for each of the three cables running to an optical decoder unit from the ps3? and also does your reccomendation of that monitor still stand?

If LED backlighting is your priority, or you plan to use a separate audio decoder, the VE248H should be fine. If you're willing to forgo the LED backlight, but still want the surround sound, the Asus 24T1E has optical (aka Toslink) S/PDIF output, and I found it for £176.97 inc. vat here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170089
If you want both, you may have to stretch your budget to something like the Samsung FX2490HD - best price I see for it is £264.02