Best 24in Gaming monitor TN panel

sellavi

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Guys I need to find the best gaming monitor ....use for gaming only. 24in please. whats the best ultimate monitor out there for this purpose... I wanna get it for father's day. :)

sellavi

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
thanks for the help Mauvecloud... here is the template. :)

Approximate Purchase Date: (June 10th)

Budget Range: ($300 might go $400) Before Rebates

Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: ( gaming, surfing the internet)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ( newegg.com, ncix.com any other websites you guys recommend within the united states)

Country of Origin: (United States)

Brand Preferences: (Asus,Samsung...or any other brand names you guys recomend)

Physical Size (Diagonal): (24 inch Might go 27 but for gaming I think 24 its best size for now)

Resolution(s) You'll Consider: (, 1920x1080, 1920x1200, 2560x1440, 2560x1600 do Games even go over 1920x1200??)

Computers and Other Devices To Attach: (Computer only through HDMI contection)

Panel Type(s) Desired: : (TN)

LED Backlight: I dont know much about this I neeed to make a research.. whats the difference?? I guess I preffer CCFL?? )

Speakers: Avoided I never liked built in speakers... I always buy external

Wall-Mount: Avoided

Stand Functions: ( tilt, swivel)

Additional Comments: ( I want low input lag)

Certainly any recent games - Bit-Tech regularly runs games at 2560x1600 when testing video cards, and with multiple-monitor setups, it's possible to go even higher. Older games like Diablo II or KOTOR1 are more limited resolution.

I suggest the Asus MS246H:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/112857/ASUS-MS246H-236-LCD-Monitor/
TFT Central measured the average input lag at 6.9ms average, only beaten (among monitors that TFT Central has tested) by the BenQ XL2410T with 5.6ms average in Instant Mode, but that monitor shows a bit more ghosting in the response time images, and its 120hz capability is probably only available over dual-link DVI, which won't help you if your video card only has HDMI output.

sellavi

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
wow.... thanks for the help MauveCloud. After doing a little more reasearch you made my decision a lot easier . the monitor you recomended is the ony i was looking for. Im getting it A.S.A.P thanks again.

sellavi

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
no luck :( I tried every single website and they all reply with out of stock discontinued.

Is there anything else you might recomend mauve? around $400 or less, 1920x1080 res,TN panel since it is for gaming. 23" doesnt have to be 24" if 23 monitors support 1920x1080 resolution.

How about the Asus VK246H or VW246H? Both are the same monitor, but the "VK" has a built-in webcam. The average input lag is 1.65ms as tested in the following Prad.de review. Lowest measured input lag is 0ms and the highest peaked at 31ms.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-asus-vk246h-part12.html#Lag

Here is my modified review of the VK246H. My original was posted back in Dec 2008/Jan 2009. I don't really use it for gaming, just to monitor some processes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/58336-3-official-flat-panel-monitor-reviews-thread

sellavi

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
yeah I read you VK246H review jaguar... thats is a very good monitor for the money. another question are H-IPS monitors good for gaming? I know there is going to be a huge difference in input lag but... what would be a good monitor to have when asssassins creed 2 comes out?.

The positives of S-IPS and H-IPS monitors are good color accuracy and good viewing angles (less color shifting). Professional level IPS panel monitors excel in color accuracy and consistent color tone uniformity across the screen.

IPS panels monitors are good for gaming, but that segment is still dominated by TN panel monitors because of very low response times and very low input lag. They are also very inexpensive. The combination of all those three things make TN panel monitor an excellent choice for games in general. However, they suffer in color accuracy, viewing angles and in my experience seem to be more prone to backlight bleeding which leads to inconsistent colors in certain parts of the screen.

I think the HP ZR24W would be a good choice for a gaming IPS monitor and costs around $400 - $450. Here's the review:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

Here it is for $404 @ Overstock:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/HP-Performance-ZR24W-24-LCD-Monitor/4818822/product.html?cid=123620

I'm not that big on 3D effects. The 1st 3D movie I saw was Avatar at a Sony IMAX theater and the 3D effects wore off on me in about 15 minutes.

Based on the reviews of the Asus monitor, people generally seem happy about it. The only complaints have been about dead pixels, but even an expensive professional level IPS monitor can have dead pixels. The difference is that those professional monitor generally have a "Zero Dead Pixel" return policy since they generally cost in the thousands of dollars.

Is 3D for you? That's for you to decide. As an analogy, if you really like watching 3D movies, then chances are you will enjoy 3D gaming. If you have an AMD/ATI card, then just be aware that setting it up for 3D is a bit more difficult than with an nVidia card and you will need to buy 3rd party drivers for it.

Gaming in 3D will also need a powerful enough video card as well since you will take a performance it.

Based on comments of 120Hz PC monitors owners they say even if you do not use a 120Hz monitor for 3D, gaming is a lot smoother since up to 120 frames per second can be displayed if your video card is powerful enough. Just to clarify, that is not my opinion.