22-24" Monitor for ~£100-£200

wildpluckings

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I am looking for a monitor for my brother and have found the following:

BenQ G2420HDBL, 24", £139.99 @ play.com

I was wondering if there were any other monitors in the £100-200 range worth considering?

It will be used for a lot of gaming so if there are monitors with significantly greater response time within the price range then please advise! If it costs around £200/an extra £60 would it justify the extra cost?

Thanks

You should allow more time - this isn't a super-active subforum, as you might have noticed if you had looked at the date of the last thread on the first page. Also, it would help if you filled in the template: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/59847-3-template-monitor-advice

I'm not sure whether BenQ is really a good brand, but the specs look about normal for that price range. A 120hz monitor might quote a better response time, but I'm doubtful the difference would be that obvious in actual use. A 23 inch e-IPS monitor like the LG IPS236V-PN or Dell U2311H can be found for a little over £200, but if it's used for gaming rather than photo/video editing, it might not be worth bothering.

wildpluckings

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Ok thanks. A colour accurate IPS/design grade monitor won't be necessary. It will be used for gaming, office applications, watching TV shows and web browsing. I considered 120hz models but they are new technology and without investing in extra 3D peripherals I don't feel they warrant the extra price.

I wonder if there are Samsung/Dell/LG 24" TN LCD/LED displays in the £100-200 range comparable to the BenQ one I've found?

If you want an LED backlight from one of those brands, you could consider the following models:
Samsung BX2431
Samsung BX2450L LED
Samsung BX2440 LED
Dell ST2420L
Samsung BX2450

If you don't insist on the LED backlight, look at these:
Samsung B2430L
LG Flatron W2443T
LG Flatron W2453V
Samsung 2494LW
LG Flatron W2453TQ
Samsung P2450H
LG Flatron W2442PA-BF
Samsung 2494HS

wildpluckings

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Thanks, this list will keep me busy! I don't insist on LED backlight at all, the benefits as far as I understand are less power consumption and a thinner design. I don't know how much the "wider color gamut"/superior dynamic contrast of LED technology will affect monitors in this price range but I wouldn't have thought it was anything significant.

In light of this would you recommend I go non-LED for better price/performance?

Only RGB LEDs, which drive the cost WAY up, offer wider color gamut. Most budget monitors use a blue LED with a yellow phoshphor to simulate white, sometime called White LED or W-LED, which actually provides a narrower color gamut compared to a monitor with CCFL backlight. LED backlights do generally allow a thinner design, but a recent article here at Tom's Hardware showed they may not have much advantage when it comes to power consumption:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ccfl-led-backlight,2930.html
W-LED-backlit monitors used to be more expensive than CCFL-backlit monitors, but they've come down in price over the last month. If you're not picky about color accuracy (W-LED-backlit monitors sometimes have a blue tinge to the colors), my current suggestion would be to ignore which backlight type the monitors have and choose one that looks good in other details.

wildpluckings

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Since I have always had a good experience with Samsung monitors in the past, I can narrow this down to the samsung ones you listed. I'm really having trouble deciding which one to get from there. Which would offer the best gaming performance for ~£200? Sorry I feel slightly overwhelmed by the options still haha.

wildpluckings

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I decided to grind out a lot more research on the models you listed and finally went with the Samsung P2450H. It seems like you are the only active member offering support in the monitors section, MauveCloud. Keep it up your advice really helped me :)