Best Resolution for my monitor and xbox 360

gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
I have a HP w1907 and just bought a 360 with a VGA hookup so I didn't have to purchase a brand new TV too.

The manual is here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00834092.pdf

My native resolution is 1440x900. Supposedly the aspect ratio is 16:10, but 720p , which is good for 360 is 16:9.

The XBOX only allows certain resolutions, and I've tried a few, some of them look weird on my monitor including native 1440x900 which cuts off dark lines on the top and bottom. I know my monitor has some special aspect ratio options you can see in the manual (fill to screen, fill to aspect ratio).

What are the best settings to use to get my 360 looking as it would on a TV?

Solution
thats pretty much how things go. the only real solution that does what you want without quality loss is to have a 16:9 monitor (or tv).

it sounds like you having a hard time seeing people is more a result of you using a 19" monitor to play your xbox360 on. compound that with the fact that you might be sitting further back from the screen then you would if using a pc. the enlarged settings allow you to see the smaller objects but of course quality is reduced. all the screen is doing is manually zooming & cropping.

----

either you can live with the small size and black bars, and have good quality or enlarge the image and live with slightly reduced quality.

there is no other real solution short of buying a 16:9 monitor or television of...
lcd monitors will always look their best when you use the native resolution. in this case 1440x900. if you change the resolution then it has to compensate and this means reduced quality.

the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are caused by the difference in aspect ratio. between 16:10 and 16:9 it would be small, but there will be a bar.

the options to fill the screen will either cut off portions of the video feed by zooming in or distort the image by stretching it. as well as these issues the reduced quality from point 1 still applies.

---

yes you can probably get fullscreen. no it will not be a perfect solution or look the best it possibly could. if it were me i'd keep everything native and live with the black bars.

gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

Alrighty, thanks for the response. I'll try fullscreen w/ native and see how it works. The black bars did hinder the gameplay a lot for me, I had a hard time seeing people that weren't close to me in Black Ops.

When I went to a lower resolution that did fill the screen, it seemed to help with seeing people but obviously the quality wasn't great.

thats pretty much how things go. the only real solution that does what you want without quality loss is to have a 16:9 monitor (or tv).

it sounds like you having a hard time seeing people is more a result of you using a 19" monitor to play your xbox360 on. compound that with the fact that you might be sitting further back from the screen then you would if using a pc. the enlarged settings allow you to see the smaller objects but of course quality is reduced. all the screen is doing is manually zooming & cropping.

----

either you can live with the small size and black bars, and have good quality or enlarge the image and live with slightly reduced quality.

there is no other real solution short of buying a 16:9 monitor or television of a larger size.

Solution

gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

That's what I figured. Unfortunately, don't have the money to do that now. Maybe in the summer though! Til then, I'll try messing around with the settings.